Other American vehicles owned

antijam

CCCUK Member
Just as an aside, in the June Classic and Sports Car mag there's a face off between the Chevelle SS, Pontiac GTO, Plymouth Road Runner, Dodge Charger and Ford Torino.
They plump for the GTO.

Roscobbc

Just as an aside, in the June Classic and Sports Car mag there's a face off between the Chevelle SS, Pontiac GTO, Plymouth Road Runner, Dodge Charger and Ford Torino.
They plump for the GTO.
I wonder if its a true like for like test? - I mean same year, all auto's or manuals, similar engine spec'. All too often they unfairly match vehicles. An early GTO for example is an entirely different driving car as a manual.....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I was an avid watcher of the Rockford Files TV series in the `70`s just because of his Pontiac Trans Am . Such a cool muscle car . (y)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
No Trans Am for Jim Rockford, it was a Firebird Esprit. The producers of the show wanted a not too flashy car that someone always on his uppers could afford. The cars used were actually formula 400 models without rear spoiler, esprit hoods and badges were fitted to give the appearance of a esprit.The formula was better suited for the car chases.
A new model was used each year, same colour. When the new for 1979 car was due to be used James Garner didn’t want it as he hated the new front, so old 78 fronts were put on new 79 cars for the series.0129B757-7145-4CD6-8BA2-6D6D7285A4B1.jpeg

Ste veT

CCCUK Member
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot great muscle car movie , with Clint Eastwood and Jeff bridges and a White trans am

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
1970 Pontiac Trans-am 400 cu in owned in 1977. Lovely car, used loads of fuel and too expensive for a young lad to run!
You had the now very sort after bull nose front end. A true classic nowadays.
Yes, those old T/A 400ci were very thirsty beasts.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I remember when the new for 1974 front came out, suddenly the old 73 front looked old hat. Now the 70-73 front is the one to have. People are fitting the bull nose front to later cars for the look.
Do you remember the film McQ, starring John Wayne. Drove a 1973 T/A in dark green, nicknamed the Green Hornet. It came to a horrible end.
0619A58F-A17E-445B-ADB3-D1D17874D6BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It’s an old film 1973 or 74 I think, so the T/A would have been pretty new. It does look nice, finished in Brewster Green. He has it on finance because he moans about the car repayments.
He made this action/violent film after the success of Clint Eastwood’s Dirty Harry, for which he was first choice to play Harry Callahan. He turned it down due to the amount of violence. He regretted it due to its success.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Here's are the ones I have owned.
First a 1968 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible with the 440 (7.2l) V8 which I had for about 6 years in the '9os. Lovely car to drive although it required quite a lot of room - it was just over 19 feet long and although it wasn't quite as long as my house was deep, it wasn't far off. The engine was silky smooth and very powerful and could surprise a hot hatch with it's (straight line!) pace. Stopping on drums was better than you might expect but not for long. The tyres on it were a narrower width than my wife has now on her Skoda Yeti - it's a wonder it went round corners at all.
Dodge Polara Open-Small.jpgDodge Polara Roof Up-small.jpg

Then came the '70 Satellite with a 308 V8. Not a brilliant picture but it's the only one I can find at the moment

Satellite-side.JPG

And then my Mustang which I sold a few months ago.

Mustang-small.JPG

All very different but all excellent in their own ways. You couldn't drive any of them without coming home with a smile.