C3 Race Car Build

johng

CCCUK Member
What's your plan to get the spacing off the windscreen surround correct? Are you going to put the glue on the glass or the metalwork?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Glue on glass. Damming strip already on to space it and checked the trims fit. Top one is a little bent but should work with some persuasion. The bits of tape all line it up.

johng

CCCUK Member
I found there wasn't much room across the top the of the screen and I was concerned that the glue might get into the trim strip clips, so I put on the top trim strip straight away before the glue dried. A rubber mallet got it into place without breaking the screen! Have you done a trial fit of the top trim strip? I found that I needed to reposition one of the outer clips to get it to fit properly. Final thought, it's quite hard to get the screen into place without wiping some of the glue off, by catching the top of the screen on the surround whilst you are getting the bottom in place. I'd give it a couple of trials without the glue on first.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks. Tried it a couple of times so far.
Will do a few dry runs with my Dad. Seems best plan is to position it on the bottom first then the top. I’m surprised that there’s only about 1/4” of the screen that will actually be glued in all the way round.

johng

CCCUK Member
I’m surprised that there’s only about 1/4” of the screen that will actually be glued in all the way round.
Yes it doesn't seem much, that's why Andy used a double sided tape. I could put plenty across the bottom, but your screen doesn't have such a deep blacked out area at the bottom as mine. Good luck with it anyway.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yes it doesn't seem much, that's why Andy used a double sided tape. I could put plenty across the bottom, but your screen doesn't have such a deep blacked out area at the bottom as mine. Good luck with it anyway.

My concern with the double sided tape is that it might not have enough give as there’s not an entirely uniform gap alll the way round. More at the sides than the top and bottom.

johng

CCCUK Member
Yes, I was concerned that it would only give you one shot at positioning the screen, I wanted to be able to move it from side to side and I did need to do so.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My blue Corvette looks a bit like that at the moment - I removed the rear bumpers to make them shiny. Blimmin rusty old bolts though, had to cut one off. Also only appear to be held one with only 3 bolts per side - the fourth bolt in the lower "fang" parts both side (aka the bit next to the number plate) weren't fitted to mine. But then, the brackets that go down to those locations are also missing too. Hey hum, weight saving I guess as the bumpers were solid on with only 3 bolts.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
My blue Corvette looks a bit like that at the moment - I removed the rear bumpers to make them shiny. Blimmin rusty old bolts though, had to cut one off. Also only appear to be held one with only 3 bolts per side - the fourth bolt in the lower "fang" parts both side (aka the bit next to the number plate) weren't fitted to mine. But then, the brackets that go down to those locations are also missing too. Hey hum, weight saving I guess as the bumpers were solid on with only 3 bolts.

There should be a round bar

8B6C76F9-C70E-4584-82F8-203B262C61EF.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
There should be a round bar

View attachment 12294
Thanks for the pic. I saw on a technical diagram of the Vette that it should have a bar going down to mount that 4th bolt for the bumper. But the photo above demonstrates it much nicer than the diagram. The bumpers seem to stay on solidly with just two bolts - I drove it for a bit with only the two middle ones as it needed to go to the garage and I gave up getting the bolts off after getting the outside ones off (near the wheels) which were a PITA to get off. Prior to that it only had 3 bolts and I was completely unaware and it seemed solid. One day I might make it more factory like.... a trip to a fellow "CK" (Corvette Kingdom) might be in order..... but its low priority.

As an aside, I also have small rectangular white lights both sides between the missing bracket and the exhaust. Not sure what they are, as for some reason they are not connected up. Only noticed it whilst doing the bumpers.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I think the extra light is for the spare wheel.
Apologies, these lights they are on both sides and are externally facing out through the lower rear valence. My first thought was reverse lights. I need to find my voltmeter and see if they get power etc. They have been disconnected since before I got the car, so there must have been a reason.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Aha! That'll be it then thanks. I'm guessing the reverse switch on mine had died before I got it and someone just disconnected it. One for investigation methinks.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Partly mounted the front grilles, need to make up some brackets for the top each side and then disassemble, clean and paint before mounting the indicators, which I’m having a bit of trouble with as one of the bulb holders is dented and I can’t get the bulb out.
79415CEB-6F69-42DF-80B9-25F4DCC3E568.jpeg