Lesser of two evils? (2)

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Sitting at a long red light.. is it a good idea to do what i sometimes do and drop the auto trans into neutral?.. or are the extra 'shocks' of putting it into neutral and then back into drive doing more harm than good? (probably a product of a lifetime of saving my clutch foot from cramp driving manuals).

Roscobbc

The only time there is any logic on 'knocking it in to neutral' at traffic lights is if you have a modded engine but standard torque converter holding the idle rpm down too low, causing the engine to 'gas-up' and ultimately stall.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I always put my auto `s into neutral if I am stationary for more than a matter of seconds . Why wouldn`t you ??? You only need to get distracted or your foot to slip off the brake , or get nudged up the rear by some other muppet and before you know it you are up the arse of the vehicle in front or half out across a junction . To me it`s pure laziness / lack of mechanical empathy .:eek:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
On the theme of automatic’s, do you drive same with one foot or both feet. I know people who gas with the right foot and brake with the left.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
On the theme of automatic’s, do you drive same with one foot or both feet. I know people who gas with the right foot and brake with the left.
I have never mastered the both feet way of driving . I find I ever brake using left foot braking , probably due to years and years on driving manuals .

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I keep my left foot away from the brake pedal. I also select neutral sometimes at lights or hold ups. The revs are higher in neutral so more free generating less wasted heat in the transmission. On another point, I have had my transmission operating without a hitch since I bought the car in 1980. Other than checking the fluid level occasionally I have never changed the fluid or filter. Am I a bad person?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I keep my left foot away from the brake pedal. I also select neutral sometimes at lights or hold ups. The revs are higher in neutral so more free generating less wasted heat in the transmission. On another point, I have had my transmission operating without a hitch since I bought the car in 1980. Other than checking the fluid level occasionally I have never changed the fluid or filter. Am I a bad person?

1980!.. thats a very long time.. a fluid change wouldnt hurt.