Weird noise latest

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All, been quiet on here as been to wet and cold to pull the starter on the 72. Do off tomorrow and dry so my plan is get it out and grt on with it as I had been burying my head a bit really. Thought I would fire it up today and noticed something that I hadnt noticed before and cant get my head around. Hoping you guys may have an explanation. I usually wind over the motor a few times before pumping the throttle to build oil pressure prior to starting. I noticed today that the scraping noise is only there once the motor fires up and NOT when the motor is just turning over. It is definately scraping on the inside of the inspection plate tho, even more baffled now , will hopefully see more tomorrow . Any thoughts ? πŸ‘

Roscobbc

When starter motor is turning engine over - is it pushing flywheel or flex plate rearwards (and out of contact with whatever is scraping. I have experienced issues with contact between flywheel/ring gear/inspection cover etc etc. Are there any 'polished' high spots you can see?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
When starter motor is turning engine over - is it pushing flywheel or flex plate rearwards (and out of contact with whatever is scraping. I have experienced issues with contact between flywheel/ring gear/inspection cover etc etc. Are there any 'polished' high spots you can see?
AhπŸ‘Will know more tomoz πŸ‘thank you

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If it’s not there when you’re turning it over on the starter but makes the noise when running. I reckon the starter motor pinion is catching on the flywheel

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Will hopefullybfind out tomorrowπŸ‘
Starter out and looks to be the ring gear chewing it up. Should I just nibble the offending bit of tin away to give clearance.?
am going out to see if there is any movement in the flywheel while its out. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome,Thank you all for your helpπŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Starter out and looks to be the ring gear chewing it up. Should I just nibble the offending bit of tin away to give clearance.?
am going out to see if there is any movement in the flywheel while its out. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome,Thank you all for your helpπŸ‘
My guess is you would experience serious vibrations with engine running if the flywheel was loose ( not Good Vibrations , surfer dude :LOL: ) . Hope you finally crack this ongoing niggle .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I trimmed around the gnarled up bit in the picture and bent the tabs so they located on the sump lip. Refitted plate and starter motor . Fired up to less noise but still touching. Removed plate bolts and flexd it out then put a screwdriver up and eased out the top near the sump to give a bit more clearance. Thought I would try this before pulling starter motor. Much less noise now but still faintly scraping. Went for a test up the road, got less than 500 yards when an almighty clank clank rattle tinkle much worse than the original one . I pulled over, no pnone had a look around and under expecting to see bits of plate or a spanner or something. Nothing, quite busy traffic so i thought only thing i could do was drive back home , within 3/400 yards i noticed it completely quiet , i can push the plate in and make it touch but for now it is running quiet with no scrape. Can only think it caught the plate again and clanked a few times before breaking off the mangled bit.
I couldnt get any movement from the flywheel or harmonic balancer with a pry bar. I will test over weekend to see if i can get a bit of confidence back in it. Guess I will pull the starter and plate again to seewhat got mangled this time. Any point ordering a new plate, run without one or keep trimming this one. They obviously run very close to flywheel , too close. And further thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks all.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Clank clank bang tinkle , must have been scary :eek: I would defo get the car in the air and have the starter off to see what was going on in the innerds . If you are still running the original oil drum size starter motor I would recommend swapping it for a mini starter while you are at it . They are brilliant . Much smaller , lighter , more efficient at spinning the engine over and with more air space around them they are far less prone to heat soak and all the problems that causes .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Clank clank bang tinkle , must have been scary :eek: I would defo get the car in the air and have the starter off to see what was going on in the innerds . If you are still running the original oil drum size starter motor I would recommend swapping it for a mini starter while you are at it . They are brilliant . Much smaller , lighter , more efficient at spinning the engine over and with more air space around them they are far less prone to heat soak and all the problems that causes .
I can see why folk fit a small starter, that one was a lump to re fit trying to align bolts and shim, must be costing me a few bhp and extra fuel costs πŸ˜‚. Anyone running with no plate? Anyone replaced the plate, the new ones look identical so would I have the same problem. ? πŸ‘