What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Water exits via a rubber tube from the outside of the ventilation box to the inner wheel arch. The vent box has a flap that is controlled by a vacuum actuator to allow air out of the cabin.
I wonder how many owners ever think to regularly clean out drain holes in bottom of doors , scuttles , and other drainage chanels on any of their cars . Always a recipe for corrosion , damp carpets , wet electrics etc . The MG ZT and similar Rover saloons were a real problem if the scuttle drains either of the windscreen weren`t kept clear . The void under the plastic cover filled with water and that is where the ECU is located . Fizz , bang , no go !!

Roscobbc

I wonder how many owners ever think to regularly clean out drain holes in bottom of doors , scuttles , and other drainage chanels on any of their cars . Always a recipe for corrosion , damp carpets , wet electrics etc . The MG ZT and similar Rover saloons were a real problem if the scuttle drains either of the windscreen weren`t kept clear . The void under the plastic cover filled with water and that is where the ECU is located . Fizz , bang , no go !!
An interesting 'factoid' Chuffer. After reading Oneball's comments about Astro Ventilation I was confused about the vacuum actuator under the rear deck (non a/c cars only) -
48130273d1501374499-astro-ventilation-dsc_0126_2.jpg
and immediately thought "that's a 'weak' spot, theoretically that could create all sorts of issues - where the hell does the vacuum line run on my car"? -
Simple expanation - '68's don't have one - and simply rely on positive cabin pressure to active/open flaps under rear deck - kinda logical really.
So GM decide to complicate things with a vacuum activated override - why? - all a bit of a waste of time and gimic really - much like the fibre optic 'tell tale' for the lights on earlier C3's - all very nice when all connected and working as a talking point perhaps.......but if faulty do you bother to repair it?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
An interesting 'factoid' Chuffer. After reading Oneball's comments about Astro Ventilation I was confused about the vacuum actuator under the rear deck (non a/c cars only) -
48130273d1501374499-astro-ventilation-dsc_0126_2.jpg
and immediately thought "that's a 'weak' spot, theoretically that could create all sorts of issues - where the hell does the vacuum line run on my car"? -
Simple expanation - '68's don't have one - and simply rely on positive cabin pressure to active/open flaps under rear deck - kinda logical really.
So GM decide to complicate things with a vacuum activated override - why? - all a bit of a waste of time and gimic really - much like the fibre optic 'tell tale' for the lights on earlier C3's - all very nice when all connected and working as a talking point perhaps.......but if faulty do you bother to repair it?
Sure sounds a dumb idea , and what a long suck through a pipe from the manifold to the actuator in the back of the car ! I wonder how many of them actually worked and for how long ? :unsure: The guy who came visiting in my street the other day in his Cadillac Coupedeville had fibre optic tell tails for front and rear lights . The rears were little pin point lights in the roof lining above rear bench seats so you can see them in the rear view mirror . He claimed they all worked too !

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I need to repair those fibre optics. I want to use a karcher to clear out the vents properly.
I wouldn`t use a Karcher in that confined space if I were you , no telling what problems you might cause . Just take the grills out and use some elbow grease . Then use a length of single electrical wire to poke down the drain tubes to clear the crap out .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Or why not just have an open vent. If you’ve ever heard people talk about airflow and pre-airflow Cortinas it’s basically the same thing. The later airflow cars have a chrome vent on the c-pillar to let air out of the cabin.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
On my '75 the rear "vents" are purely cosmetic. There's not a drain either which is annoying because water just sits in them. The water will come out when you drive off...and streak all down the rear deck! The vents were deleted on the '76.

Roscobbc

Vacuum operated items were quite commonplace on American cars in up to the 60's - probably more reliable than electronics of the day. The '66 Galaxie I had )even though a two door) used vacuum motors for central locking and bucket seat interlocks.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Don`t you just love the quality of welding on C3`s . Looks like it`s done by a blind welder with only one arm ! o_O
PS . Apologies in advance if you welded those trailing arms yourself Antijam ! :oops:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Don`t you just love the quality of welding on C3`s . Looks like it`s done by a blind welder with only one arm ! o_O
PS . Apologies in advance if you welded those trailing arms yourself Antijam ! :oops:
Twasn't me Chuffer - the welding is Uncle Sams original best.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
All the manufacturer will worry about is will it outlive the 1 year warranty we offer. If it does, it’s not down to us anymore.