Rattly shifter.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
🤣🤣🤣nice one chuffs ! I tend to agree and know we have been on borrowed time for the last few years , thanks for your good humored help and suggestions , now , if you can just locate my shifter rattle things will be sweet. 🤣👍
That`s an easy one to solve , it`s probably some loose change in the glove box ! :ROFLMAO:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks corvette, is this from under the car or with console removed ? 👍
I temoved shifter gaiters today, i cant see any loose bolts but i did found some side to side play in the dhifter mechanism. There is a large nut and bolt going through the shifter body anf a few levers that may be the source of the rattle. It is shimmed already, whether it was shimmed to stop a rattle ot as part of the adjustment and set up of the shifter im not sure. Going to make another shim to take up the movement. Any thoughts 🤔👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The “shims” are part of the mechanism. They have specific functions. If there’s play. I reckon you’re missing a spring or one of the “shims”

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The “shims” are part of the mechanism. They have specific functions. If there’s play. I reckon you’re missing a spring or one of the “shims”

Thanks oneball, will watch that again this eve, mine looks to have a seperate shim, extra to the shim plates that are standard, maybe shifter was worn and shimmed, will have a look to see if i can add one without stripping shifter as that looks a bit scary👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
In the video there is a thin springy spacer that stops the others from rattling, maybe its that one that i thought was an extra one. I can get some movement there thst i think would rattle , whether i can slide a bit more shim in there , i will look again . Thanks oneball.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Linkage arms (to gearbox output shafts) are usually 'case' hardened mild steel - not unknown for them to become sloppy and loose......
Hi , had another look underneath, gbox mount looks all good, i sleeved one of the shift rods with dome rubber fuel pipe where it was close enough to rattle against another one. I think the big rattle and shifter shake is where the threaded en you d of the smallest shift rod , it goes through a cylindrical adjuster barrel. This is loose and can rattle, this may be dumb, but could I screw a nut onto the threaded end of the shift rod as a lock nut, this may stop the rattling or would this interfere with the shift rod ? Tia. 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Is the adjuster loose on the threaded rod or the hole it’s in? They do fit into a bush. Both steel and nylon ones are available.