Future C3 Owner Questions

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
From memory a vehicle must be 40 years old on April 1st of any given year . So if a vehicles documentation gives a first registered date after April 1st you have to wait until the following year .

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
My 1981 was built in Bowling Green in July/August and therefore turned 40 over 7 months ago. I was hoping Santa at DVLA was going to give me a New Year's Day gift of zero road tax - I've been waiting a long time. But no, Chuffer is right - I have to wait until 1st April this year. On Monday I cycled to 3 post offices (it was a sunny day) to try and start the process. The first 2 had no idea how to register for 'Historic' class. The 3rd one checked the reg on his computer and said I need to phone DVLA for guidance. After pressing endless 'options' I got through (surprisingly quickly) to a lady who knew all the answers and gave clear instructions. I had to post the following: a letter explaining why my C3 was more than 40 years old, a V10 form (filled in), my log book/registration document, the current MoT certificate and details of how the VIN number proves the build date. I also included a clear photo of the VIN number on the car because I wanted the reg doc to show the correct VIN! Since it was imported in 1993, the VIN was recorded as 1G1A7.... the 5th digit can only be 'Y' for 'corvette'. I copied all the documents and sent the originals (recorded del) to Taxation Team, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF. A bit of hassle but it will save more than £300pa so it's got to be worth it? Oh! and she told me not to use the car until I get the new log book back - which may take 4-6 weeks! The tax on my C5 is due on Friday - gonna have to wait another 19 years for the freebee on this one....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
At least you only have a day to wait now for free road tax on the C3 ! But welcome to the the totally crap world of DVLA , I had all that hassle too. DVLA told me to do it through a Post Offce . the Post Office told me I had to do it direct with the DVLA and I was ping ponged back and forth until I got it sorted . The DVLA is in an appalling state and it has even been brought up in the Parliament that Government should pressure DVLA to get their act together .

Roscobbc

Back when Covic first hit my driving licence came up for its first renewal (when reaching 70 years old). I only had an old 'paper' licence so had to re-apply and go through the performance of a photocard application. You have to send your old licence to the DVLA along with the new application. I did this early 2020, effectively giving them a couple of months to process things before I reached 70 and when the existing licence 'ran out'. You are allowed to continue driving even when the old licence has expired IF you have sent the new application to the DVLA. Unfortunately this was in the early days of Covid and who would have known that they were to 'lock-down'. Perhaps foolishly I simply sent the renewal documentation by first class post using the official DVLA envelope (so not recorded and signed-for) - There was no way of actually tracing my application although in fairness the DVLA were operating a 'virtual' service of sorts on-line and were quite helpful to a point and actually called me. I eventually got my new licence 4 months after sending off the application.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I still stand by my previous comments about DVLA but was amazed back in October 2021 when I hit the big 7 Zero . However I as amazed when I sent off my remewal and mug shot with some trepidation wondering if I would get my renewal before I hit 80 but received it in about three weeks !! Especially as I ticked the box saying "Old License Lost " so did not return it as I wanted to keep my old tatty and much celotaped paper one for posterity .

jukebox

CCCUK Member
Cars 40 years old are exempt from road tax and mot

So nearly all C3’s ( all if you correctly fill in the paperwork relating to a 1982 C3) are now road tax exempt.
Just tried to change my 1982 to historic status from April and was told by dvla can only change from April 2023.
So 41 years old now.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just tried to change my 1982 to historic status from April and was told by dvla can only change from April 2023.
So 41 years old now.
Yes, it all depends on when the car was first registered. I think the DVLA has introduced a cut of date as such, so in some cases it will run into the next year. Not really necessary with all the computerisation nowadays. It should be done automatically, but as money due is involved they want you to keep paying for it as long as possible.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
So 41 years old now.
As said in previous post , if a vehicle is registered on a date prior to April 1st , you have to wait until the next April 1st which in many cases can mean the vehicle is 41 years old in real terms .

Roscobbc

As said in previous post , if a vehicle is registered on a date prior to April 1st , you have to wait until the next April 1st which in many cases can mean the vehicle is 41 years old in real terms .
As Chuffer says, DVLA 'think' is that the car only classifies as being 40 years old 365 days after reaching its 40th birthday - illogically........

ClassicLineInsurance

Supporting vendor
Is there a 'better' company when it comes to the more 'vintage' and modified Corvettes?
I'm with A Plan for the C6 but my brother is saying I should look at Hagerty for a C3 when I have one in my sights? :unsure:
You would be welcome to speak to us as well when you come to look at insurance. Our office number is 01455 639 000 and please do mention that you are a CCCUK member.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Back when Covic first hit my driving licence came up for its first renewal (when reaching 70 years old). I only had an old 'paper' licence so had to re-apply and go through the performance of a photocard application. You have to send your old licence to the DVLA along with the new application.
My dad had to do that last year too during the DVLA's COVID slowdown. If I recall, his licence technically expired due to their faffing, BUT everyone who's licence was going to expire / expired due to slow processing was told they could keep driving until told not to. Something like that.

For me, for all my driving life I've had to deal with the "3 year medical licence" where I have to renew every 3 years and go through testing to be proved ok to drive etc. In the early days, the DVLA said at licence end I could NOT drive until I proved fit to drive. That was a PITA as they'd faff around and I'd have to not drive for a couple of months. Thankfully they changed that many years later to "you can keep driving whilst we assess your fitness, and if you are not fit we'll tell you not to drive". Happily in recent years (and fingers crossed), my fitness level has got ok enough for them to issue me with a standard licence so I don't need to do the 3 year renewal again.

My last renewal was supposed to be during COVID times, and I was panicking about the renewal like my dad was with his 70th renewal. When I finally got through to DVLA it turned out that the standard licence I mentioned above was issued at my last renewal, and thus no renewal was needed. The confusion came about because the 3 year renewal date (in my mind) coincided with the DVLA wanting me to renew the PHOTO on my driving licence, as I believe that is every 10 years - not something I'd encountered as mine was every 3 years previously. So thankfully, all ok there too.

Roscobbc

51npIev5uCL._AC_.jpg

One of these - and being that Vette body is inflammable glass fibre a useful additiopn in the even of an electrical short circuit........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
51npIev5uCL._AC_.jpg

One of these - and being that Vette body is inflammable glass fibre a useful additiopn in the even of an electrical short circuit........
I always disconnect the battery when the Vette is tucked up in the workshop for the same reason . I just hook up the battery to the conditioner each time to keep it healthy.