Dvla question

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All , any on here who have imported from the USA, and went through the registration process with dvla?. How long a) is it likely to take ( bearing in mind covid delays) and B) how long before I should chase them up for a progress report. The not hearing anything is frustrating. How easy would it be for them to send an email saying , β€œ thank you for your application , it has been received and in the system, this should take .. x no of weeks” please dont call us before such and such a date. . Any experinces on long or short waits ? πŸ‘thanks

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That`s the ******* DVLA for you ! They have been a shambles for years but now will be living off the Covid excuse for another 5 years :mad:
My C3 was tax exempt as of April 1st this year , right in the middle of the first lockdown . As you can imagine , it was like flogging the proverbial dead horse ! I had submitted the appropriate paper work having stood in a three mile long socially distanced queue in a stifling face mask at my local Post Office for hours and it dragged on for about 4 months ! Couldn`t get an email or phone response but they still took two tax payments from my bank account . You would think as it is all computerized that it would not be beyond the whit of man to cancel these things automatically :mad:
Having got nowhere with trying to contact them , I cancelled my direct debit payment , and guess what ? I damned soon got a letter saying they could not collect payments and my car should be SORN`d or I was breaking the law ! So I sent a good old fashioned letter by Recorded Delivery to ensure they couldn`t blame it being "lost in the system" and told them the vehicle was tax exempt and demanded the two months payments back they taken after April 1st . That took nearly two more months ! So good luck , keep smiling and I hope you have more patience that I do !

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
How long has it been?
Nearly a month , I appreciate that is not a long time in bureacratic terms , just wondered weather to sit on my hands or chase them up. When i did my beach buggy i left it two months, phoned them and they said they had never received the v5 so charged me 25 quid for a new one πŸ₯΄

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Nearly a month , I appreciate that is not a long time in bureacratic terms , just wondered weather to sit on my hands or chase them up. When i did my beach buggy i left it two months, phoned them and they said they had never received the v5 so charged me 25 quid for a new one πŸ₯΄
Sounds about par for the course , charging you for something they lost rather than Royal Mail losing it !!! If I were you I would keep chasing , as with most service providers , he who shouts loudest and longest gets served first .

mickn

CCCUK Member
This doesn't sound promising for me to collect my new purchase before xmas then. I put a deposit down on a c2 yesterday but the owner is having to replace his private plate with the original, he has been told should be 2-3 weeks, doesn't sound encouraging reading the above posts.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sorry to be doomster mickn , let`s hope you catch them on a good day and things happen more quickly πŸ™‚ But as DVLA are Wales and more restrictions get announced there on Friday and Christmas is coming ( bah humbug !) it`s a big hope :(

mickn

CCCUK Member
Well he has offered to deliver the car to my house, change the plates and for me to pay the balance but I would then only be able to look and drool over it until the paperwork and tax is sorted..........would be far too tempting ;) so I've told him I will wait

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Sounds about par for the course , charging you for something they lost rather than Royal Mail losing it !!! If I were you I would keep chasing , as with most service providers , he who shouts loudest and longest gets served first .
Tried phoning but got passed around then back to original recording. Went online, filled out the enquiry form , all fine until you get to the box asking for the registration number ... which you cant give them because they havent issued one ! ...,so , computer says no !! πŸ˜–πŸ˜€ only a government department could be so inept at what they are supposed to be experts in ! Imagine a business operating at such a manner they would be bankrupt in a year. Pitiful tbh

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Tried phoning but got passed around then back to original recording. Went online, filled out the enquiry form , all fine until you get to the box asking for the registration number ... which you cant give them because they havent issued one ! ...,so , computer says no !! πŸ˜–πŸ˜€ only a government department could be so inept at what they are supposed to be experts in ! Imagine a business operating at such a manner they would be bankrupt in a year. Pitiful tbh
Well , finally spoke to s lady who checked and my application is not even on the system , no note of it being received , no reference no no nothing. Advised to wait at least 8 weeks from posting it before contacting them again. Funny how they can still get a speeding or parking fine out within a few days mind 😀

johng

CCCUK Member
A while back the post office sent my log book back to DVLA to register it as an historic vehicle. 3 months later I'd had no reply so I phoned them and they told me they had never received it and anyway my car wasn't eligible for historic vehicle status for another year. Oh and I would have to pay Β£25 to get a replacement! So I paid up, got a new log book and a further 2 months later received another new log book with my car registered as historic!! Good luck.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Unfortunately this is all too common guys and I know that our few posts are only the very small tip of a very large iceberg ! P ups in a brewery don`t even come close :mad:

RAWZA

CCCUK Member
what documents do you need to register your corvette as historic vehicle mine is sorne`d and mot has just ran out first reg 1st jan 1980 looked on dot gov web site and it says no tax or mot needed just the v5 doc is this correct ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The instructions I was given when I finally made contact with a human being at DVLA ( It was through a medium though :LOL: ) was to take the V5C plus MOT certificate and insurance certificate to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax . There was then another form to fill in and send off to DVLA . That was the easy bit ! Then the fun and games really start and you will probably lose the will to live before you get anything from the DVLA :rolleyes:

johng

CCCUK Member
I've just done an old motor bike. It was Sorn'd and I filled in a form V112 from the gov.uk website to declare it was MOT exempt. Took this with the log book to the Post Office. The man there said I didn't need the V112 and gave it back to me. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago, I haven't received a new log book yet, but the gov website now says that my bike is taxed.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Sorry to be doomster mickn , let`s hope you catch them on a good day and things happen more quickly πŸ™‚ But as DVLA are Wales and more restrictions get announced there on Friday and Christmas is coming ( bah humbug !) it`s a big hope :(
Well the DVLA have come up trumps, car back on the original date related plate last week, new V5 issued so should be collecting the C2 on Friday :)