Steering “just”!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hang in there Luckyrat - yes Lucky indeed the engine, gearbox and diff could have blown, but they haven't so how lucky are you - sight unseen - ok a few issues, but you obviously no doubt have a taste for hard cheese
Ok don't panic and do anything rash - You have started on your dream and it is a Stingray for 14K - not bad, but with some issues - all can be fixed

First you need to take stock of the issues you have (as Chuffer posted) main items to check are the integrity of the Chassis, Birdcage structure including the Windscreen frame, and then list the other issues you know of, or can find (obviously you can not drive it at the moment) - then you will know better what you have to deal with and cost etc

A pity no one local to help you, but there is all the virtual help you need here

You then (as posted above) should explain the full situation to your local trading Standards, or better still local TS office where the Trader is based
You are then armed with a little better information to go back to the Trader and ask them to consider the position you are in and see if you can get some recompense for the issues at hand - Key word here may be "Safety" depends on what was said contractually

If the Trader has been at fault and not willing to help, you then have Legal recourse if you so desire, one thing to consider is if you used a credit card or finance for any of the purchase price - you then have further rights against those involved - not good for a Trader to mess up those gateways.

If any agreement you have made negates any rights of compensation - no worries - you are on your way to a nice piece of Vintage Cheddar in your Stingray

Best of Luck!

antijam

CCCUK Member
Sadly an all to common experience when buying old cars
Get that car up in the air and check everything thoroughly for structural corrosion and other cracks whilst dealing with steering and fuel leak before driving anywhere . Unfortunately lock down is not a good time for all this as you really need someone local who knows about C3`s to give it a check over . Have you had the internal kick panels in the footwells off yet to check for corrosion in the base of the bird cage ? ( a well known problem area ) .

By the sound of it this car does need a properly qualified inspection by someone who knows what to look for. If you're going to keep the car it is likely to incur significant cost just to get it safely roadworthy and it would be sensible to prioritise the work to see if the cost is justifiable. Replacing the radio antenna for example is sensible only if any major work to steering, brakes, chassis et al to render the car driveable or, if you decide you don't ultimately want it, sellable.

I've just watched the Fantom Works programme where they bring a 1970 'Vette "back to life" after it had been in storage for many years. The owner said the car was still in good condition and just really only needed maintenance and paintwork polishing to get it back on the road. It took 798 hours of labour and $25000 of parts. At minimum this probably totalled around £70,000. I guess the owner justified this since he'd had the car long enough to amortise the purchase cost; nevertheless £70K is a very expensive C3!

luckyrat

Busy user
Sadly an all to common experience when buying old cars

By the sound of it this car does need a properly qualified inspection by someone who knows what to look for. If you're going to keep the car it is likely to incur significant cost just to get it safely roadworthy and it would be sensible to prioritise the work to see if the cost is justifiable. Replacing the radio antenna for example is sensible only if any major work to steering, brakes, chassis et al to render the car driveable or, if you decide you don't ultimately want it, sellable.

I've just watched the Fantom Works programme where they bring a 1970 'Vette "back to life" after it had been in storage for many years. The owner said the car was still in good condition and just really only needed maintenance and paintwork polishing to get it back on the road. It took 798 hours of labour and $25000 of parts. At minimum this probably totalled around £70,000. I guess the owner justified this since he'd had the car long enough to amortise the purchase cost; nevertheless £70K is a very expensive C3!
I appreciate trying to fix the antenna on a car that needs more urgent work, is like a drowning man asking for a glass of water 😹
However it seamed an easy fix during lockdown to get me liking the car again..... typically not an easy fix and has cost me more money 💰
I never bought the car to turn into a show winner, just something to enjoy and “tinker “ with as I go into retirement next year. That said, if someone turned up with a trailer and £12,000 this week they can have it!

luckyrat

Busy user
Oh dear not so Luckyrat , looks like the dealer will be the one laughing all the way to bank then . 😒
“Luckyrat” comes from a statement from the groundcrew referring to the holes in my helicopter after an other day in the office when I was a military pilot. So maybe my luck has been used up?
I will just soldier on...... pun intended 😹

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
“Luckyrat” comes from a statement from the groundcrew referring to the holes in my helicopter after an other day in the office when I was a military pilot. So maybe my luck has been used up?
I will just soldier on...... pun intended 😹
You are obviously made of much sterner stuff , so stiff upper lip and " keep buggering on " as Churchill used to say ✌

antijam

CCCUK Member
I discovered a long time ago that 'needs some work and TLC' is dealer-speak for 'needs a complete rebuild'. :(
Sorry you've had such a negative experience luckyrat - but a chrome bumper C3 at £13.45k from a dealer would certainly have suggested an inspection was wise before purchase. You're not the first to be stung and you won't be the last. Commiserations.

Emc

Supporting vendor
This is the kind of car I always warn people of, I actually went to see this car in Bolton, it was offered to me by the owner at a lot less than it was on Ebay for, having spent less than 20 minutes looking over I knew it was not for me at any price , even when the price kept going down. I would be happy to do an inspection to determine if it is worth going further before spending further unnecessary money, or help luckyrat any way I can.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
So many sage words from so many Club / Forum members . I only hope that all prospective purchasers of old Corvettes and newer ones too for that matter take heed of it all . It will save them so much grief and expense .

Nosheruk

Well-known user
I would deffinately take the help offered by Gavin from EMC to inspect the car before you spend more money on it.
He will give you an honest opinion.

Norman

Reactions: Emc