Dvla question

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I was quite taken aback in getting my V5 back (see above- with the personal plate assigned) so quickly. As it said on their website, 2 weeks for reg change. Spot on. Having to manually send those docs concludes my registration saga. Phew..

Also felt like a long haul from start to finish. In hindsight I wish I had had the the first registration application 100% ready to send on getting my MoT. I faffed about for 2/3 weeks before posting it off. Can’t blame the DVLA for that though!!
Yes I was the same as it seemed quite daunting , then it was rejected through lack of original us registration so now re applied and playing the waiting game. As you said if it is something that can be done yourself online then the system is pretty good, 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Good one 🤣👍 , between newquay and st austell so nice and central for my piano moving work and can be at the beach on either coast in 25mins . Looking forward to some corvette cruising in 2021 👍
Just to continue the Cornwall game, and because Chuffer said Hayle - my folks' house (where I was brought up) is just outside of Hayle. Fab times down there being so close to many beaches. Godrevy and the dunes were my favourite.

As to the DVLA - I struck lucky I think, as I just got my new driving licence back before they closed.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ffs 😩 been waiting for the post everyday, then I saw the dvla are closed til the 4 of jan, now covid ! Bought my 72on 8 aug , Had the car since oct 24 , still not on the bleddy road , talk about frustrating 😤
Well , just an update really, phoned the dvla today to try to get an update on my application. I re applied on the 13th dec , bearing in mind That I am on the system now with a named case operator (or so i thought) with a ref number And that I addressed it to the same person quoting all ref no’s etc I was hoping it wouldnt have to go to the back of the queue again.
Wrong! It hasnt been opened yet and not showing on system yet! So no idea🥴

johng

CCCUK Member
Sent my Corvette log book to DVLA on 7th Dec to change the colour. Haven't got it back yet, but gov.uk is today showing the colour change so should get it soon. However, I sent a motor bike log book back mid November to change it to a historic vehicle and no sign of that yet!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I ought to pull my finger out and get mine done. Were you missing the original title for yours or something?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Appalling state of affairs ! It sums up what`s wrong with bloody country . Crap service is the norm :mad:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I ought to pull my finger out and get mine done. We’re you missing the original title for yours or something?
Yes, the vendor had to return the registration and plates as they didnt have titles in NY State till later than 72. I had copies of front and rear of the changes section of his original reg stating that ownership was transferable If the reverse said transferable. Blah blah blah 😩🥴😖getting well fed up now, just want to try the feckin thing 😤

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yes, the vendor had to return the registration and plates as they didnt have titles in NY State till later than 72. I had copies of front and rear of the changes section of his original reg stating that ownership was transferable If the reverse said transferable. Blah blah blah 😩🥴😖getting well fed up now, just want to try the feckin thing 😤

At least it’s winter, the weather is crappy and we’re in lockdown.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've just changed the address on all my vehicles to my new house. All done online with the DVLA, and their confirmation states my new log books should be with me in 5 days. Be interested to see how long it takes.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I've just changed the address on all my vehicles to my new house. All done online with the DVLA, and their confirmation states my new log books should be with me in 5 days. Be interested to see how long it takes.
Those straightforward changes in my experience online have usually come back quite quickly 2/3 weeks. I think its a manpower, 😱oops “personpower thing With the new registrations where its a physical thing and a case officer has to go through everything. I suspect its like two mot stations can find different issues on the same vehicle, just depends who you get . Good luck 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Indeed yes, I expect the automated stuff to come back through very quickly. I was just posting as its DVLA related. Credit due to the DVLA, my new driving licence came back quickly.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Oh dear!.. same old, same old. I took my log book into my local vehicle tax Post Office 1st April with 'Historic' filled in plus 'Yellow' (its not Orange as stated). They told me the car isnt eligible yet. I was sure it was but the DVLA website still had the previous years info on it which was confusing so i phoned DVLA only to be told its not eligible until next year, i tried arguing but its like talking to a brick wall. A couple of weeks passed and they finally updated their website and there in black and white it said if registered before the 8th Jan 1981 its eligible so back i go to the Post Office with a printed out screenshot. They agreed that it appeared to be eligible but said i would have to send it to the DVLA myself. Back home, i print off a screenshot of the procedure which states that the Post Office have to check my documents and send it to DVLA and back i go for the third time. After a short argument they took my log book off me but refused to check my documents and no forms were completed. Im now expecting the log book to go missing.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
This comes as no surprise unfortunately Derek , I had the same myself last year when my C3 hit 40 . It is an appalling example of bureaucracy and incompetence between DVLA and the Post Office .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The 8th Jan threshold has been in place for some time, it’s obviously done to their advantage. Last year I had a 1980 to register, as always I put 01/01/ and 80 as it was a 1980. DVLA accepted it, and no road tax was paid. On US titles ( log books) they only list year of manufacture unlike ours which list date of first registration as the year, worded as declared new at date of first registration. Hence how some Triumph stags have S and T registration plates along with 1978 log books to match, yet they were last manufactured in 1977.

johng

CCCUK Member
Oh dear!.. same old, same old. I took my log book into my local vehicle tax Post Office 1st April with 'Historic' filled in plus 'Yellow' (its not Orange as stated). They told me the car isnt eligible yet. I was sure it was but the DVLA website still had the previous years info on it which was confusing so i phoned DVLA only to be told its not eligible until next year, i tried arguing but its like talking to a brick wall. A couple of weeks passed and they finally updated their website and there in black and white it said if registered before the 8th Jan 1981 its eligible so back i go to the Post Office with a printed out screenshot. They agreed that it appeared to be eligible but said i would have to send it to the DVLA myself. Back home, i print off a screenshot of the procedure which states that the Post Office have to check my documents and send it to DVLA and back i go for the third time. After a short argument they took my log book off me but refused to check my documents and no forms were completed. Im now expecting the log book to go missing.
Derek, as you may have seen on page 1 of this thread, my log book disappeared into the DVLA for 5 months in similar circumstances to yours, but did eventually return with historic status.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Oh dear. Hopefully you will get it back all OK.
Again, a clear case of one organisation not working in conjunction with the other one, in an area where the should.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They ( the post office) are MORE than helpful in checking/ ensuring everything is OK for the user on passport applications, but they charge you for doing so. No such fee for road tax applications.
The old saying, money ( your fee) talks.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
... they took my log book off me but refused to check my documents and no forms were completed. Im now expecting the log book to go missing.

Update: A duplicate log book arrived in the post today with nothing changed, colour still incorrect & no change to taxation class. In a seperate envelope a letter from DVLA stating that i need to fill in a V10 and send it back with the V5.
No mention of the V10 here... Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax but maybe thats what the post office should have got me to do and didnt.
Lets see what happens now...