Dvla question

mickn

CCCUK Member
Oh joy unconfined ! I big relief I am sure (y)
Certainly is, although the bank did their best to spoil it. They wouldn't let my wife transfer the balance across because there have apparently been a number of scams lately, they suggested we get the seller to come to the bank with me to sign the registration documents in front of them to prove that he had a car to sell me, then they would transfer the money.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This doesn't sound promising for me to collect my new purchase before xmas then. I put a deposit down on a c2 yesterday but the owner is having to replace his private plate with the original, he has been told should be 2-3 weeks, doesn't sound encouraging reading the above posts.
He should be able to do that plate swap online, have used the dvla online system and it is actually really simple πŸ‘

silver50

Busy user
I must give DVLA a little bit credit in that most times I rung in recent times I got someone helpful on the phone.

First registration for my c5 being the reason I rung. It did all take weeks to do though. They unfortunately sent everything back (after about 5 weeks..) because a letter enclosed didn't have a date on the letter. This was frustrating as I found it inconsequential to my application. On sending it all off again I was able to get updates on the phone ok after a few weeks. However, on finally receiving my V5, they suffixed instead of prefixed the S for 1998. It therefore looked like a 1978 S. Great.

On firstly ringing about this I was massively annoyed to be told I'd have to write in about it and expect to wait another 6-8 weeks! I however rang again and got someone much more helpful who seemed able to open a case about it and said they marked it as priority and they gave me a case number. I was concerned it might still be a lengthy process to resolve but to give them their due (on ringing again..) they said it was almost sorted and verbally gave me the correct new reg number. The new V5 came a few days later in the post. One thing I don't understand is why all I have is "CORVETTE" only on the V5. No sign of "Chevrolet" and no "C5", both of which were on my application. Doesn't really matter though.

This was just a few weeks ago. The saga continued when I went to apply a personalised plate. The online system wouldn't let me (seemingly because of incidences attached to my recent application) apply the plate to my car. Again the first person I spoke to said to post it in and allow 6-8 weeks! Aaaargh!!

I have had to send it off to them to do with my retention certificate, but I don't think it'll take forever (hopefully..). There is no reason I can see my plate won't be applied ok.

So that's my DVLA saga. not awful, not great.

Last edited:

mickn

CCCUK Member
Well as I previously posted my DVLA dealings were going swimmingly with my C2, until I received the V5. Apparently my name is now Michael Michael............

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There is now a Covid outbreak in the DVLA so the whole place will probably close down for a few weeks ! Will anyone notice the difference ?? :unsure:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
There is now a Covid outbreak in the DVLA so the whole place will probably close down for a few weeks ! Will anyone notice the difference ?? :unsure:
Ffs 😩 been waiting for the post everyday, then I saw the dvla are closed til the 4 of jan, now covid ! Bought my 72on 8 aug , Had the car since oct 24 , still not on the bleddy road , talk about frustrating 😀

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I feel your pain Mad4slalom . All you need now is Wales to retaliate for all those pillocks rushing off to climb Pen y Fan over last few days and you might not get it until next New Years Eve .:mad:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I feel your pain Mad4slalom . All you need now is Wales to retaliate for all those pillocks rushing off to climb Pen y Fan over last few days and you might not get it until next New Years Eve .:mad:
Yes you could be right chuffs, I am in cornwall , and during the lockdowns when no one was allowed in to wales there seemed to be an fair amount of welsh surfers in down here . The field car park at watergate was busier than a normal summer bank holiday and this was October . !πŸ˜–

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Mad4 , that`s why we are in the mess we are in because of all the idiots that think rules don`t apply to them . Whereabouts in Cornwall do you Hayle ( get it 🀣 ) from ? We love Cornwall and holiday down there quite a lot , it`s a stunning part of the world .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi Mad4 , that`s why we are in the mess we are in because of all the idiots that think rules don`t apply to them . Whereabouts in Cornwall do you Hayle ( get it 🀣 ) from ? We love Cornwall and holiday down there quite a lot , it`s a stunning part of the world .
Good one πŸ€£πŸ‘ , between newquay and st austell so nice and central for my piano moving work and can be at the beach on either coast in 25mins . Looking forward to some corvette cruising in 2021 πŸ‘

silver50

Busy user
I was quite taken aback in getting my V5 back (see above- with the personal plate assigned) so quickly. As it said on their website, 2 weeks for reg change. Spot on. Having to manually send those docs concludes my registration saga. Phew..

Also felt like a long haul from start to finish. In hindsight I wish I had had the the first registration application 100% ready to send on getting my MoT. I faffed about for 2/3 weeks before posting it off. Can’t blame the DVLA for that though!!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Good one πŸ€£πŸ‘ , between newquay and st austell so nice and central for my piano moving work and can be at the beach on either coast in 25mins . Looking forward to some corvette cruising in 2021 πŸ‘
Only 25 mins to a choice of beaches ! I am not jealous at all !! Try being stuck in the East Midlands and 3 hours from a beach in any direction :( . Back in my footloose and fancy free days I had friends down in London Apprentice near St . Austell , fun days 😊 .My better half and I have holidayed on the Lizard several times as well as in the Fowey area . Also have happy memories of a few pints of St. Austell bitter and the largest mixed grill I have every eaten in a pub at St. Blazey during an overnight stop at the railway depot there whilst working a pair of steam locos down to Penzance ready for a return charter train to London .