First time future C3 buyer, looking for information about model year changes, what to look out for etc.

Roscobbc

Late 70's/early 80's Vettes, irrespective of whether a L48 or L82 do not reach the performance 'heights' of some the very early 70's small blocks. Having said that many of the late 60's/early 70's Vettes would have come with 'cooking' engines rated with 'gross' HP figures (measured less ancilleries and exhausts). Later cars came with 'nett' HP ratings (all ancilleries etc connected) and perhaps not so much difference in HP outputs as figures would indicate. IMHO if you are looking for 'tyre chirping' performace you might struggle to achieve that with a stock later car which will most likely be optimised for comfortable 'cruise' performance. So expect a low numerical rear axle ratio - this with an auto transmission will hurt tyre shredding performance. With any Vette perhaps check OEM spec' on the specific you are viewing car for optional axle ratio - if you like cog-swapping the close ratio manual transmission is fun. I would guess that you would stand a far better choice of these options with a L82 spec' vehicle.
And this is just a starting point - the world (subject to your bank balance) is your oyster in terms of performance parts........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That lost me... :unsure:
If I read it correctly, you say it will fail an MOT without the cat, but why if there is no 40 year old data as you also say?
I'm not (as I have stated) technically minded, so apologies if the above is clear to everyone but me.... ๐Ÿคช
Sorry ! typo error which seems all too common on the forum :oops: Should read " will not fail " .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Gibbo - Even with the mild engine upgrades , no cat and only Supertrapp tail mufflers on my 1980 plus the standard TH350 three speed auto transmission fitted with a B&M Mega rachet shifter to prevent `over selection ` and missing a gear . It runs the standard 3.08 : 1 diff ratio for mix of cruising capability and reasonable acceleration I have never `lit up ` the rear tyres .
But then I do have a lot of rubber on the road . 295 /45 / 15 `s on the rear and 255/ 55 `s on the front . This era V8`s are more about torque and mid range pulling power . My upgrades give a flatter peak torque curve and it will pull like an express train from about 2000rpm upwards .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Iโ€™ve got 2 coming over soon. A nice 1977 coupe and a 1974 Convertible, both very nice cars. Not cheap but nice. Florida cars all their lives.

Attachments

• D4DC26C2-A5DD-4371-8CD3-C51064E7F378.jpeg
    D4DC26C2-A5DD-4371-8CD3-C51064E7F378.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 436EE231-0C1B-4884-B671-4CB57D191CC2.jpeg
    436EE231-0C1B-4884-B671-4CB57D191CC2.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 12

mickn

CCCUK Member
Each to their own of course but I agree with you, I'm fortunate enough to have a c2 and c3, both convertibles. I have a hard top for the c2 but I'm not sure it will ever go on the car to be honest

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Agreed. My 65 has both tops, hard tops been on twice in 29 years. Soft tops hardly been up either. I always drive it with the top down.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I just like having both tops. Donโ€™t know why. I suppose it completes the car. If I buy a C3 Convertible without a hard top, ( and most in Florida donโ€™t, an unnecessary expense when purchased new ) I always try to pick one up before I ship the car so it has one when it arrives here. To me it completes the car.

mickn

CCCUK Member
The hard top for my c2 sits at the back of the garage on a purpose made trolley, I did toy with the idea of selling it but I had a similar feeling to you in that it sort of completes the car. I really doubt it will ever go on the car, the mother in law has an empty garden store, might have a friendly chat with her ;)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Bulky items to store tho. They always seem to be in the way in the garage. Never liked the idea of hanging them from the ceiling,

v8lee

CCCUK Member
Hehe....That could almost have my Mother in law to a tee! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.. A bulky massive
item...65...and always in the way.... God...i hope she's not bought a Vette recently and signed up on here...gulp ๐Ÿ˜จ.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Hehe....That could almost have my Mother in law to a tee! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.. A bulky massive
item...65...and always in the way.... God...i hope she's not bought a Vette recently and signed up on here...gulp ๐Ÿ˜จ.
She could continue the line of lady owners in that silver convertible