Steering “just”!

luckyrat

Busy user
Hi all,
I only managed to drive my “dream” 3 times since I bought it in October. I’ve spent the last few months in the Falklands protecting the penguins from invasion!
Just completed 10 days of isolation now I’m home, and want to sort the main problem with my 72. (I’m aware we are still in lockdown.)
It’s extremely dangerous to drive, 4 plus inches of dead zone each side of the 12 o’clock . I’ve checked the rag joint, seems ok, but (bought a new one.) Play seems to be after that, ie going into the steering gear box. I adjusted the lash to max, no effect! (I’ve bought a new one).
Bought a new pitman arm and a new control valve.
Any other ideas to fix please, although I don’t have the tools to fit what I have. Anyone know of a North East garage that can help, and am I allowed to take it to a garage during this lockdown?
Best regards from a very frustrated new old, old! C3 owner!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi all,
I only managed to drive my “dream” 3 times since I bought it in October. I’ve spent the last few months in the Falklands protecting the penguins from invasion!
Just completed 10 days of isolation now I’m home, and want to sort the main problem with my 72. (I’m aware we are still in lockdown.)
It’s extremely dangerous to drive, 4 plus inches of dead zone each side of the 12 o’clock . I’ve checked the rag joint, seems ok, but (bought a new one.) Play seems to be after that, ie going into the steering gear box. I adjusted the lash to max, no effect! (I’ve bought a new one).
Bought a new pitman arm and a new control valve.
Any other ideas to fix please, although I don’t have the tools to fit what I have. Anyone know of a North East garage that can help, and am I allowed to take it to a garage during this lockdown?
Best regards from a very frustrated new old, old! C3 owner!
Where in the North East are you?
Yes you can take a car to a Garage to get it fixed, presumably it's going on a trailer anyway, so I do not see it as an issue

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
AAS (Advanced Automotive Systems) are the guys to go to. Operated by two brothers who regularly work on Corvettes in our region, they also race a C4. Sound service without a rip off.
Address: 19 Mercia Way, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 6UG
Phone: 0191 267 3718

luckyrat

Busy user
Where in the North East are you?
Yes you can take a car to a Garage to get it fixed, presumably it's going on a trailer anyway, so I do not see it as an issue
Hi, thanks for replying.
I’m in Hartlepool. I was hoping to avoid the costs of trailers. It cost me £600 to get it here after buying it sight un seen from 28th State Cars for £14,000 in October. Spent £3000 on it since and still only driven less than 10 miles. Not the dream I had!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi, thanks for replying.
I’m in Hartlepool. I was hoping to avoid the costs of trailers. It cost me £600 to get it here after buying it sight un seen from 28th State Cars for £14,000 in October. Spent £3000 on it since and still only driven less than 10 miles. Not the dream I had!
Sorry to hear about your woes . Maybe you are not such a lucky rodent after all , but quite a few us have got stung like you unfortunately 😢 Sounds like you have checked all the easy to go to things I would have suggested first . And well done to you and all your comrades for protecting the last bastion of our once great empire ( and the penguins ) from Johnny Foreigner 🦸‍♂️ (y)

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I have been charged for new a idler arm on a couple of occasions during my long ownership. Could this be the cause?

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I mention the idler in case other owners have had the same experience of replacement. The biggest vagueness I experienced was due to a rag joint that had worn out the rag bit and relied on the metal override to transfer the torque. This had become very worn in the process.

luckyrat

Busy user
Thanks all,
I really do appreciate the responses.
Being 64 in a few weeks I think I’ve may have left my dream a little bit late!
I will sleep on it overnight, but don’t be surprised if somewhere between here an eBay is a 72 Corvette Stingray for sale in a few days. One thing for sure is, I’m totally honest and nothing about it’s condition that I’m aware about will be held back!
Cheers
Phil

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Another thing to check is the pressed steel brackets welded on to the trailing edge of front cross member . They are the locating points for the leading ends of the lower control arms . The welds are a week point and known to fail as I and others know only too well . That would contribute to steering vagueness . Trawl through the `Gutted` posts on the C3 Forum regarding chassis stress cracks. I posted a photo of what it looks like . You can see them from above in the engine bay but the drivers side one is partially hidden by the power steering pump . Don`t give up on the dream just yet ! I was going on 65 when I bought my dream / nightmare :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Was the car sold to you as in need of work?

The dangers of buying unseen I`m afraid . Luckyrat - how long have you owned the car ? If not long I would go back to 28th State Cars and tell them they have sold you a car not fit for purpose and ask what they propose to do about it . Exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods and Services Act if they will not play ball . You might find you have the law on your side . I had all this with the dealer I bought my C3 from due to a defective auto trans . It nearly ended in court before he brassed up and was damned lucky he is not floating face down in a canal somewhere :mad: Don`t get mad , get even !

luckyrat

Busy user
Was the car sold to you as in need of work?
This may explain it better if you see attached ?
My invoice explained because of its age I had no warranty. Feeling I was dealing with a long term Corvette dealer, and the fact, although not required by law it had an MOT, I believed it was at least safe to drive, and I could improve it as I drove it. I’ve felt less scared in some of the places I served in the military!
DBE43FEC-193E-4BB8-8113-CE52AE4434EC.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The age of vehicle and lack of warranty does not preclude your statutory rights under law. I cannot make sense of the hand written comment about MOT stating "should be alright now" ! Did the dealer write that ? On the other hand , at the time of sale you were told it had an MOT yet clearly the car had excessive play in the steering .Are all the other issues resolved ? Did you get a copy of the supposed valid MOT ? Looks to me like a dealer shipping cars in and shipping them out PDQ for a fast buck . There are no shortage of them about unfortunately . Long term Corvette dealer doesn`t amount to a hill of beans !

Roscobbc

Much of the comment on the MOT failure certificate seem fairly standard stuff for what is an old car. Look at any 'advisories' even on a late model car and it'll note corrosion to brake lines and covered with grease or oil. Handbrake (or more accurately 'parking brake') on C3's is crap, even when adjusted correctly its CRAP. Think along the lines of a front brake assembly borrowed off a 1960's moped and you'll be close. Any MOT station experienced with Vette will know this and take it in to account. If the car has an auto transmission it'll be even worse as the septic's only ever stick the car in 'park'. Weepage on power steering hoses and components is typical and nothing really to be over concerned about unless you don't like oily patches on your garage floor. Steering play - perhaps (and following on from the other thread about cross members welds cracking.......check it out) also check-out the long bolts securing steering box to frame - they can work loose (mine have in the past) + you really need to get a buddy to sit in the drivers seat whilst you get under the car and observe what is happening......As Chuffer points out you have statutory rights with any seller protentially misrepresenting an item for sale - whether intentionally or accidentally they do have an obligation to the buyer.
I am sure that if you 'approach' the trader who sold you the vehicle and explained your concerns and how you feel that the car was not as described he/she will want to amicably respond and uphold their reputation in the UK Corvette 'world'

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Luckyrat, all the above issues are common to that age of Vette, especially if it's been sitting around and not been used for a while. most of us have been there and felt your pain brother, it's hard to splash out further expenditure when you thought you had bought a good one, but 14K is on the low side for a chrome bumper and alarm bells should have been ringing, a viewing would have been advisable. But if that's all that's wrong with it along with the steering issues, ( which you have new parts for ) then you are probably not far off having a reasonably nice Corvette.
If you cannot travel as far as Newcastle to AAS then there is I believe a garage in Middlesbrough called DS hot rods, perhaps they could assist you ?
Good luck.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I agree with Ross’s overview (edit - and Stealthy typing at same time!)....all stuff you’ll see on a lot of C3s if you look underneath and the owners not aware of or not worried about. The advert does clearly state the car does need work.
According to advert new brakes fitted so that’s good. Being positive and hoping it’s not a cracked frame as per other thread (still pretty unusual) I’m sure the steering can be sorted quite easily.

Dealer warranties if insurance backed would cover an engine blow up a month after sale for instance. They wouldn’t cover an issue that was already present on the car when it was sold - that would be down to the dealer. It’s tricky seeing as they’ve sold it as “needing some work“. Having said that, it’s certainly questionable how it passed an mot if the steering is deemed to have excessive play.....but is there an actual definition of “excessive”.

luckyrat

Busy user
The age of vehicle and lack of warranty does not preclude your statutory rights under law. I cannot make sense of the hand written comment about MOT stating "should be alright now" ! Did the dealer write that ? On the other hand , at the time of sale you were told it had an MOT yet clearly the car had excessive play in the steering .Are all the other issues resolved ? Did you get a copy of the supposed valid MOT ? Looks to me like a dealer shipping cars in and shipping them out PDQ for a fast buck . There are no shortage of them about unfortunately . Long term Corvette dealer doesn`t amount to a hill of beans !
Everything written in green was me, just trying to make sense of what I’ve bought! I was under no illusions that a 72 Corvette at the price I paid would need work. I just expected to be able to enjoy driving it as I improved it.

luckyrat

Busy user
I agree with Ross’s overview (edit - and Stealthy typing at same time!)....all stuff you’ll see on a lot of C3s if you look underneath and the owners not aware of or not worried about. The advert does clearly state the car does need work.
According to advert new brakes fitted so that’s good. Being positive and hoping it’s not a cracked frame as per other thread (still pretty unusual) I’m sure the steering can be sorted quite easily.

Dealer warranties if insurance backed would cover an engine blow up a month after sale for instance. They wouldn’t cover an issue that was already present on the car when it was sold - that would be down to the dealer. It’s tricky seeing as they’ve sold it as “needing some work“. Having said that, it’s certainly questionable how it passed an mot if the steering is deemed to have excessive play.....but is there an actual definition of “excessive”.
It’s always been what I wanted, so I appreciate everyone’s comments and I’m sure I can get it sorted.
Unless this is a problem ?
28CE2F58-86D0-42F2-A2F9-93F500764112.jpeg