Lesser of two evils? (2)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The fluid in my box is also perfect. Lovey colour.
Obviously a `sealed for life` transmission as claimed by manufacturers of modern cars . The problem is , they consider 10 years to be life expectancy . :(
I have always been of the school of ` change fluid and filter every 70,000 miles ` . When you think of the vital work that lubricants and fluids do in a vehicle , how can the be expected to perform efficiently for ever and a day . Just ask any engineer . Why risk a valuable car or your pride and joy rather than spend a few quid and some time maintaining it properly . :unsure:

Roscobbc

My old factory 'Saturday Night Special' 429SCJ Mustang came with factory 4.11 Detroit Locker and C6. Torque converter was a stock passenger car spec' low stall unit.
With engine ticking over at 650 rpm it would only idle in drive for about 25 seconds at best before loading-up and stalling. Increasing idle to 900 rpm would cure the problem but then it was difficult holding the car back on its brakes. Putting in drive at 900 rpm would generate a huge jolt and 1 second wheelspin......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Dunno if its true or not, but ages back read about the problems of holding your brakes on (any car, but mostly autos for the reasons mentioned) after doing some spirited driving. The issue was that after spirited driving your brakes are very hot, and then stopping and holding the brakes on would localise the heat on the pads against that part of the disc, possibly distorting the disc a bit and also transferring hot pad material to the disc leading to things like a bit of brake judder later on and the feeling of warped discs etc.

I don't drive autos on a daily basis, sorry don't like them, but was amusing ages back on my first go trying out a semi-auto gearbox. It has the change stick where a normal gearstick was, and you pushed forwards or backwards to change gear. So off I set in first gear, all fine, went to change into second and pushed my foot firmly down on the clutch pedal whilst moving the gearstick to change to 2nd....... but of course autos don't have clutch pedals and the person in the passenger seat was super glad they had their seatbelt on that day :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Defintely true about the risk of warping discs after hard braking and then holding car on the brakes . The heat generated at the pads causes hot spots to be trapped on the disc . Potentionally even worse on drilled discs as this can cause cracks across the hot spot area between the holes .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It looks smells and feels OK to me, and even tho it’s been in there for god knows how long, it’s only covered not even 6k miles. Never had any problems with it so I’ve left well alone .
Ever considered all the condensation that can build up in the box from all that standing about and cold starts and probably only short journeys ? That will contaminate the fluid big time . But then then if you hardly ever drive the car I guess it won`t matter to you until it all goes a knacker one day ! 30 years ownership and such little use , why have it ??? :unsure:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
The issue was that after spirited driving your brakes are very hot, and then stopping and holding the brakes on would localise the heat on the pads against that part of the disc etc.

I don't drive autos on a daily basis, sorry don't like them, but was amusing ages back on my first go trying out a semi-auto gearbox. It has the change stick where a normal gearstick was, and you pushed forwards or backwards to change gear.

Fortunately i dont do 'spirited driving' in the Vette so i doubt that will be a big issue for me.
Its more the wear and tear i was concerned about from either holding it back from creeping or the driveline lash every time you take it out and then put it back into Drive.

Your semi-auto sounds like my old Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed from many years ago (also had steering wheel buttons for changing gear).. its a manual gearbox pretending to be an auto actuated by a computer and hydraulics. You could either select fully auto or clutchless sequential manual. Great while it works, not so good when it throws in the towel.