My Questions

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
We had Radio Shack in the UK, it was called Tandy. Our local store was in crouch end, ( it’s now a chicken shop)
Many items were bought from there by my family and friends over the years before it shut down.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
We had Radio Shack in the UK, it was called Tandy. Our local store was in crouch end, ( it’s now a chicken shop)
Many items were bought from there by my family and friends over the years before it shut down.

Way back then RS was for us hard core electronic guys, they even sold kits to make our own radios, and other electronic gear
Yes, I remember when it changed to Tandy and the store became crappy in what they sold :)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
We all thought it was a great shop, because it had lots of American things in it. As you said kits to build your own radios. One of the only places to get such items.
Prices were very reasonable as well.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Another lost electronics of music, the cassette, remember them
A lot smaller than the 8 track that always seemed to pull the tape out

I bought these like in early 1970s, so they are older than James and time when things were made for quality
as I still play these, and they sound as they are new

View attachment 15097
An eclectic taste in music there , from Burt Bacharach to Sha Na Na !! I still have a large collection of cassette tape albums stashed away and occasionaly dig one out and play it for old times sake . Problem with cassette tapes is they streach with age and use or kink up .
I had the best of all worlds when I had my 2004 model Jaguar XKR - R Performance . It had a very high spec 10 speaker sound system that had a six CD auto changer , a built in cassette player plus AM /FM radio . Sound quality was fantastic and I could cruise to what ever I fancied from CD and cassette collections . (y)
That was some car , 400 bhp of supercharged V8 for entertainment too . :)XKR.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
For me, an original radio is a must in any classic vehicle. I just think it completes the look. An upgrade is OK to me, ie an AM to the more expensive when new AM/FM or even one with an 8 track ( remember those?) I always loved 8 tracks in cars when I was a kid. I was always surprised 8 tracks were not introduced into Corvettes until the very late 70’s, considering mustangs got them in 66.
Elton john “dont shoot me , I’m only the piano player” on eight track 😌takes me back😂👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
An eclectic taste in music there , from Burt Bacharach to Sha Na Na !! I still have a large collection of cassette tape albums stashed away and occasionaly dig one out and play it for old times sake . Problem with cassette tapes is they streach with age and use or kink up .
I had the best of all worlds when I had my 2004 model Jaguar XKR - R Performance . It had a very high spec 10 speaker sound system that had a six CD auto changer , a built in cassette player plus AM /FM radio . Sound quality was fantastic and I could cruise to what ever I fancied from CD and cassette collections . (y)
That was some car , 400 bhp of supercharged V8 for entertainment too . :)View attachment 15100
My mate bought one of those, bit of a rumble ?, …. Yes, except it was the coming from the supercharger bearings !😩💵💵

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Jaguar V12 as fitted in the early 70s was 250bhp from 5.3l

A Daytona was about 340bhp.
That’s nothing ! My old Bedford TL was 130 bhp!!😩 imagine trying to coax that sucker all the way up to ilkley moor from cornwall in the middle of winter with a 3 bed house on board !😂😂🚚

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Elton john “dont shoot me , I’m only the piano player” on eight track 😌takes me back😂👍
Seem to remember a “four”track system , ( possibly american) my dad had picked up somewhere and ran off a car battery in his workshop , early seventies, couldnt get cartridges so we were stuck with the few that came with it,
Creedence clearwater revival comes to mind🤔

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Way back then RS was for us hard core electronic guys, they even sold kits to make our own radios, and other electronic gear
Yes, I remember when it changed to Tandy and the store became crappy in what they sold :)
Built a radio once using nothing but three wires, a red one , a blue one and a green one. Connected the red and blue first , then soldered the green to both ends of the other two then cut the complete red out and discarded it , and ended up with a Wire Less !!💥💥😂😂😂
I’ll get my coat 🙄

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I remember that,
was a 1 crystal and long wire as an antenna and almost no cost to make

On the other hand, when RS finally came out with a hard drive for the TRS-80, it was only 5 meg bytes total,
the size of large bread box and cost $500 and that was early 1980s costs !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My mate bought one of those, bit of a rumble ?, …. Yes, except it was the coming from the supercharger bearings !😩💵💵
Probably didn`t change the Supercharger oil . A fiddle to syphon out the old and refill but worth it . I used aviation spec oil in mine . :D

Roscobbc

Seem to remember a “four”track system , ( possibly american) my dad had picked up somewhere and ran off a car battery in his workshop , early seventies, couldnt get cartridges so we were stuck with the few that came with it,
Creedence clearwater revival comes to mind🤔
The 4 Track I believe was based on an 8 Track structure but was Quadraphonic (so 4 track rather than 2 track of a stereo system)
Back in the day when 'er indoors had her Mustang 11 someone had fitted a Phillips RN22712 stereo radio cassette with SW/NW/LW/Stereo FM - it also had a microphone for the businessman about town to use for recording messages for his secretary - a kind of Dictaphone (me?, I prefer to use my fingers to phone or go handfree rather than use my Dictaphone!)
IMG_4517-scaled.jpeg
I used to run an electrical store back in the mid 70's and these were the very best in-car audio available on the market and seriously expensive - seem to recall about £180........today perhaps £1200+ - the performance on FM was superb but only about 2.5 watts per channel.......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Jaguar V12 as fitted in the early 70s was 250bhp from 5.3l

A Daytona was about 340bhp.
The V12 eventually put out 273 bhp of silky smooth power . I had a 3.6 litre straight six 5 speed manual XJS that I upgraded to stage one tune and nominally 250 bhp . Upgraded the suspension too and fitted wider lattice alloys . It sounded lovely especially on the over run , sounded more like a D Type on full chat . :D

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That’s nothing ! My old Bedford TL was 130 bhp!!😩 imagine trying to coax that sucker all the way up to ilkley moor from cornwall in the middle of winter with a 3 bed house on board !😂😂🚚
We had Sherpa vans at work, the little one by the time you got to the top of Lickey on the M5 was struggling to do 40mph and that was unloaded!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
We had Sherpa vans at work, the little one by the time you got to the top of Lickey on the M5 was struggling to do 40mph and that was un

We had Sherpa vans at work, the little one by the time you got to the top of Lickey on the M5 was struggling to do 40mph and that was unloaded!
One way to climb the Lickey is slow and noisy . I was on this loco in December 1999 on the 2 mile continous climb at a gradient of 1 in 37 , the steepest main line gradient in the UK . We had another loco shoving us at the rear ( known as a `Banker ` ). We breasted the summit at about 25 mph which was considered a good result !!
Sorry about image quality but best I could find on internet . The youtube video ` 45110 banked by 80079 - December 1999 shows us in all our noisy glory . The telephoto lens effect makes it look like we are coming out a hole in the ground . :LOL: maxresdefault (1).jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I used to get stress aches in my neck and shoulders ftom willing it up the hills watching the temp needle rising and then thankfully dropping back as we cleared the top 😬😂

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
One way to climb the Lickey is slow and noisy . I was on this loco in December 1999 on the 2 mile continous climb at a gradient of 1 in 37 , the steepest main line gradient in the UK . We had another loco shoving us at the rear ( known as a `Banker ` ). We breasted the summit at about 25 mph which was considered a good result !!
Sorry about image quality but best I could find on internet . The youtube video ` 45110 banked by 80079 - December 1999 shows us in all our noisy glory . The telephoto lens effect makes it look like we are coming out a hole in the ground . :LOL: View attachment 15129
Yes but I had the wrong kind of leaves on my hill!😂😂👍