Drag racing anyone?

richie500

CCCUK Member
What amazing statistics !! :eek: I think I will just stay at home and hide under the bed instead of taking the C3 to the Pod for a few passes :cautious:
In never imagined that the fuel compressed to a near solid state that will nearly hydraulic the pistons , that`s huge forces at play ! I have witnessed the damage done by 225 psi superheated steam carrying water over into 18 x 28 inch steam locomotive cylinders and hydraulicing them . It was very loud and and very messy !
Like you say great stats, however we are talking about a load of old boys (me 56) in their pride and joys, 17 - 20 seconds would be the average run. No g's as it would probably kill most of us, and pit crew (wife/partner/mate etc). but what a blast it would be to pretend for 18 seconds you where Vin Diesel in F&TF (James please tell me you know who that is). I am not into racing, however what great pictures we would all have of our cars lined up at the lights at Santa. Shame

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Like you say great stats, however we are talking about a load of old boys (me 56) in their pride and joys, 17 - 20 seconds would be the average run. No g's as it would probably kill most of us, and pit crew (wife/partner/mate etc). but what a blast it would be to pretend for 18 seconds you where Vin Diesel in F&TF (James please tell me you know who that is). I am not into racing, however what great pictures we would all have of our cars lined up at the lights at Santa. Shame
Only 56 ??? A mere youth then . No wonder you suggested a `Boy Racers` day out ! But who can resist a bit of track day fun ? It would be good to add the Pod to the list of Circuit de Falembre , Curborough , Prescot , Rockingham and Silverstone . :D

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
has the club ever run an event at somewhere like Santa Pod.
Looks like you can hire it out for a club, I thought it would be good as we could run in groups C1, C2, C3 etc
I think a lot of people would enjoy taking their car down the strip.
Maybe next year, give me enough time to save up for some performance mods
We did have a Club visit.to Santa Pod on the Saturday of the last Nationals 2019. More of an outing really but we had about twenty or so Corvettes in the Paddock behind the main grandstand. Not everyone wanted to take to the strip, but maybe half a dozen members had a go at the quarter mile. A mixed bag of results and everyone enjoyed it.

I think there have been numerous attempts at getting some interest over the years but never results in much

The newly formed CCCUK “Track Group” might be able to get something off the ground in the future if there is enough interest. More likely we could join in another Clubs event.(mustangs perhaps).

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Top Fuelers are other worldly things. When i first went to see them at the Pod in the Seventies (Don Garlits) they made 2500 horsepower, now its 10,000.. crazy. You dont just hear them you FEEL them trying to rearrange every atom in your body.
I did a few laps of Rockingham in my RX7 powered Ford Pop.. that was fun screaming it at max revs past the Grandstand. Its all closed now.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Top Fuelers are other worldly things. When i first went to see them at the Pod in the Seventies (Don Garlits) they made 2500 horsepower, now its 10,000.. crazy. You dont just hear them you FEEL them trying to rearrange every atom in your body.
I did a few laps of Rockingham in my RX7 powered Ford Pop.. that was fun screaming it at max revs past the Grandstand. Its all closed now.
RX7 powered Pop sounds fun !! Yeah Rockingham is one big car lot now and Sinch have just bought it to fill with even more cars for the plebs to buy on line ! At least i got to barrel around part of the the banked circuit together with the inner circuit in the Vette at a couple of track events with Sporting Bears and once in my Marcos . The Marcos was best suited to the inner circuit , V8 power and pin sharp handling but the sound bouncing off the wall taking the high line on the bank in the C3 was priceless !

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
9.08 @ 154mph.. not too shaby for an American five seat, production spec, family saloon car straight off the production line.
An upcoming over the air software update should put it in the eights and will get it promptly banned from every Drag Strip.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
9.08 @ 154mph.. not too shaby for an American five seat, production spec, family saloon car straight off the production line.
An upcoming over the air software update should put it in the eights and will get it promptly banned from every Drag Strip.

Thing is though they’re $130k without extras a Dodge Demon was $85k so they’re not really a bargain or actually amazing performance for your dollar.

richie500

CCCUK Member
I think Tesla should name their next car the silent fart.
You cant hear it coming , but it sure does stink......

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
A Demon will do 9s day in day out, time after time. A Tesla will cook itself and need a rest after a run or two. They’re a party piece.

No, not so, IF you can get a Demon to hook up perfectly it will get in the nines.
Tesla have improved their battery and motor cooling hugely.
Watch this space, the Plaid has only just been released, YouTube will soon be full of very quick production cars being beaten by it.

Roscobbc

All that Tesla racing will achieve is the demise of competetive drag racing - all drag racers will be Tesla or generic equivalments and hey, ho within a few years the sport will be like todays Formula 1 racing............B-O-R-I-N-G..................................................

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
All that Tesla racing will achieve is the demise of competetive drag racing - all drag racers will be Tesla or generic equivalments and hey, ho within a few years the sport will be like todays Formula 1 racing............B-O-R-I-N-G..................................................

They will get banned for being too quick without a roll cage soon.

phild

CCCUK Member
I remember us lot in Kent/Sussex used to have drag race sessions at Shoreham Aerodrome in, I think, early/mid noughties.

Was lots of fun until the Health & Safety mob put a stop to it.

I'd be up for something similar.