• 16398262789896831339005269296043.jpg
    16398262789896831339005269296043.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 16398263006381988870820501543413.jpg
    16398263006381988870820501543413.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 11

Last triumph

Well-known user
Well I've got one knob and ring now, just need another the same.....

xB0Fv6G.jpg

More research points to these being '81-'82 only, but on every unit.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Update and some great news - I ordered and have just received the original Dealer Invoice for my car which solves a few puzzels, the main one being that it is a fairly rare car, being one of only 315 with radio delete! Someone fancied themselves as a race car driver, as they ordered Gymkhana suspension too, so I'm over the moon with all that.

I guess my search has now shifted from needing a radio to needing a '77-'82 radio delete blanking plate as per below...

1640206939936.png

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
That looks bloody awful

Doesn't it just. I might stray away from 'correct' and make my own - 3d printed or CNC milled or whatever as clearly that was taken from another GM model with faux leather dash plastic mouldings. It is however the right part from my research.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Here’s a factory photo from a NCRS judging manual

If my new vehicle came looking like that I would be very disappointed.
05CC7ABC-D24E-4682-A1A7-476B622F0E1E.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The plate was probably not specific to Corvettes, just the standard plastic cover for GM.
The earlier 1968-76 produced in metal look so much better.

Last triumph

Well-known user
The plate was probably not specific to Corvettes, just the standard plastic cover for GM.
The earlier 1968-76 produced in metal look so much better.

Agreed. I'll likely fashion up something much nicer myself with the correct chrome trimmed raised edges to match the surround etc.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Never understood why anybody would order a new car without some sort of radio.

I guess it harks back to the 'race car' spec mentality - the guy ordered, black, silver leather, 4 speed, Gymkhana suspension and radio delete - that's a very specific set of options.

I'm so pleased of this news as its the exact spec I'd order if I had a time machine (in '81 of course, assuming my '69 time machine was in for repairs).

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Never understood why anybody would order a new car without some sort of radio.
Could be a few reason - I vaguely remember my granddad saying he never listened to the radio, so he didn't see the reason why he would have to pay to have a radio in his car, and wanted the new car cheaper because they didn't have to go through the expense of making the radio and fitting it. To be fair, I've NEVER listened to the radio in my Corvette, and never will - won't hear it over the top of sidepipes anyway :)

Another reason could be back before we have all these modern integrated media centres in cars nowadays - you could have wanted a new car without a radio as you had a much better unit you wanted to fit yourself, but didn't want to pay for a new radio in the car, only to them take it out and replace with your own.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
However bad it looks (it does look pretty crap) I would stick with the original rather than make something more fancy that could detract from a talking point

Last triumph

Well-known user
However bad it looks (it does look pretty crap) I would stick with the original rather than make something more fancy that could detract from a talking point
If I can find one without paying excessive 'vette tax' for a flat piece of plastic, I will, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll make on in the mean time until one turns up at the right condition/price ratio. Which might be never looking at some of the prices being asked.

Roscobbc

Could be a few reason - I vaguely remember my granddad saying he never listened to the radio, so he didn't see the reason why he would have to pay to have a radio in his car, and wanted the new car cheaper because they didn't have to go through the expense of making the radio and fitting it. To be fair, I've NEVER listened to the radio in my Corvette, and never will - won't hear it over the top of sidepipes anyway :)

Another reason could be back before we have all these modern integrated media centres in cars nowadays - you could have wanted a new car without a radio as you had a much better unit you wanted to fit yourself, but didn't want to pay for a new radio in the car, only to them take it out and replace with your own.
With you on this one Capt' - TBH if I fitted some ICE it would have to have full on-line connectivity to enable me to select my choice of music.........FM is great quality but for me there are no stations to choose from. DAB is better but again there are minimal stations to choose from except crap national ones. Most independant stations seem to broadcast in mono. But there again to enable me to hear all this music over the top of the engine etc I'd need so much additional amplification and speakers I'd be comprimised on interior space.