I can see the attraction of big blocks in the States where the corners are few, gas is (relatively) cheap and their prodigious torque is just what's needed for the "race between the lights". For road or even tight track use here in the UK the value is less obvious. There's no doubt the stock big block's weight does compromise its handling compared to its smaller brother. Shaving off weight while tuning to increase both power and torque - as Rosco has done - is one way of mitigating the difference, but gaining more power and torque from a small block and perhaps saving weight as well might produce a car better suited to our roads.
It's easy to tune a small block to match and even exceed the power of a stock big block; what is difficult to achieve is matching the low end torque. (You're gonna lose at the lights).
If you want big block performance in a car that retains small block handling, the best answer is surely a stroker motor, typically taking a 350 to 383 cu.in. Although the increase in crank throw is only just over 1/8" this produces a significant increase in torque and when coupled with other standard tuning techniques the stroker can produce between 400 and 500 HP and between 450 and 500+ lb-ft of torque - easily matching a stock bbc.
Of course, as always, performance comes at a price, but as a way of optimising the performance of a stock sbc 'Vette for British roads the stroker route has a lot going for it.
Personally though I have to say I'm pretty content with the drive from my stock base '71 sbc. At 84 I'm well aware that my reflexes and peripheral vision are certainly not what they were in my 20's. There's enough shove in the back from 360 lb-ft of torque and enough speed from 270 HP to ruffle my hair (what's left of it

) in the wind, so I'm happy and not too likely to end up as a road accident statistic.

(If I want to do that, a loud pedal outing in my 410 HP Mustang is much more likely)
