Weird noise latest

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Mad4 , I can`t remember now if yours is manual or auto . My 1980 auto has a plastic plate , all be it heavy duty plastic material that covers the area where the starter goes through to flywheel ring . I had to cut a small piece out to clear the mini starter mounting block .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Mad4 , I can`t remember now if yours is manual or auto . My 1980 auto has a plastic plate , all be it heavy duty plastic material that covers the area where the starter goes through to flywheel ring . I had to cut a small piece out to clear the mini starter mounting block .
Thanks chuffer, mine is a manual box, starter was shimmed, the noise this time was way worse the original time but it must have caught a bit of the plate then broken it off so although it is now silent, i feel i should pull it out again to see what bit hit this time. Will go for short drives to see if it stays quiet. 👍

Roscobbc

Clank clank bang tinkle , must have been scary :eek: I would defo get the car in the air and have the starter off to see what was going on in the innerds . If you are still running the original oil drum size starter motor I would recommend swapping it for a mini starter while you are at it . They are brilliant . Much smaller , lighter , more efficient at spinning the engine over and with more air space around them they are far less prone to heat soak and all the problems that causes .
Mini starters are not always so simple to install and adjust - fine it you have an auto transmission not always quite so straight forward 'shimming' a manual transmission in the car without a removeable inspection cover.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If it’s not making a noise now I’d leave it alone
Thought I would try it again to gain some confidence, a short test run less than a mile and all good, came back home and thought i would go a bit further , picked up daughter and got couple of miles on way to the fuel station when it started again , pulled in , stopped and started again, gone away , headed home , got 50yds started again , drove it home gently with noise still there. Will pull starter and plate again tomorrow and see what new damage to plate has been done this time. Could it still just be the plate ? ( I have a new one coming) I am thinking is it something more as is something else moving to make it touch , flywheel loose or crank walk ? 😩

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If pressing the clutch doesn’t make it worse it’s not crank end float so wouldn’t worry about that.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Going to pull it out again and going to try to refit starter motor without it and see what happens 👍
Well chaps, took out starter and plate and out dropped a gnarled up I presume Flywheel bolt !! So its engine out next. Will order some arp bolts ready for the job just as well put a clutch in and new spigot bush .

Attachments

• A9DA8C89-8D4F-4722-9247-B0C81535A75B.jpeg
    A9DA8C89-8D4F-4722-9247-B0C81535A75B.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Flywheel bolts are fine thread. That looks coarse so not sure. The pressure plate bolts are coarse but they’ve got a shoulder I think.

Roscobbc

Do you need to remove the engine? - if its a manual transmission surely you can remove gearbox c/w bellhousing - or - gearbox from bell housing - then bellhousing off the engine block?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I thought the engine was rebuilt before you bought the car and you had all the gen from the guys who did it / sold it ??? :unsure: Not a happy situation .:(

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Flywheel bolts are fine thread. That looks coarse so not sure. The pressure plate bolts are coarse but they’ve got a shoulder I think.
You sre right , could a flywheel bolt actually get past the clutch and then down behind plate? Not sure about clutch cover as it looks a bit big but it is mangled up. Any other possibilities? Nothing gearbox seal related as i am loosing gbox oil into bellhousing ?👍
I thought the engine was rebuilt before you bought the car and you had all the gen from the guys who did it / sold it ??? :unsure: Not a happy situation .:(
it was , totally, I guess something didnt get torqued up I dont know , still not sure where this bolt has come from yet 🤔

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Do you need to remove the engine? - if its a manual transmission surely you can remove gearbox c/w bellhousing - or - gearbox from bell housing - then bellhousing off the engine block?
I could , but i just thought it looked easier to pull engine than gbox, when they fitted engine they did it together with the transmission attached.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You sre right , could a flywheel bolt actually get past the clutch and then down behind plate? Not sure about clutch cover as it looks a bit big but it is mangled up. Any other possibilities? Nothing gearbox seal related as i am loosing gbox oil into bellhousing ?👍

it was , totally, I guess something didnt get torqued up I dont know , still not sure where this bolt has come from yet 🤔
According to Mike Brewer are American cousins are renowned for not tightening nuts and bolts up on resto jobs . :unsure:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thinking about it, I reckon that is a gearbox front bearing retainer bolt.
Ok ? Where would I find that oneball, is that where the main shaft comes out of the gearbox into the bell housing? Would there be a seal there too as i am leaking gearbox oil into the bellhousing. Could That explain my vibration through the shifter as well I wonder🤔

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ok ? Where would I find that oneball, is that where the main shaft comes out of the gearbox into the bell housing? Would there be a seal there too as i am leaking gearbox oil into the bellhousing. Could That explain my vibration through the shifter as well I wonder🤔