Weird noise latest

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I would just take the gearbox out. It’s not too difficult a job then you’ll be able to see what’s going on.
I must admit when you posted that picture of the damaged bell housing cover I couldn’t see how the flywheel could have done that....and now you know. The bolt coming out could be the cause OR the symptom of your vibration. I’ve heard that a worn pilot bushing can allow the clutch to go slightly off centre and cause major vibrations.

This reminds me of when I took the cover off my old differential and the remains of FIVE ring gear bolts dropped out. There had been some alarming noises going on!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I would just take the gearbox out. It’s not too difficult a job then you’ll be able to see what’s going on.
I must admit when you posted that picture of the damaged bell housing cover I couldn’t see how the flywheel could have done that....and now you know. The bolt coming out could be the cause OR the symptom of your vibration. I’ve heard that a worn pilot bushing can allow the clutch to go slightly off centre and cause major vibrations.

This reminds me of when I took the cover off my old differential and the remains of FIVE ring gear bolts dropped out. There had been some alarming noises going on!
Lucky it didnt shatter the bellhousing, the noises were awful like someone had left a spanner in there. Can the exhaust stay in position when removing the gearbox? And do you split from bellhousing and remove seperately? Thank you for help 👍

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Exhausts off. remove gearbox and bell housing together - I’m not sure you would actually be able to get to the upper ‘box to bell housing bolts anyway? The rear of the motor will need a Jack under it for support. Don’t forget to disconnect the speedo cable.

Roscobbc

If I can do with a big block - a small block should be no issue. You'll perhaps struggle with exhaust system depending on whether stock or headers and how it's pieced together.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If I can do with a big block - a small block should be no issue. You'll perhaps struggle with exhaust system depending on whether stock or headers and how it's pieced together.
Thanks all, thinking that if bearing is gone and bolt out of carrier then that could well be the cause of my vibration through the shifter and my oil leak, ! Any suggestions for best place for carrier , bearing and bolts ?👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Seriously doubt the carrier is damaged. But it could be cracked if they’ve used the wrong gasket. It should have lock tabs, so I’m guessing they’re missing. I wouldn’t get parts till you know what you need. If you take the bearing out You really need the special spanner to remove the nut from the main shaft.

Get the box out see if the bearing is ok and hopefully it’s just the gasket, bolts and lock tab.

I’d recommend auto gear in NY but if it’s just a gasket the usual guys here will help.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ps the gasket comes in different thicknesses as it shims the retainer
Thanks , oneball , i saw that video re the gaskets. I looked at new bolts , they looked a tad shorter than this one but not sure from the pic. We are presuming now a bearing carrier housing bolt, but could it have come from anywhere else? The fact that I had the vibration and now I have the leak does point to this doesnt it 👍

TimP

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately strange noises have a habit of ending up in a big job. It will be interesting to see what you find when you get everything disassembled. Hope it hasn't done any serious damage. I've got a few photos of my gearbox and linkage out of the car so if you need any just let me know.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately strange noises have a habit of ending up in a big job. It will be interesting to see what you find when you get everything disassembled. Hope it hasn't done any serious damage. I've got a few photos of my gearbox and linkage out of the car so if you need any just let me know.
Thanks tim, it is all running, working and sounding quiet now the bolt that was flying around had dropped out. Just got to confirm where exactly it came from. Got to strip it to do the oil leak so hopefully will find the bolt is also something to do with the vibration I had been experiencing too 👍