Electric cars will be the Savior of classic V8's

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
So, where was i?.. (the monologue continues)..
At the start of 2020, a record of over 40 million cars, vans, trucks, and buses were registered for use in Britain. Only 200,000 cars, vans and buses are fully Electric so far and another 200,000 are plug in Hybrids.
But what about the 600,000 or so HGVs on our roads (home & foreign registered)..? One alternative that has been tried is powering Trucks with Natural Gas instead of Diesel but the reduction in power output causes problems climbing hills.
It is possible to make fully Electric HGVs. Daimler, Volvo, Tesla, Iveco and others are all bringing EV trucks to market. The problem with them is that they have a maximum Gross weight limit and an operator wants as small a percentage of that to be truck & Fuel and as much as possible to be Payload (goods). For short to medium distance trucking, not a problem, but for long distance the weight of batteries gets to be too high a proportion of the overall weight thereby reducing the amount of goods that can be carried.
I believe the solution has been found by a Texas company who have developed a Hybrid system that uses Natural Gas to power a generator which charges a small bank of buffer batteries which in turn supply power to electric motors (much like a Deltic railway loco). This combines the reduced pollution of Natural Gas with the high Torque of electric motors. Furthermore, by specifying the use of 'Renewable Natural gas' (available in the US) produced by Landfills and farms they can actually claim it to be carbon neutral or even net-negative because you are burning harmful gases that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere.

Roscobbc

The 'BIG' problem for any alternative fueled vehicle in the UK is governments (Tory, Conversative etc etc) who are only interested in promoting new technology during their respective 'tenures' when in power. Anything that an alternative political power put in to action, irrespective of how beneficial to the country would be disposed off. And so it has gone on through the decades and why the UK is not longer the leading aircraft manufacturer in the world - why we no longer produce vehicular transport. And so it carry's on with alternative fuelled cars. HMG decide that ICE cars no longer be manufactured in the UK (2030?)- expect the makers to act on this - throw-out small 'bones' to potential purchasers like zero RFL and zero congestion charges to 'pull-in' the buyer and get them to commit. Once they have done that after a couple years withdraw the 'incentive'. Hybrid vehicles will no longer be produced after 2035 (although rumoured to potentially be far earlier that than). There are commercial hybrid vehicles ready to be released
(The Elon Musk of Essex raises £8.83M for his e-truck startup challenging Tesla - UKTN (UK Tech News)) but typically investment seems lacking from UK investors. Like with Covid our current government wants to show the world we are the leading light in medical research and now in alternatively powered vehicles - they make the decisions and effectivel force commerce to produce the products - doesn't seem to be much consultation with anyone.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Why not develop a natural gas turbine HGV ? A cow poo powered artic ( a semi to our American cousins ) has a certain appeal . (y)
Might have interestingly hot and smelly exhaust gases though . 😝 Seriously though , gas turbine driven locomotives of both mechanical drive and and electric traction motor drive had been in use years ago , both in USA , UK and elsewhere . Loco Number 18000 was a gas turbine - electric loco built by Brown Boveri in 1949 for British Railways . It now resides the Didcot Railway Centre , or at least it was when I last visited a few years back . Real old school engineering as it`s built like a battleship . The British Railways experimental gas turbine loco GT3 had such hot exhaust gases that it fried the undersides of station canopies and any unfortunate person that stood on footbridges it passed under ! :LOL:18000 Old Oak Common 1952  JDC122.jpgGT3.jpg

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
So Daytona Vette tells me it'll be Nuclear powered Steam Turbine cars, now we have Gas Turbine HGVs...
I figure there must be reasons why Gas Turbines never caught on in cars (Rover/Chrysler)... hot exhausts may be just one of them.. dunno, they work well in helicopters.
Gas Turbine cars and railway locos all being in museums says to me 'nice idea but...'
There is no doubt that series hybrid is the way to go, electric motors are perfect for moving heavy loads from rest (something Diesels are rubbish at and can only achieve by using twenty something gears). In the 2020's whatever you use for making and storing your electricity must be deemed to be clean & green, captured cow methane being one option.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The blogosphere was going crazy over an SUV spotted during GM’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) presentation.
That SUV turns out to be a Buick EV concept, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t the potential for a Corvette-branded SUV in the works.
We’ve been hearing about GM creating a multi-vehicle line-up around the Corvette for years now, and with the major push for electrification, this could be the time for GM to act.

The automaker has pledged $27 billion to build 30 new EVs by 2025, and sources familiar with the plans told Bloomberg that one of those could be a new electric vehicle inspired by the Corvette.

Notice the Corvette logo on front and rear
and how they look like a C8 and looks like a total built SUV
The report says that GM has its design team “working on several Corvette-brand concept vehicles to target a wider range of buyers.”

The goal is to “blend (screwup) Corvette’s reputation for high-performance driving and rakish style with creature comforts such as more interior room and storage.”
A Corvette-branded crossover could go on sale as soon as 2025 which fits the timeline for GM’s electrification push.

This would be a pure battery electric vehicle (BEV) and not a vehicle with a hybrid powertrain that could be coming to the Corvette lineup in 2023 as the rumored E-Ray/Grand Sport model.
GM could be that is following in the footsteps of cross-town rival Ford which utilized the heritage of the Mustang to launch the Mustang Mach E. Meanwhile, Porsche has been very successful in launching a number of branded vehicles outside the sports-car platform.

During the CES presentation, GM’s VP of Design Mike Simcoe said GM’s Ultium battery pack enables the company to make a wide range of models, especially for a broad brand like Chevrolet.

“The Ultium platform will allow Chevrolet to further expand its range of electric vehicles to full-size pickup trucks, compact crossovers, and even high-performance vehicles,” he said.

011521_1b.jpg

081020_7b.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
So Daytona Vette tells me it'll be Nuclear powered Steam Turbine cars, now we have Gas Turbine HGVs...
I figure there must be reasons why Gas Turbines never caught on in cars (Rover/Chrysler)... hot exhausts may be just one of them.. dunno, they work well in helicopters.
Gas Turbine cars and railway locos all being in museums says to me 'nice idea but...'
There is no doubt that series hybrid is the way to go, electric motors are perfect for moving heavy loads from rest (something Diesels are rubbish at and can only achieve by using twenty something gears). In the 2020's whatever you use for making and storing your electricity must be deemed to be clean & green, captured cow methane being one option.
The blogosphere was going crazy over an SUV spotted during GM’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) presentation.
That SUV turns out to be a Buick EV concept, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t the potential for a Corvette-branded SUV in the works.
We’ve been hearing about GM creating a multi-vehicle line-up around the Corvette for years now, and with the major push for electrification, this could be the time for GM to act.

The automaker has pledged $27 billion to build 30 new EVs by 2025, and sources familiar with the plans told Bloomberg that one of those could be a new electric vehicle inspired by the Corvette.

Notice the Corvette logo on front and rear
and how they look like a C8 and looks like a total built SUV
The report says that GM has its design team “working on several Corvette-brand concept vehicles to target a wider range of buyers.”

The goal is to “blend (screwup) Corvette’s reputation for high-performance driving and rakish style with creature comforts such as more interior room and storage.”
A Corvette-branded crossover could go on sale as soon as 2025 which fits the timeline for GM’s electrification push.

This would be a pure battery electric vehicle (BEV) and not a vehicle with a hybrid powertrain that could be coming to the Corvette lineup in 2023 as the rumored E-Ray/Grand Sport model.
GM could be that is following in the footsteps of cross-town rival Ford which utilized the heritage of the Mustang to launch the Mustang Mach E. Meanwhile, Porsche has been very successful in launching a number of branded vehicles outside the sports-car platform.

During the CES presentation, GM’s VP of Design Mike Simcoe said GM’s Ultium battery pack enables the company to make a wide range of models, especially for a broad brand like Chevrolet.

“The Ultium platform will allow Chevrolet to further expand its range of electric vehicles to full-size pickup trucks, compact crossovers, and even high-performance vehicles,” he said.

View attachment 12841

View attachment 12840
An electric Corvette and a fecking SUV too !!! By all the gods , is nothing sacred anymore ? Might as well throw myself on my sword right now ! :mad:

Roscobbc

The problem I believe with gas turbines is the 'throttleability' - they are perfect for continual speed running, its changes in turbine speed that are the issue - with turbine running at 80-10K revs there's a lot of kinetic energy energy stored-up that can't be dissipated quickly...........if connected to a generator of some description its not an issue especially if it has storage batteries to absorb the energy. If nucelar waste can to transported in railway containers that are literally unburstable why can't that be downscaled to a sealed universal plug-in nucelar power module that will drive power vehicular transport.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
An electric Corvette and a fecking SUV too !!! By all the gods , is nothing sacred anymore ? Might as well throw myself on my sword right now ! :mad:
I agree Chuffer,

I was sick when I saw this and the hell could be that the SUV version comes out before ZR-1 :(

As you may know the C8 chassis was designed to hold the electric batteries and the front end is designed to easy swap to the
front wheel electric drive for the hybrid Corvette

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If we could harness all the bullshit and hot air that came out of politicians , we could power the UK afinitum !!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The problem I believe with gas turbines is the 'throttleability' - they are perfect for continual speed running, its changes in turbine speeds that are the issue - with turbine running at 80-100K revs there's a lot of kinetic energy energy stored-up that can't be dissipated quickly...........if connected to a generator of some description its not an issue especially if it has storage batteries to absorb the energy. If nucelar waste can to transported in railway containers that are literally unburstable why can't that be downscaled to a sealed universal plug-in nucelar power module that will drive powered vehicular transport.
Very good point Ross .

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
By all the gods , is nothing sacred anymore ?

Apparently not.

Ford having led the way makes it so much easier for them.

The Pontiac Brand turned out not to be sacred when GM needed taxpayers money.

Im all for electric hybrid and electric Vettes but not an SUV.. they have plenty of other brands for that.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I personally think a Corvette SUV is very much on the cards. It will happen.
A friend has one of those Lamborghini SUV’s, come on, a Lamborghini SUV. I bet old Ferrucio is crying.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
A friend has one of those Lamborghini SUV’s, come on, a Lamborghini SUV. I bet old Ferrucio is crying.

Theyre all at it... same with Aston Martin. The thing is with brands like Lambo & Aston they dont have much choice if thats what sells and they need to survive. With GM they can badge SUVs as Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets, GMCs.. why mess with your only sports car brand?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Theyre all at it... same with Aston Martin. The thing is with brands like Lambo & Aston they dont have much choice if thats what sells and they need to survive. With GM they can badge SUVs as Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets, GMCs.. why mess with your only sports car brand?
Head of GM, Barra who is an Obama lover hates gas engines and the Corvette
She will destroy the nameplate before allowing the C9s to gas engines, as she killed off GM sales in Europe and elsewhere
She has turned Sports Cars into SUVs, so the illegal aliens can stuff 8 kids in while jumping the USA border

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Lamborghini started off building perfectly good off roaders , it was called a tractor !! No need to re invent the wheel for ponced up people with more money than good sense ! :mad:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Did anybody spot all those damned Chrysler SUV`s at Silverstone Classic wafting silently about the in field shuttling the posh lot around ? Obviously it was the chosen brand for the corporate mode of transport this year .

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Did anybody spot all those damned Chrysler SUV`s at Silverstone Classic wafting silently about the in field shuttling the posh lot around ? Obviously it was the chosen brand for the corporate mode of transport this year .

Pacifica minivan?

They do that at Silverstone classic as well do they, like Goodwood except they use Rolls for obvious reasons.