Rattly shifter.

Corvette

Well-known user
Best to get underneath with a 1/2” and 9/16” , check,wobble and pull each of the three linkage rods as well. Good luck.

Roscobbc

Linkage arms (to gearbox output shafts) are usually 'case' hardened mild steel - not unknown for them to become sloppy and loose......

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Best to get underneath with a 1/2” and 9/16” , check,wobble and pull each of the three linkage rods as well. Good luck.
Thanks corvette, I emailed the p o lat eve and he said the two bolts that hold shifter handle to the shifter were loose when he got the car and came loose again two summers ago. Hopefully just that again. Thanks all for the help guys 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks corvette, I emailed the p o lat eve and he said the two bolts that hold shifter handle to the shifter were loose when he got the car and came loose again two summers ago. Hopefully just that again. Thanks all for the help guys 👍
Any idea what the thread type is on the vettes unc/unf /metric? As wonder if it would be worth swapping these nuts for some nylocks 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Usually the 'rattling' or 'buzz' can be silenced or 'damped'by resting you hand on the shifter. You'll still feel the vibration but resting your hand should minimise it.
I have this problem with mine. Hurst shifter again and it vibrates "slightly". A slight touch and it goes (but I feel the vibration). It doesn't bother me that much.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Owww... where are those located? My Hurst rattles a little too.

Roscobbc

Stock shifter 'theoretically' shouldn't really have issues from vibration etc as its mounted to the car rather than the gearbox (as per Hurst shifters) - shift 'quality' with a Hurst shifter is much better being directly mounted on the gearbox.........downside is the potential transmission of vibration and noise. Not an issue in any way with mine - yes the engine does vibrate when idling (lumpy cam) but Hurst shifter doesn't transmit any of it. One thing with a stock floor pan mounted shifter - make sure your engine mounts are in good condition - they can deteriorate over time and come apart - they have a 'safety' interlock which prevents the engine lifting too far. Clues will be clutch judder pulling away - coupled with poor shifting quality.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Stock shifter 'theoretically' shouldn't really have issues from vibration etc as its mounted to the car rather than the gearbox (as per Hurst shifters) - shift 'quality' with a Hurst shifter is much better being directly mounted on the gearbox.........downside is the potential transmission of vibration and noise. Not an issue in any way with mine - yes the engine does vibrate when idling (lumpy cam) but Hurst shifter doesn't transmit any of it. One thing with a stock floor pan mounted shifter - make sure your engine mounts are in good condition - they can deteriorate over time and come apart - they have a 'safety' interlock which prevents the engine lifting too far. Clues will be clutch judder pulling away - coupled with poor shifting quality.
Thanks rosscobc, was under the car today can make a couple of the shift rods rattle togrther, font know if that is the main one i am hearing. Will have to remove y console to look st the bolts that connect the lever to the shifter, I dont think they look loose. Found a loose clip on rad hose so hopefully that will cure one of the drips on the floor

Oneball

CCCUK Member

Might be worth a check that the rods are the right way round. From memory there a fair bit of clearance between them on my Hurst

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
View attachment 9314

Might be worth a check that the rods are the right way round. From memory there a fair bit of clearance between them on my Hurst
Good photo 1B, thank you , I can take it under the car and compare to mine do you mean the wrong rods may be fitted or the right rods may be fitted with the ronf one behind the other. I can also get a little in and out movement on the shift levers where they exit the side of the box ( the two in yr pic that the shift rods connect to,) there is also a weep of mtf from these shafts.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Correct rods but they can quite easily go in the wrong way round. This might be a clearer view of the rods and their orientation

32AA2CDD-3FC3-4462-BDB4-F6AAAC46C54F.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Have you taken the top off the centre console and a look to see if anything is loose around the selector first ? I have a B&M Mega Shifter on mine so yours will be a bit different so cannot speak from personal experience on the standard set up . Good luck and hope it`s nothing serious .
Glad you got out for a spin though , lucky dog ! :D
hi , can i just remove the panel around the shiftet without removing the full length of the console around the handbrake etc too?

Corvette

Well-known user
hi , can i just remove the panel around the shiftet without removing the full length of the console around the handbrake etc too?
Yes, just remove the black self tappers. The black chrome metal surround will lift up. Underneath you should have a rubber boot to remove then you can see the shifter and gearbox.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes, just remove the black self tappers. The black chrome metal surround will lift up. Underneath you should have a rubber boot to remove then you can see the shifter and gearbox.
Thanks corvette, may sit in the car and have a play later. Bleak in cornwall today with icy n east wind , topped off by an intermittant fault on our boiler so its working now but wont come on in morning til I nurse it to run, think its timer related😩

Corvette

Well-known user
Too cold here as well. I’ve been ready since 9am to get in the garage just need someone to run about and get the heater on for me And the wife to stop making me tea and cake.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Too cold here as well. I’ve been ready since 9am to get in the garage just need someone to run about and get the heater on for me And the wife to stop making me tea and cake.
Hard to get moving when its zero degrees. Going back to the shifter surround panel , does it just lift off the heater control wheels or do they have to be disconnected? Thanks for advice 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks corvette, may sit in the car and have a play later. Bleak in cornwall today with icy n east wind , topped off by an intermittant fault on our boiler so its working now but wont come on in morning til I nurse it to run, think its timer related😩
I thought it was always meant to be warm in Cornwall with all that Gulf Stream stuff :LOL: As for the boiler , does it come on when you override the timer and have it in permanently ON position ? If it does fire up it is most likely the timer as you say . If it doesn`t it will be be an ignition fault . Good luck and wrap up warm 🥶

Corvette

Well-known user
I would leave the heater controls alone as that can be a pain, just move shifter surround 90degreees out of the way. Be brave and crawl underneath on cardboard its quicker.