C3 Race Car Build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
They’re the L88 flares which are homologated as part of the long distance kit you could by from Chevy dealers, front and rear flares and fixed headlights. So yes front too. Will probably run a 10.5” or 11.5” Avon on the rear and 9.5” on the front.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
They’re the L88 flares which are homologated as part of the long distance kit you could by from Chevy dealers, front and rear flares and fixed headlights. So yes front too. Will probably run a 10.5” or 11.5” Avon on the rear and 9.5” on the front.
Cheers - You may know, but when a C3 L88 was sold new it came with the Flares unattached and in the back of the Vette

Keep posting - We enjoy!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks DV, didn’t know that the flares actually came with the L88s

Replaced the rear body mount bracket, will leave drilling the hole until I can trial fit the body.

Can’t get the pivot bolts out for the trailing arms, think the sleeves have rusted to the bolts, looks like I might have to saw them unless someone’s got another idea?

johng

CCCUK Member
sawing them seems to be the favourite method, can't see what else you could do really. I was lucky mine both knocked out.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Cut them with a saw, only took 4 blades.

Garage looks like a bomb site but got the chassis stripped apart from the diff crossmember which isn’t budging, so left it to soak. Broke my ball joint splitter so bottom arms are still attached to the uprights.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Great shot
Transverse Engine
A touch of the Sir Alex Issigonis
Looks like you can not get away from racing the iconic Mini

Getting short of room to put rusty bits of crap!

Managed to get the crossmember off with the use of a bearing puller. Noticed that the threads a stripped in the rear diff case, so something else to add to the hideously expensive shopping list.

Box of bits for the front suspension turned up today, just consumables like ball joints and bushes came to almost £700, coming from British and Germany cars I’m amazed how expensive things are.

johng

CCCUK Member
That does sound expensive, although it looks like you have gone for top quality parts. By careful buying over a couple of years (ie when I saw a good deal) I managed to refurbish front and rear suspension for about £400.
John

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It all came from RockAuto, and was the cheapest I could get. Most of the bigger more expensive I’ll get from Scott at CorvetteKingdom.

sublimemike

Well-known user
Remember the grief I had dropping the cross member to get my diff out. I used a puller as well, a 3 jaw one I recall. The cross member is a bit of rust trap so glad I got it out and cleaned it up. When it eventually did give it went with quite a bang !

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Came out relatively easily with the puller I was surprised there was no corrosion at all on the surface that joins the crossmember to the chassis.

Dazaa

Well-known user

Are those ACL flares? I'm currently fighting a set of them on my 71 that refuse to fit properly no matter what I do, yours look much nicer than mine, where did you get them?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Are those ACL flares? I'm currently fighting a set of them on my 71 that refuse to fit properly no matter what I do, yours look much nicer than mine, where did you get them?

Scott at Corvette Kingdom got them for me not sure where they’re from. The fit isn’t good on these either.

As I understand it they kinda fit where they touch and the rest needs glass and filler.

This might help.

71 L88 fender flare install (front)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Chassis now done. Can anyone confirm if the engine mounts have an internal brace where the bolt passes through on both sides or just on the one side like mine?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks John, I was just going to brace it but thought I’d check first in case there was a reason for it to be absent.

johng

CCCUK Member
Just checked, the tube is there on both sides on mine. Can't see why it wouldn't be fitted, I'd think there's a risk of bending the mount without it and it's not like you'd need space under there.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Just checked, the tube is there on both sides on mine. Can't see why it wouldn't be fitted, I'd think there's a risk of bending the mount without it and it's not like you'd need space under there.

Thanks. Will put one on. It has been slightly crushed so does need it. Guess that side was a Friday job in factory!