Looking for a '81 Radio - PRO U58

Last triumph

Well-known user
I luxuriantly rejoice in the sound of my engine each and every meter I drive, so never listen to the radio. To be fair, to make it worth listening to over the exhaust, it'd need to be a several hundred watt system with a big sub to even hear it. The standard issue 'Crackle-Master 2000's are decorative at best.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Not content with GM's frankly woeful parts bin attempt at a solution for '77-'82 cars as per below, I decided to make my own.

1640520636387.png

The later console has volume and tone knob pedestals which raise above the surrounding area at the bottom by about 3/16" which requires the cover plate to have this as a recess and to be at least that tall to accommodate this feature - nothing can be done to avoid this.

Here is my first prototype with peg holes to confirm location and check rear recess depth suitability etc. I also used this prototype to test various surface finishes from 600 grit all the way to polished to assess which finish best reflects the satin finish on the native plastic.

The filament used is ABS to replicate that used on the rest of the interior plastics.

First prototype after some surface finish testing....

VmxXiwp.jpg

SeO1b09.jpg

AuPYL96.jpg

This at least confirms it fits, looks good and that I can chose what finish I want from rough all the way to mirror polish.

With the control knob pedestals requiring a certain thickness of cover plate to house them, I decided to replicate the perceived thickness of the segmented panels within the later consoles, including their tapered edges, as well as including the chrome detail, however I decided rather than continue to build further depth extension, I'd recess the chrome detail into a channel of the same width as the rest of the chrome ridges on the interior. I also added a boss on the rear which i can attached threaded rod to, enabling me to affix the plate through the regular radio knob spindle holes in the console.

Second prototype ready for refinement and finishing...

ILwVrK5.jpg

Bevels, angles and depth to match existing console panel design...

GAlaDQM.jpg

Mounting rod bosses...

KtNZ5lH.jpg

This is fresh off the table and needs significant refinement and finishing, but shows what I'm trying to achieve - something that looks like GM actually tried.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Got it finished, but not mounted yet as I need to remove the retro fit radio first.

The trick is to make the finish not too perfect so it stands out, but the right blend of was once perfect but is now a little worn and micro scratched like the rest of the interior plastics. I'll refine it further, but here is the result so far....

5e7gM2n.jpg

I8tKVa2.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Nice job so far. Looking at the time of your post and the time on your clock would suggest it's one of the very rare working ones. Or you adjusted it to make us think that :unsure:

Paint the ash tray cover next

Last triumph

Well-known user
Nice job so far. Looking at the time of your post and the time on your clock would suggest it's one of the very rare working ones. Or you adjusted it to make us think that :unsure:

Paint the ash tray cover next

Pure luck - the battery is disconnected, however the clock does work.

Last triumph

Well-known user
I made one last version and experimented with surface finish to keep it looking more in line with the native plastics and less polished looking.
Finally got it fitted just now.

SMFTSP0.jpg

TR5fJlc.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If it was originally a radio delete car, the kick panels need some thought as they now have speakers in them, which they wouldn’t have had originally me thinks.

Last triumph

Well-known user
If it was originally a radio delete car, the kick panels need some thought as they now have speakers in them, which they wouldn’t have had originally me thinks.
Agreed - they were a retro fit at some point, like the radio just removed - I need to get hold of some original carpet in 152 silver grey and then I can correct and completely reverse the install.