First time future C3 buyer, looking for information about model year changes, what to look out for etc.

Gibbo205

CCCUK Member
Hi Gibbo - Even with the mild engine upgrades , no cat and only Supertrapp tail mufflers on my 1980 plus the standard TH350 three speed auto transmission fitted with a B&M Mega rachet shifter to prevent `over selection ` and missing a gear . It runs the standard 3.08 : 1 diff ratio for mix of cruising capability and reasonable acceleration I have never `lit up ` the rear tyres .
But then I do have a lot of rubber on the road . 295 /45 / 15 `s on the rear and 255/ 55 `s on the front . This era V8`s are more about torque and mid range pulling power . My upgrades give a flatter peak torque curve and it will pull like an express train from about 2000rpm upwards .

I guess I worded it wrong, I'd like to get the car to 250 crank horsepower with basic bolt-ons with the 0-60 around 7s, is that possible on an L48 with basic mods, such as a full exhaust with no cats and a better intake with the car running healthy on regular unleaded fuel? What I want to avoid is something that feels slow be nice to have a car that can go from 20-50mph reasonably OK and does not struggle to go up a hill.

I absolutely want a 1980 onwards, I prefer the looks and I want the automatic.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve never had a corvette that feels slow. A standard C3 is a lovely car. More than enough power for modern driving. They were great back in the day when they were new/ few years old, and they are the same now. The last 1980 I sold was a Red on Red L48 automatic . Totally stock. Pulled away fast, smooth, and with that lovely V8 rumble. Yes, they were cruisers then and they are now.

Gibbo205

CCCUK Member
I’ve never had a corvette that feels slow. A standard C3 is a lovely car. More than enough power for modern driving. They were great back in the day when they were new/ few years old, and they are the same now. The last 1980 I sold was a Red on Red L48 automatic . Totally stock. Pulled away fast, smooth, and with that lovely V8 rumble. Yes, they were cruisers then and they are now.

That would be perfect for me, sorry if I come across wrong, I've never driven a C3 yet, the only Corvette I have driven was a C6 Z06, the yellow one that was in the Top Gear audience on TV back in the day, that is my only experience of a Corvette and that thing was rocket ship fast, I am not after that but I have no idea of these cars and if an L48 drives as you say then I will be absolutely chuffed with it, want it for the looks and noise. :)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I raced a 3000E Capri up Muswell Hill in a standard 75 corvette convertible in the 70’s , boy were we going. He had more bottle than me at the top roundabout. I braked first, he won. Those were the days.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You can’t compare the C6 with a C3. Different time, engineering. A totally different place. A C3 is a old fashioned American car. OLD technology. A nice well proven power plant that’s up to the job, and a nice shifting lazy automatic transmission. Fairly decent brakes, nice light steering, all wrapped in what I think is a beautiful looking car. Exactly how Americans wanted them. Great cars. Get a nice one, you could easily drive it every day. Why not, we did it back in the past, WHY not now.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
The L82 had bigger valves, hotter cam, forged crankshaft and conrods, and a four bolt main I believe. But these cars also had various emissions systems that cancelled power. I would expect exhaust only not to equal L82 power.

Car reviews at the time often preferred the usability of the L48 over the L82.

The L48 is plenty strong enough for normal use and can be modified to achieve well over 300bhp gross with cam and top end mods without sacrificing drive ability. L82 better if you want to achieve higher power and prolonged higher rpm.

The MOT test required visual exhaust inspection for pre August 1975 manufacture. Ie. no smoke and leaks. If you present 1980 car for MOT then not sure what they would expect for exhaust and emissions testing.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Yes, as Nassau65 say, forget that C6! :D A C3 is really no comparison as I know only too well! But, they are great cars, even though most are 40 plus years old! Our '78 is a stack L48, as far as I know, the engine has never been "opened", but it does no have a full dual exhaust, and no cats.

The cat technology back in the late 70s and 80s wasn't that great, so removing an original item will have more effect than it might on a newer car. Our Californian "guru" reckons just doing that will add almost 20 hp! If the stock HEI set up all working and clean, I doubt an ignition change will offer much....

Some years ago, when CCCUK attended an event at Silverstone that I think was called Trax (mainly for hot hatches and Suburau's it seemed!) there was a 0-60 "competition" laid on. June & I thought we'd give it a go - both of us on board with a cooler full of food and drink and two folding chairs. The old thing managed it in 8.2, without me launching in a cloud of tyre smoke and being pretty conservative really. Back "in the day" Car & Driver managed 7.9 in an L82, so I reckon ours did OK!
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the performance of an '80 L48, it'll cruise with traffic and leave some well behind if needs be.

And, if you get the right exhaust, a slow run up a steep hill between houses is always fun - think leaving the harbour at Port Issac - yes, we set of a few car alarms!:cool:

Gibbo205

CCCUK Member
Yes, as Nassau65 say, forget that C6! :D A C3 is really no comparison as I know only too well! But, they are great cars, even though most are 40 plus years old! Our '78 is a stack L48, as far as I know, the engine has never been "opened", but it does no have a full dual exhaust, and no cats.

The cat technology back in the late 70s and 80s wasn't that great, so removing an original item will have more effect than it might on a newer car. Our Californian "guru" reckons just doing that will add almost 20 hp! If the stock HEI set up all working and clean, I doubt an ignition change will offer much....

Some years ago, when CCCUK attended an event at Silverstone that I think was called Trax (mainly for hot hatches and Suburau's it seemed!) there was a 0-60 "competition" laid on. June & I thought we'd give it a go - both of us on board with a cooler full of food and drink and two folding chairs. The old thing managed it in 8.2, without me launching in a cloud of tyre smoke and being pretty conservative really. Back "in the day" Car & Driver managed 7.9 in an L82, so I reckon ours did OK!
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the performance of an '80 L48, it'll cruise with traffic and leave some well behind if needs be.

And, if you get the right exhaust, a slow run up a steep hill between houses is always fun - think leaving the harbour at Port Issac - yes, we set of a few car alarms!:cool:

That be perfect for me, I am just a totally new and I always wanted a classic car and C3 Corvettes I love the looks and the sound. Be very happy with around 7.5-8.5s 0-60 levels of performance, not something I will likely ever do but I will certainly enjoy accelerating slowly and just listening to it, and it shall be driven often when the sun is shining, so maybe not so often in the UK lol.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hehe....That could almost have my Mother in law to a tee! 😃.. A bulky massive
item...65...and always in the way.... God...i hope she's not bought a Vette recently and signed up on here...gulp 😨.
To late ! I think you are already struck off her Christmas Card list .:eek: :LOL:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve always found the difference between the two motors L48 @ L82 to be indistinguishable in my own driving habits. If anything the L82’s were a little bit lumpy from memory. On paper it was a marketing power thing. In later years, I think it became bragging rights to those that had them against the lower street cred L48. I’ve had people dismiss a L48 just because it a L48. The L48 350ci motor is more than up to the job.
Re the MOT, never had any problems with exhaust emissions on 1980/81 cars even with the cat removed. Of course now, even a 1981 freshly imported car will not require a MOT, or road tax.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Gibbo , you will have enough torque to climb a mountain , never mind a hill if the engine is set up right and 0-60 in about 7.5 was epic back in the day and not to be sniffed at now for a 40 year old car ! As I said before , mid range acceleration will not disappoint , and that noise ! it never looses its appeal . As you have never even ridden in one , go on You Tube and search - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Ride at Birmingham NEC 2019 . A guy I took out for a 10 mile blast doing Dream Rides for charity filmed the whole ride and you will see us giving a full fat modded new model Mustang a good chase ! :p (y) He was a bit of a gonk and he referred to it as a Stingray not me ! As we all know that name was dropped in those years .

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Gibbo , you will have enough torque to climb a mountain , never mind a hill if the engine is set up right and 0-60 in about 7.5 was epic back in the day and not to be sniffed at now for a 40 year old car ! As I said before , mid range acceleration will not disappoint , and that noise ! it never looses its appeal . As you have never even ridden in one , go on You Tube and search - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Ride at Birmingham NEC 2019 . A guy I took out for a 10 mile blast doing Dream Rides for charity filmed the whole ride and you will see us giving a full fat modded new model Mustang a good chase ! :p (y) He was a bit of a gonk and he referred to it as a Stingray not me ! As we all know that name was dropped in those years .
I feel like I am gatecrashing Gibbo's thread at times, but only because I am in the same boat and have similar questions, even though we are looking at different years.

I believe this is the video mentioned above by Chuffer? :unsure:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yeah , you got it (y) and don`t worry about gate crashing threads . We are all Corvette nuts that are happy to share info , experiences and help each other out .
Sorry the old Chevy V8 sounds quiet in the video ( it ain`t really ) but as you see the roof panels are out and all you hear is my mates Mustang which he has spent a fortune on modding .

Gibbo205

CCCUK Member
I feel like I am gatecrashing Gibbo's thread at times, but only because I am in the same boat and have similar questions, even though we are looking at different years.

I believe this is the video mentioned above by Chuffer? :unsure:

That video is awesome and makes the C3 look very capable on U.K. roads.

I recognise that Mustang, I used to own an S550 Mustang and I tuned it a lot think I got mine upto 495HP NA as I fitted all the GT350 intake manifold, throttle body and full exhaust to it along with a tune and mine sounded just like that, obnoxious lol. I do miss owning an American car as the car community was fabulous but I’ve had an S197 Saleen Mustang which i fitted a supercharger too and then the S550 Mustang. I want something more chill now and even better looking, hence C3 Corvette.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve always loved the look from the inside out of the C3 generation. Those bulging wings look great as your driving along.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That video is awesome and makes the C3 look very capable on U.K. roads.

I recognise that Mustang, I used to own an S550 Mustang and I tuned it a lot think I got mine upto 495HP NA as I fitted all the GT350 intake manifold, throttle body and full exhaust to it along with a tune and mine sounded just like that, obnoxious lol. I do miss owning an American car as the car community was fabulous but I’ve had an S197 Saleen Mustang which i fitted a supercharger too and then the S550 Mustang. I want something more chill now and even better looking, hence C3 Corvette.
Thanks mate (y) The owner of the mustang has spent a lot on personalizing it upgrades including supercharger and now pumps out 750 bhp and attends a lot of events with the Sporting Bears doing dream rides around the country .