Steering “just”!

Corvette

Well-known user
This is the cars fail report in 2016 when it was imported, again all usual stuff for a 72, funny thing is it’s almost a carbon copy of the fail sheet you have some three years on and only a 1000 miles driven.
Mileage66,611 miles
MOT test number2247 5346 5226
Test location

View test location
Reason(s) for failure
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
  • Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
  • Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
  • Horn not working (1.6.2a)
  • Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
  • Stop lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp both (1.2.1f)
  • Offside Seat belt retracting mechanism defective (5.2.5b)
  • Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)
  • Nearside Front Lower Front suspension ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Lower Front suspension ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • o/s/f bearing has slight noise but not excessively rough

Corvette

Well-known user
That looks like a crack with filler on it? Is the wet hose an auto cooler hose? Regarding the steering I think you need to move the steering wheel whilst somehow watching what moves and what doesn’t. These old cars need the owners to work on them rather than paying out for regular repairs unless you have a money pot. I wouldn’t go selling your dream car for the list of faults your car has. Keep the faith.

luckyrat

Busy user
That looks like a crack with filler on it? Is the wet hose an auto cooler hose? Regarding the steering I think you need to move the steering wheel whilst somehow watching what moves and what doesn’t. These old cars need the owners to work on them rather than paying out for regular repairs unless you have a money pot. I wouldn’t go selling your dream car for the list of faults your car has. Keep the faith.
I thought it looks like a crack !! and the hose is a leaking “return?” Fuel line, I have bought replacements.
Bizarrely it’s only lockdown rules that prevented me putting the car on eBay this morning!

luckyrat

Busy user
This is the cars fail report in 2016 when it was imported, again all usual stuff for a 72, funny thing is it’s almost a carbon copy of the fail sheet you have some three years on and only a 1000 miles driven.
Mileage66,611 miles
MOT test number2247 5346 5226
Test location

View test location
Reason(s) for failure
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
  • Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
  • Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
  • Horn not working (1.6.2a)
  • Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
  • Stop lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp both (1.2.1f)
  • Offside Seat belt retracting mechanism defective (5.2.5b)
  • Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)
  • Nearside Front Lower Front suspension ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Lower Front suspension ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • o/s/f bearing has slight noise but not excessively rough
Thanks, it’s things like that, I find amazing how it passed an mot last year?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I agree with all that Roscob and the other guys said , but at the end of the day Luckyrat states the car had a valid MOT . Do you have that MOT Luckyrat ? The failure one is dated 11th July 2019 at 67,611 miles . Odd that advert states 123,456 miles , what happened to the intervening 56,345 miles ? Has it been clocked ?
Despite saying in the advert that it needs work , it also states it is solid and drives well . 4 + inches free play in steering is not "drivable" in my book ! No wonder it was described as " cheapest on internet " ! The care has obviously been kicking about in the UK for a while and not just been shipped in .
Granted we should all expect work on a near 50 year old car but it comes down to how it was described at point of sale . You have greater statutory rights buying from a dealer than a private vendor . Speak to Consumer Protection UK and they will advise you and will issue you with a case reference number if they believe you have a valid complaint . That way the can track progress with the dealer and cross check records to see if he has had other complaints lodged against him . It`s the only chance of trying to clamp down on sharp practices . Telling the dealer you have done this and quoting the reference number will show him you have serious intent .
Hind sights a wonderful thing ( I have a degree in Retrospective Wisdom :LOL: ) but it`s a pity you didn`t make the trip over the Pennines from Hartlepool to Lancashire to look at the car and test drive it . Caveat Emptor raises it`s ugly head once again !

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It’s always been what I wanted, so I appreciate everyone’s comments and I’m sure I can get it sorted.
Unless this is a problem ?
View attachment 9160
Thats not a fuel line in that location (they're much further rear-ward) Looks like oil, transmission cooling lines as has been suggested?
The white line just looks like radiator water residue to me, not a crack. Radiator is directly above this point and looks like some water has been dribbling down at some time, then left a white/crusty mark. If it was a crack it wouldn’t have navigated around the oval hole...but gone into it??

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just seen latest posts as got stalled in middle of my reply . That sure is a filled in crack , what other horrors lurk ? £13,450 + £550 delivery for a restoration project is not a good deal :(

Roscobbc

Chuffer - prices asked/paid are all subjective - as has been mentioned £13K is not big noney for a chrome bumper car..........I think its really the steering that's mainly the real issue here perhaps?

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
When I got my C3, it all seemed very scary due to lack of knowledge & a guiding hand. I started by visiting a local small father & son garage where I had seen a few older " classic" cars on the front. They assured me the mechanics on a C3 are fairly basic & not much different to anything else of the period. I got parts from RockAuto.com (USA) or Corvette Kingdom (UK) Scott is very helpful. Small garages have a lower hourly rate. Get it up on a ramp and have a look.
I know of a C3 sold by a vendor in the north. The car was driven back down south with no problems, until the steering suddenly went totally loose. Turned out to be the idler arm. They are about £60 plus about 1 hr labour, so not catastrophic.
Keep the faith.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Roscobb - Agree , but Luckyrat clearly feels aggrieved so just trying to help the guy out before he either off loads the car real cheap or spends even more money that the dealer may be liable to rectify . Unfortunately I don`t think the Forum has heard the last of unhappy owners buying blind !
"Keep buggering on " as Churchill said :LOL:

Roscobbc

Roscobb - Agree , but Luckyrat clearly feels aggrieved so just trying to help the guy out before he either off loads the car real cheap or spends even more money that the dealer may be liable to rectify . Unfortunately I don`t think the Forum has heard the last of unhappy owners buying blind !
"Keep buggering on " as Churchill said :LOL:
I'm with you 100% Chuffer - selling it off now and potentially loosing all that he has put in to it - the only to face a different set of issues with a replacement vehicle........:(

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
i would go back to them, as the car was clearly unfit to be used on the road with these defects and the issue with the steering, the sale of good act is very clear on this particularly on the sale of used cars, the car should be free of major defects for 6 months after purchase, the sale wasn't noted as a trade sale, and as such should have been free of major defects and it is a requirement for vehicle traders to ensure that the car has been inspected prior to sale, there is always acceptable of fair wear and tear, however nothing you had mentioned comes under that catagory, the removal of need of an MOT if anything increases the duty of the motor trader, I would definitely be contacting your local trading standards.

luckyrat

Busy user
Thanks again everybody,
I think like all of us, Im feeling the “lockdown blues”!
Attached is the steering parts I’ve bought so far.
Including a new pitman arm. Is that the idler arm, or is that something else I may need? The leaking pipes definitely smell of fuel? Fixing the fuel leak and steering is the priority. Getting those sorted, and being able to go out and enjoy it will lift my mood in general, and particularly with the Stingray. Then getting the ignition to actually work from the actual key, then sort the gauges, as only the speedometer and ammeter work!.......then sort...etc.2C23B392-834D-473F-903A-2D9FF8F15CA9.jpeg86309B3C-334B-481A-BC72-0F963604658F.jpegC9AA2BED-A9CD-466B-A4CB-B74BD6A48BA9.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
i would go back to them, as the car was clearly unfit to be used on the road with these defects and the issue with the steering, the sale of good act is very clear on this particularly on the sale of used cars, the car should be free of major defects for 6 months after purchase, the sale wasn't noted as a trade sale, and as such should have been free of major defects and it is a requirement for vehicle traders to ensure that the car has been inspected prior to sale, there is always acceptable of fair wear and tear, however nothing you had mentioned comes under that catagory, the removal of need of an MOT if anything increases the duty of the motor trader, I would definitely be contacting your local trading standards.
Bang on Braeburn (y)

Corvette

Well-known user
One job at a time flushed down with Jaffa cakes and tea. That will cheer you up. Rejoice in the fact you own your dream car and remember that old phrase “Tits and tyres they’re all trouble”.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Get that car up in the air and check everything thoroughly for structural corrosion and other cracks whilst dealing with steering and fuel leak before driving anywhere . Unfortunately lock down is not a good time for all this as you really need someone local who knows about C3`s to give it a check over . Have you had the internal kick panels in the footwells off yet to check for corrosion in the base of the bird cage ? ( a well known problem area ) .

luckyrat

Busy user
Get that car up in the air and check everything thoroughly for structural corrosion and other cracks whilst dealing with steering and fuel leak before driving anywhere . Unfortunately lock down is not a good time for all this as you really need someone local who knows about C3`s to give it a check over . Have you had the internal kick panels in the footwells off yet to check for corrosion in the base of the bird cage ? ( a well known problem area ) .
That’s where the Mickey Mouse 🐭 ignition wiring is, and yes there is some flakes of rust inside😾

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Luckyrat - indeed very lucky indeed if it is only superficial flakes of rust . Hard to tell from that photo . Have you given it a hard prod with a screw driver ? What is the passenger side like ? Judging by your spend list I guess you have committed to keeping the the car , so good luck .