Dvla question

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Thanks. I shall be writing some emails when this is all over, they need to cut the post office out of the process thereby cutting out a level of astounding incompetence.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You will have to a have a very large lemonade at the Globe Inn on Sunday to get over it . :D

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Oh dear!.. same old, same old. I took my log book into my local vehicle tax Post Office 1st April with 'Historic' filled in plus 'Yellow' (its not Orange as stated). They told me the car isnt eligible yet. I was sure it was but the DVLA website still had the previous years info on it which was confusing so i phoned DVLA only to be told its not eligible until next year, i tried arguing but its like talking to a brick wall. A couple of weeks passed and they finally updated their website and there in black and white it said if registered before the 8th Jan 1981 its eligible so back i go to the Post Office with a printed out screenshot. They agreed that it appeared to be eligible but said i would have to send it to the DVLA myself. Back home, i print off a screenshot of the procedure which states that the Post Office have to check my documents and send it to DVLA and back i go for the third time. After a short argument they took my log book off me but refused to check my documents and no forms were completed. Im now expecting the log book to go missing.
Update: A duplicate log book arrived in the post today with nothing changed, colour still incorrect & no change to taxation class. In a seperate envelope a letter from DVLA stating that i need to fill in a V10 and send it back with the V5.
No mention of the V10 here... Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax but maybe thats what the post office should have got me to do and didnt.
Lets see what happens now...

Blessed be the Goddess Freyja! (Goddess of Battle).. My Logbook has arrived with Tax class Historic and Colour Yellow.. that only took three months!

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
OMG!!........ Call me stupid!!!
I thought tax exemption came automatically after a vehicle turned 40?? Not bloody forms to fill in!
Luckily mines not ready for the road yet but out of interest just went on DVLA website and they tell me my car is 40 years old and mot exempt but then would charge me £280 to put it on the road! 🤦‍♂️
I would appreciate any heads up you guys could give me 😊

johng

CCCUK Member
The mot exemption comes automatically, but to get the free tax you have to get your car registered as a historic vehicle. This means sending your logbook to Dvla via the post office. Do this as soon as you can as it will probably take ages.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
The mot exemption comes automatically, but to get the free tax you have to get your car registered as a historic vehicle. This means sending your logbook to Dvla via the post office. Do this as soon as you can as it will probably take ages.
I gathered that reading the above posts as it doesn't sound as straightforward to DVLA to sort out.
Cheers 👍

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Its stupid and ridiculous that the Post Office is in any way involved in this process and i wrote an email yesterday to the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group to say so, i received a reply back that said they have passed my email onto Sir Greg Knight MP.
In Ye Olde times the Post Office would have been involved to physically check your documents but thats not needed anymore, tax MOT & Insurance are all on computer databases. The Gov.uk page should be amended to say download a V10, fill it in and send with V5 direct to the DVLA taxation class department.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
Its stupid and ridiculous that the Post Office is in any way involved in this process and i wrote an email yesterday to the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group to say so, i received a reply back that said they have passed my email onto Sir Greg Knight MP.
In Ye Olde times the Post Office would have been involved to physically check your documents but thats not needed anymore, tax MOT & Insurance are all on computer databases. The Gov.uk page should be amended to say download a V10, fill it in and send with V5 direct to the DVLA taxation class department.
I totally agree Derek, sounds like you had a right game 😡

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
On another note, why were you asked to fill in a V10? 🤔