First time future C3 buyer, looking for information about model year changes, what to look out for etc.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I have always been amazed when I’ve seen tatty abused junked mistreated Corvettes in the states ( as well as here) because they have always been an expensive purchase at the point before they started to go downhill. They were Never as cheap as chips in the states for Americans to buy. Certainly not new, and were always one off if not the most expensive second hand model year against year available. This is again before the owner let it go to ruin, so why did he. Example, in 1976 a 1965 Corvette Convertible 327 would run at about $1500 dollars. A Hugh amount for a 11 year old car. A 1965 mustang Convertible would be $500.
Same here for tatty Rolls Royce cars, at some point before the car started becoming tatty, that owner paid a lot of money for it. Why did he let it go to ruin.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Probably because the last caring owner traded it for new model whilst still immaculate and the following 15 other owners didn`t give a damn !

Roscobbc

I have always been amazed when I’ve seen tatty abused junked mistreated Corvettes in the states ( as well as here) because they have always been an expensive purchase at the point before they started to go downhill. They were Never as cheap as chips in the states for Americans to buy. Certainly not new, and were always one off if not the most expensive second hand model year against year available. This is again before the owner let it go to ruin, so why did he. Example, in 1976 a 1965 Corvette Convertible 327 would run at about $1500 dollars. A Hugh amount for a 11 year old car. A 1965 mustang Convertible would be $500.
Same here for tatty Rolls Royce cars, at some point before the car started becoming tatty, that owner paid a lot of money for it. Why did he let it go to ruin.
Interesting that things have reversed themselves to a degree - that '65 Mustang fastback can be banging on the door of a midyears Vette and certainly more expensive than most C3 Vettes. Those Rolls Royce Shadows can be almost pence for tatty examples - yet pristine Shadows with 'provenance' have not yet gone stratospheric (exept perhaps 2 door coupes and ragtops)

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Same applies with Jaguars . I had both XJS and an XKR`s in succession . There was a time when you could hardly give an XJS away and in time the values of XK8 `s and XKR really bombed . Now really good examples with history and low mileage of both models are going up like a rocket . If only I had gained my Degree in Retrospective Wisdom back in the day . 😢

Gibbo205

CCCUK Member
Well if all goes to plan looks like Norman's 78 Pace car could be mine in the future. :)

Joining this forum has turned out rather expensive but I really cannot wait, even better I can't wait until this lock down is over and can get on some meets and meet some of you guys potentially and see some other classic American cars. :)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Did anybody see the “new” 1978 Corvette pace car on eBay. It’s only done 7.5 miles. He bought it new, had it titled in the dealerships name and imported it. Never registered here.
I suppose it’s a nice thing to own, but what is the point. You can’t ever drive it for fear of the mileage going up even slightly. He’s asking 40k.
We bought ( deposit paid ) a 1995 Pace car once with 150 miles on it. after careful thought decided against it due to the mileage. The trip from Southampton back to Essex would have put nearly that amount on it, so we backed out of the deal. Realised the car could never be used.
back to the USA would be the best option for this car. Pity he didn’t keep it on the MSO, worth more money that way.
Is it worth 40k I’ve no idea.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Did anybody see the “new” 1978 Corvette pace car on eBay. It’s only done 7.5 miles. He bought it new, had it titled in the dealerships name and imported it. Never registered here.
I suppose it’s a nice thing to own, but what is the point. You can’t ever drive it for fear of the mileage going up even slightly. He’s asking 40k.
We bought ( deposit paid ) a 1995 Pace car once with 150 miles on it. after careful thought decided against it due to the mileage. The trip from Southampton back to Essex would have put nearly that amount on it, so we backed out of the deal. Realised the car could never be used.
back to the USA would be the best option for this car. Pity he didn’t keep it on the MSO, worth more money that way.
Is it worth 40k I’ve no idea.
This is what happens when people buy cars as investments . Cars are for driving in my book , not locking away and drooling over them !!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Might have proved to be a smart investment. In 1978 the exchange rate was $2:40 to the pound. But Pace cars were selling at a premium, as each Chevrolet dealership only got 1 car. Our local Dealership was taking offers for his one. He has obviously enjoyed his ownership of said car even if only by looking at it, starting it up etc.
Might now at 40k be showing a nice return hence the sale.

mickn

CCCUK Member
A few years ago a garage a couple of miles from me (near Southampton) that sells unusual cars from time to time had either a 78 Pace Car or an Anniversary Edition for sell with negligible miles on, it had been sat in a dealership somewhere for years if I remember rightly. Seem to remember he wanted about £40k for it, but as others have said it was unusable really.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Don’t think anybody will ever buy it to drive. Bragging rights only. Museum possibly as a exhibit. Private collector again to say I’ve got one. Yes, a lovely thing to own for owning sake. As a car to actually drive pretty useless.you would be better off with a 25k + mileage one that you could at least use.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Remember the first time I saw one in the UK. It was in Lendrum & Hartman’s showroom ( Main GM official importers ) King Street Hammersmith. it had just been unloaded, filthy dirty, no door decals applied yet. It had arrived with 3 Trans am’s. 2x black/gold bandits, 1 x solar Gold. I spent a lot of time in Lendrums in those days. Lovely people to deal with. Bursting with cars. ( most foreign embassies used “yanks” in those days both as official cars and private staff cars ) dads new 1970 impala came from there. Beautiful car. He liked it so much, he bought it back after he sold it.

Roscobbc

No disrespect intended to anyone who owns a pace car - but some years have literally been awash with low mileage examples - not really sure why someone should invest serious money buying one - if its a low mileage immaculate example, then yes. Some years of pace cars have been rather questionable in terms of body colour and graphics perhaps?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The more the brash the better in my opinion. The old idea of just having an “official Pace car “ decal stuck on the doors in my opinion is sad. At least the first corvette to pace the Indy 500 looked GOOD. Black/ silver a great combination. A couple of hood stripes set it off. Along with a silver interior. Bold, brash it made a statement. Our 1993 Camaro Z28 Pace car was the first to use multi colour graphics, and looked great IMO. The 1994 Mustang that followed was sad in comparison. The 95 Corvette that followed that again was great. Loud brash loved it, and the 98 with its yellow wheels, dad loved his. He loved the wheels.
Love them or hate them, they made a statement. The good old 78 is still a favourite after 42 years and quite rightly so.

Emc

Supporting vendor
I'm not sure I'd be rushing to buy either of the Corvettes they have. The cheap one is cheap for a reason, a whole load of things that look like trouble there! And the £19,995 one looks only partly tempting - its had a "blow over" which seems to need "finishing", no trim down the door shut for example. The seats are a bit shabby, it needs a new, correct colour armrest etc etc... And it has headers - Ugh!
I think I'd be waiting to see the car that Gavin has, from what I've seen of his cars, its almost certain to be nicer!
This car has a rotten bird cage
Trust me

uncle albert

Well-known user
Your choice of c3 will largely depend on your budget...you'll get a rough running driving 75 on car for 7-8k.. a mint chrome bumper,427..could be as much as 5 times that !!!!!!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If you have veeeeeery deep pockets there is a 1969 Big Block Stingray for sale with DD Classics in Middlesex for £49,950 ! :eek: I that floats your boat !