Electric cars will be the Savior of classic V8's

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Just posted this in the drag racing thread but i think it deserves a thread of it own...

The sooner the UK fleet of 'going to the Supermarket/skool/work' runaround cars are replaced with electric cars the better.. once local air quality around schools and in inner cities improves and the Gov can boast about reduced CO2 we will be able to enjoy our classics without the accusing finger being pointed our way. The electric car will ultimately be the savior of classic V8's.

Classic car ownership and classic racing will continue, actually i think it will thrive and grow.

Obviously, if our rail network still used steam today it would be for the chop pronto and steam locos would be demonised like nothing else. Given that most of the network is either electric or being converted to electric nobody bats an eyelid at our Heritage railways and the rare mainline steam train. Are electric trains the spawn of satan?.. i dont think so.

I can see one of the age old arguments rearing its head already... how can you reduce CO2 if all youre doing is shifting the power generation to the oil/coal fired power station?.. that argument certainly had some merit some years back but the shift away from oil & coal has changed that significantly and will continue to do so. The difference is that you can change what powers the grid whereas a few million combustion engines will never be clean.

Another favorite argument is that making batteries is dirty business.. yes, of course it is, but do you really believe that its worse than oil extraction, transport, refining, more transport and the associated accidents that go with that?.. it isnt. A lot of studies used to discredit electric cars fail to factor in that lot (there is a huge amount of misinformation no doubt partly backed by oil companies and those auto makers still dragging their feet). The metals from a Lithium-ion battery that is past its sell by date can be recycled and reused in new batteries. Eventually we will get to a point where there will be no need to dig up these materials, a constant recycling industry will have developed.

How will the grid cope?.. better than now because 99% of electric car charging is done after midnight so you wont have to keep shutting down capacity at night and ramping it up in the day.

Will electric cars 'save the planet'?.. no, of course not.. the planet will look after itself without us arrogantly thinking we can save it.

A few years ago just before a Traction engine weekend, there were around ten steam engines towing caravans making their way up the A6, a wonderful sight. Sure, they were making a fair bit of smoke but in the greater scheme of things thats insignificant.. every time a Volcano decides to get a bit frisky the smoke from a few heritage engines pales into insignificance. If they can survive, so can we. Nobody will be bothered about a few classic V8 C8 Vettes on the road in another decade or two.

The electric car will ultimately be the savior of classic V8's... discuss (if you want) or ignore... up to you...

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The car of the future will be self propelled - it will never need to stop for re-fueling or a battery charge or replacement

It will be fueled by nuclear fusion; boiling water - producing steam - powering a turbine - producing electricity to provide the power for motion

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
The car of the future will be self propelled - it will never need to stop for re-fueling or a battery charge or replacement

It will be fueled by nuclear fusion; boiling water - producing steam - powering a turbine - producing electricity to provide the power for motion

Ohhh kaayyyyy... and i thought that 'Mr Fusion' was the future.

A nuclear powered steam turbine eh?.. i doubt i will still be around to see that...

...and i have one or two concerns :unsure:

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Evil Electric trains holding a meeting plotting to close down the local Heritage Steam Railway and get James the red engine cut up and scrapped.
Never ever trust an Electric train, just look at their faces, nasty scheming things. Theyre just like the aliens in 'Independence Day', when a Steam train says 'what is it you want us to do'?.. electric trains say 'Die' (in an evil sinister voice)...
Bedford sidings.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Then along came Gordon and blew smoke and steam all over the nasty electric locomotives and they all ran off screaming , never to be seen again ! And all the other engines lived happily ever after . (y)
This is the the original , genuine Gordon that inspired the Reverand Audry to write the Thomas the Tank stories . It is named after General Gordon and was an ex WW 2 military loco built for the war effort and was based on the Longmoor Military Railway at Bordon in Hampshire . For many years she was in working order on the Severn Valley Railway and I worked on it many times as a fireman and the driver . Sadly he is now in retirement in a museum . ( a bit like me I guess ! ) :LOL:Gordon.jpg

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
This is the the original , genuine Gordon that inspired the Reverand Audry to write the Thomas the Tank stories . It is named after General Gordon and was an ex WW 2 military loco built for the war effort and was based on the Longmoor Military Railway at Bordon in Hampshire.

Wow!.. 2-10-0 ?? thats an impressive piece of engineering.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Wow!.. 2-10-0 ?? thats an impressive piece of engineering.
Wow indeed ! The design was improved and modified during British Railways standardization design plan and morfed into this beauty , the BR Standard Class 9F heavy freight locomotive of which 251 were built right up to 1960 . First withdrawals from service were in 1964 when they were hardly run in !!!
Fantastic locos , monsterously powerful , easy to service and maintain and great to drive and were good for 90 mph on passenger trains . Always a big favourite of mine . :D 9F.jpg

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I was thinking, seeing as our Corvettes will become the Heritage Locomotives of the road... which Loco should they be?
The Dodge Viper can be the Austerity 2-10-0, the Plymouth Superbird is the A4 Pacific, the Gremlin can be one of those saddle-tank 0-4-0 things.
Which loco best represents the Vette?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I would have nominated the sleek A4 Pacific for the Corvette but as you have nabbed that one , how about the LMS Duchess class Pacific ? The most powerful design of loco to run in the UK , just beating the Standard 9F by having 40,000 lbs tractive effect at the driving wheels . The boiler could produce such a high rate of superheated steam that under a rolling road test at the Rugby Test Plant , even two firemen firing in syncronicity could not shovel coal in fast enough to satisfy the appetite to produce more and more power ! A bit like the Bugatti Veyron running out of fuel before it could max out on speed . The Duchess`s are my all time , most favouritist , most wondefulist steam loco ever ! (y) The first time I got to go on` Duchess of Sutherland ` as a fireman I nearly pee`d myself with awe and excitement . When I was promoted to driver a few years later , driving it was something else ! :D6233.jpg

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I would have nominated the sleek A4 Pacific for the Corvette but as you have nabbed that one , how about the LMS Duchess class Pacific ?

Isnt that more of a Destroyer than a Corvette?
I was thinking something like the GWR modified Hall class?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Destroyers and Cruisers...
Think smaller (or far away).
I would say Fowler 4F but i dont think its good looking enough.
Small, powerful, quick, good looking...

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Destroyers and Cruisers...
Think smaller (or far away).
I would say Fowler 4F but i dont think its good looking enough.
Small, powerful, quick, good looking...
If you want , powerful , light weight and very good looking , how about a GWR `Manor` class . Very quick acceleration , lovely sharp exhaust bark and will climb gradients with ease . Drove and fired a Manor for many a mile , cracking locos . I am on Hinton Manor seen here in 1987 46095657491_a3683df16e_c.jpg on the Cambrian Coast line in Wales where they did their most prodigious feats of performance in steam days .