Looking for a '81 Radio - PRO U58

Last triumph

Well-known user
My '81 had a Custom Auto sound retro radio fitted at some point in its life and I want to return it to stock.

My car is equipped with a traditional quartz clock in the centre cluster, therefore came with a radio without digital tuning and clock.
Of all the various factory options, only the base unit RPO U58 came without a digital clock tuner, therefore this is the unit I need.

My challenge is that I'm not 100% certain what a U58 radio looks like to enable me to find one, however I believe it is this one, if anyone can confirm?

1lWolPF.jpg

Does anyone have one in their '81 they could photograph for me, or point me in the right direction to identify exactly what I'm looking for, or confirm the model number of the radio in case it was fitted to other GM cars.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Are you looking for a working unit,
Ideally yes, and in nice (appropriate aged patina) condition.
Could look at a non-working one as a family member is a bit of an electronics whizz, but would prefer working unit - all price dependant I guess.

Having looked at these in all the usual places - USA forums, FB marketplace, Craigs, list, US eBay etc , it appears that other GM cars of the era had similar radios, although the knobs are often chrome/silver and the waveband number surround silver rather than black. I'm only looking for the correct Corvette unit with correct black knobs, surround etc as shown in the picture.

Let me know if you have one?

( I search all the typical vendor locations daily)

Last edited:

Emc

Supporting vendor
Ideally yes, and in nice (appropriate aged patina) condition.
Could look at a non-working one as a family member is a bit of an electronics whizz, but would prefer working unit - all price dependant I guess.

Having looked at these in all the usual places - USA forums, FB marketplace, Craigs, list, US eBay etc , it appears that other GM cars of the era had similar radios, although the knobs are often chrome/silver and the waveband number surround silver rather than black. I'm only looking for the correct Corvette unit with correct black knobs, surround etc as shown in the picture.

Let me know if you have one?

( I search all the typical vendor locations daily)
I have a box full but I cannot say is they work

Last triumph

Well-known user
I have a complete UM5 in good condition not sure if it works, it does take power and hums
Wow, that's a rare and I guess sought after piece of kit!

As my car comes with an analogue clock in the centre cluster, it can only have left the factory with a U58 without the digital clock on the tuner display, so I'll need to keep looking. I absolutely want to have it exactly right and original, but thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There’s one on eBay.com for $230. They say it worked when pulled, take that with a pinch of salt. They are pretty easy to get repaired.

Last triumph

Well-known user
There’s one on eBay.com for $230. They say it worked when pulled, take that with a pinch of salt. They are pretty easy to get repaired.
Thanks, yes, I saw that but it's not from a Corvette and has the wrong knobs and tone/balance rings, which from my research are worth more than the radio itself for some reason. I need to fond one from. '81 or '82 Corvette only it would seem.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You will probably have to complete your search in two possibly three stages. Get the radio until first, then hopefully the knobs and rings together, if not separately.

Last triumph

Well-known user
You will probably have to complete your search in two possibly three stages. Get the radio until first, then hopefully the knobs and rings together, if not separately.
If I have to, that's the route I'll take, but given I've seen knobs fetch over $100 (i mean, really?), I'd rather hold out a while and see if I can find a complete, correct unit.
$230 for one with the wrong knobs is a bit much.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If the corvette only black knobs are as rare as you say, they WILL fetch BIG money. The radio itself is correct for various GM models and as such is worth the $230 I guess. Probably if it had the corvette only black knobs on it, it would be a lot more. These original equipment radio’s were normally tossed away back in the day when the new owner put in his aftermarket sounds. I know I did on my own personal cars.

Last triumph

Well-known user
If the corvette only black knobs are as rare as you say, they WILL fetch BIG money. The radio itself is correct for various GM models and as such is worth the $230 I guess. Probably if it had the corvette only black knobs on it, it would be a lot more. These original equipment radio’s were normally tossed away back in the day when the new owner put in his aftermarket sounds. I know I did on my own personal cars.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open :)

Last triumph

Well-known user
In fact the whole thing was very black.
Like my car....

F0lKun6.jpg

I just a bit binary like that - if 'm returning something to stock, it's either as it left the factory or it isn't. I have a perfectly good, operational, period correct replacement unit in there as the original owner wanted to upgrade to a cassette, so if I'm going to bother to make a change, it has to be worth it - i.e back to exact stock, otherwise I'll stiick with what's in there.

72Bd6Be.jpg