James Camaro?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I was always been a huge fan of the Camaro right from boyhood and preferred them to the Mustang which I always thought was a bit too ubiquitous . It`s a bit like being a Beetles or a Rolling Stones fan . !966 to 73 for preference as never did much like the chisel front end redesign of the 74 onwards models A mate of mine has a gorgeous yellow Z28 with tan vinyl roof that he has owned from nearly new .View attachment 11034

If we think Mustangs too common what about a Mercury Cougar with the added bonus of being a Bond car.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I liked the car almost as much as Jill St John aka Tiffany Case.

Mind you, plenty O Toole looked good as well.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Been trying to think of a ā€œ star rollā€ the Camaro had, canā€™t seem to think of one.
Mustang, obviously Bullitt, diamonds are forever, gone in 60 Seconds, Charlieā€™s angles,+ a few more
Trans am, smokey and the bandit, hooper, McQ, chips + a few more
Firebird The Rockford files
But the poor old Camaro? I canā€™t think of any ( apart from a very small role in the cannonball run) so small that it wasnā€™t worth mentioning. But I did anyway.

You guys?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, I remember Dad had a mustang 11 Cobra same as farrah fawcetts in CA. Put it in the exchange and mart, phone rang off the hook. Had a queue of people turn up to buy it. It did look the part tho. Wish I had it now.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Been trying to think of a ā€œ star rollā€ the Camaro had, canā€™t seem to think of one.
Mustang, obviously Bullitt, diamonds are forever, gone in 60 Seconds, Charlieā€™s angles,+ a few more
Trans am, smokey and the bandit, hooper, McQ, chips + a few more
Firebird The Rockford files
But the poor old Camaro? I canā€™t think of any ( apart from a very small role in the cannonball run) so small that it wasnā€™t worth mentioning. But I did anyway.

You guys?
To my mind the Camaro never needed the hyp of movie status . It was a great looking car from the get go .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Pontiac always traded on its performance side, and the firebird was often thought of as the sportier of the F- bodies, in reality they were really equal. Although the Pontiac firebird did carry off the larger displacement motors, and of course the hood Phoenix helped it greatly. Both equally good cars, but personally I think the Camaro always lived in the Firebirds shadow through no fault of its own. Both are now true classics with a price tag to match, certainly in their country of origin. Long live F-bodies.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Pontiac always traded on its performance side, and the firebird was often thought of as the sportier of the F- bodies, in reality they were really equal. Although the Pontiac firebird did carry off the larger displacement motors, and of course the hood Phoenix helped it greatly. Both equally good cars, but personally I think the Camaro always lived in the Firebirds shadow through no fault of its own. Both are now true classics with a price tag to match, certainly in their country of origin. Long live F-bodies.

The Camaro was the car in Trans Am for a while, I think Pontiac only had a factory effort for 2 years.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The 69 Camaro elevated itself to iconic status many many years ago, and it was a great car. The hideaways were a great option and looked fantastic. Back in the mid 70ā€™s a neighbours daughterā€™s boyfriend ( who was about 18/9 ) bought a beautiful white one for Ā£250. Didnā€™t keep it long ( as you did in those days) moved on to a white challenger.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just noticed the sponsors on the gen 2 Camaro.
I loved the great smell of Brute. I did indeed ā€œ splash it all overā€ . Still go a 70ā€™s bottle in the garage. Remember the other one they did. Faberge West. Brown bottle. ( it was the 70ā€™s and Brown was the colour)

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Anybody remember Gary Champion out at Bambers Green, Dunmow. He always had plenty of camaroā€™s, mostly 6 pots, but they were Cheap. Loads of flash, for very little cash.