Rattly shifter.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I thought it was always meant to be warm in Cornwall with all that Gulf Stream stuff :LOL: As for the boiler , does it come on when you override the timer and have it in permanently ON position ? If it does fire up it is most likely the timer as you say . If it doesn`t it will be be an ignition fault . Good luck and wrap up warm 🥶
It is one of those frustrating ones, at the moment it seems to run perfectly for 4/5 hours then the control box trips out. Sometimes it will reset and fire up again for a few hours. If we go to bed with it on timer it wont come on in the morning. I can usually get it to go and it runs perfectly for a few hours, it has had a coil and a control box , i think it s worth swapping the program / timer panel to eliminate that part. Its an oil worcester danesmoor 15/19 combi. 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Do you have sufficient pressure in boiler as it
Yes, plus the engineer has been back for the third time and hasnt got any ideas really except a new one which we will do but rather do it after this cold spell so hoping to limp through. Want to find a supply only big oil fired combi. , worcester heatslave 25/32 or bigger , ( just in case anyone on here is a boiler salesman )🤣👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes, plus the engineer has been back for the third time and hasnt got any ideas really except a new one which we will do but rather do it after this cold spell so hoping to limp through. Want to find a supply only big oil fired combi. , worcester heatslave 25/32 or bigger , ( just in case anyone on here is a boiler salesman )🤣👍
Is it a condensing boiler ? If so check that the condensate drain pipe is not blocked or frozen up if it is that cold down there in the sunny south west .
Sorry but can`t help on the sales front . I am out of the loop with buildings HVAC and electrical services since becoming a gentleman of leisure .

johng

CCCUK Member
If you do have to replace the boiler you might want to think about an air sourced heat pump. We have one and it costs about the same to run as the gas boiler in our old house, also the government will pay you a monthly fee for installing it for the next 7 years. In our case we more than get back the cost of installing it.

Roscobbc

If you do have to replace the boiler you might want to think about an air sourced heat pump. We have one and it costs about the same to run as the gas boiler in our old house, also the government will pay you a monthly fee for installing it for the next 7 years. In our case we more than get back the cost of installing it.
I'd like to know more about the economics of installing one of those and the subsequent running costs John.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Is it a condensing boiler ? If so check that the condensate drain pipe is not blocked or frozen up if it is that cold down there in the sunny south west .
Sorry but can`t help on the sales front . I am out of the loop with buildings HVAC and electrical services since becoming a gentleman of leisure .
Combi 👍
I'd like to know more about the economics of installing one of those and the subsequent running costs John.
Think our house too draughty for one of those .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Mad4 - Being a combi boiler doesn`t necessarily make it a condensing boiler if its an older model . All domestic boilers have to be condensing boilers now by law .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Mad4 - Being a combi boiler doesn`t necessarily make it a condensing boiler if its an older model . All domestic boilers have to be condensing boilers now by law .
Yes, ours is an old danesmoor combi not condensing I am pretty sure. The new worcesterrs we are looking at are described as combi with no mention of condensing but as you say All new combi’s may be condensing type nowadays?. Fired up this morning after tripping out 3 times, running perfect now and prob will for 3/5 hours then may trip out will need reset button on controller pressed and then may be ok for another few hours ?? Boiler eng is going to lend us a spare burner next week to see if that will get us through while we source a new one. 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A new boiler will be a condenser type . If it keeps locking out every 3 to 5 hours that rather suggests an overheating problem that allows you to reset the lockout button after a cooling down period . Could be faulty internal thermostat or as the boiler is old it could be a scaled up heat exchanger causing over heating . Do you live in a hard water area ? If so scaling up can cause a lot of problems . When you have a new boiler installed fit a water softener on the cold feed inlet or add Fernox water softener to refill water on completion .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Combi 👍

Think our house too draughty for one of those .
Cant quite get my head round the heat pumps, seems they sell the fact they are harnessing all this free heat in the ground and using it to heat the home. When from what I can see it is the act of compressing it that created the heat. We had the hot rocks program in cornwall where they had to dig over a mile and a half to recover any serious heat. Graves are pretty cold at 6feet deep. So in a cold and dragty old house you will need to burn a lot of electric to compress enough air or water to provide enough heat. My daughters new modern insulated home has one and it is very good , but mainly due to modern standards of insulation . Maybe time to downsize , ... with a nice heated integral garage for the 72🤣👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ground source heat pumps and other fancy eco warrior Greenie gizmo`s will only work effectively in a highly insulated totally air tight new build designed to maximise the potential . Where the theory comes unstuck is when all these eco warriors construct their partially or totally submerged `earth homes ` from more re - enforced mass concrete than a nuclear bunker . Thus the carbon footprint goes through the roof .:mad:
Get a coal fired boiler instead , all that shovelled will help keep you warm and cut down on energy bills .:ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

From what I understand a heat pump (air sourced which seems to be the only type suitable in resisdential/congested areas) works best in 'temperate' climates and 'extreme' fluctuations in temperature neccesitate some form of 'back-up' conventional heating. Heat pumps (as I understand) work best with low temperature systems wet underfloor systems rather than radiators. If you own a property with a an acre or two of garden perhaps a ground source system is the way to go? - logic (to me anyway) is the people who can actually afford the installation cost are the very ones who are weathly enough not to need it in real terms........I stand to be educated however :whistle:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ground source heat pumps and other fancy eco warrior Greenie gizmo`s will only work effectively in a highly insulated totally air tight new build designed to maximise the potential . Where the theory comes unstuck is when all these eco warriors construct their partially or totally submerged `earth homes ` from more re - enforced mass concrete than a nuclear bunker . Thus the carbon footprint goes through the roof .:mad:
Get a coal fired boiler instead , all that shovelled will help keep you warm and cut down on energy bills .:ROFLMAO:
A new boiler will be a condenser type . If it keeps locking out every 3 to 5 hours that rather suggests an overheating problem that allows you to reset the lockout button after a cooling down period . Could be faulty internal thermostat or as the boiler is old it could be a scaled up heat exchanger causing over heating . Do you live in a hard water area ? If so scaling up can cause a lot of problems . When you have a new boiler installed fit a water softener on the cold feed inlet or add Fernox water softener to refill water on completion .
no hard water down here , zero scale in kettles etc . It also wont start in the morning when cold so not sure its only when hot, thats why its foxed our boiler guy too. Wondering wether to change the programmer as it seems more a control issue but dont know if that could cause a trip out. After about three failed start / trip out attempts it seems to fire up either hot or cold , will nurse it through the cold snap then going for the biggest baddest oil boiler i can find 👍💥💥

Roscobbc

Perhaps buy one while you still can - you know that HMG 'moved' the final date you could source one of these a few years - the original targets were unworkable.
Silly question perhaps but is the internal water pressure OK?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Perhaps buy one while you still can - you know that HMG 'moved' the final date you could source one of these a few years - the original targets were unworkable.
Silly question perhaps but is the internal water pressure OK?
Yes they are set to go the same way as petrol and diesel cars. Yes, fill loop normal 1 bar ish , it had a new EV at the start of this saga followed by a control boc and a coil , could the timer/ programmer panel cause the trip out, boiler guy says no but sometimes feels related to that , ... possibly🤔👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes they are set to go the same way as petrol and diesel cars. Yes, fill loop normal 1 bar ish , it had a new EV at the start of this saga followed by a control boc and a coil , could the timer/ programmer panel cause the trip out, boiler guy says no but sometimes feels related to that , ... possibly🤔👍
I tend to agree with your guy , unlikely that the timer / programmer would cause `lock out` . I have contemplated , cogitated , pondered and reflected and come to the conclusion that it`s F**ked !! :unsure::LOL:

PS . You are lucky being in a soft water area , ours is so hard that if you spill some it cracks the floor tiles !!!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I tend to agree with your guy , unlikely that the timer / programmer would cause `lock out` . I have contemplated , cogitated , pondered and reflected and come to the conclusion that it`s F**ked !! :unsure::LOL:

PS . You are lucky being in a soft water area , ours is so hard that if you spill some it cracks the floor tiles !!!
🤣🤣🤣nice one chuffs ! I tend to agree and know we have been on borrowed time for the last few years , thanks for your good humored help and suggestions , now , if you can just locate my shifter rattle things will be sweet. 🤣👍