What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Not directly myself, but my 73 had some badly aged tyres so it was new boots all round this morning.

Ordered though Northants Tyres with the club code, there were no BF Goodrichs to be had, so Galaxy it was.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

A lovely drive back to the village I lived in a couple of years ago & even though the sun didn't play ball, I had a blast! ๐Ÿ˜

PXL_20220423_081304030~4_filtered.jpg
PXL_20220423_090302887_7_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Really need to change that antenna as it distracts the look of the car
Maybe an electric one so it is down most of the time or one that you manually lower

4.jpg

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Really need to change that antenna as it distracts the look of the car
Maybe an electric one so it is down most of the time or one that you manually lower

View attachment 16476
Naturally your photo accentuates it a lot more, I'd not personally really noticed it that much, but certainly I hear what your saying.

Right now I'm just driving & enjoying it while tuning in to squeaks, rattles and engine tones so I can be more in tune for any potential issues.

Any changes / work can be done while I'm otherwise occupied with getting my business back up and running.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Lucky you with the tyres . I have been on North Hants and Londstones waiting list for about 2 months now as need to replace my front 255/60/R15 Bf Goodrich tyres . No production dates available at all at moment . :cry: I need BF`s to match the lettering on rears . Thankfully the ones on the car have lots of tread but with a 2014 date stamp I want to replace them asap .

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Lucky you with the tyres . I have been on North Hants and Londstones waiting list for about 2 months now as need to replace my front 255/60/R15 Bf Goodrich tyres . No production dates available at all at moment . :cry: I need BF`s to match the lettering on rears . Thankfully the ones on the car have lots of tread but with a 2014 date stamp I want to replace them asap .
They told me aside from the back order issue on BF Goodrich, the US suppliers have added 30% to the prices. ๐Ÿ˜”

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That`s all I need to hear ! Having just filled up with Esso Synergie 99 RON at ยฃ1.849 / litre on the way home from Bicester Scramble today , I can`t afford to eat for month never mind buy two new tyres ! :cry:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Been to the Bicester Scramble today . A total sell out with a huge amount of cars on display . My C3 was the only Corvette there amongst many hundreds of cars except for a Penske Racing C2 coupe lurking in the back of one of heritage workshops behind a rather boring Ferrari California Spider !! DSC_0529.JPGDSC_0534.JPGDSC_0572.JPGDSC_0542.JPGDSC_0576.JPGDSC_0544.JPGThe Purple Peril drew plenty of attention I am proud to say . :D
No shortage of Americana there though . All the trade workshops were open plus a big auto jumble in one the hangers , so plenty of interesting stuff to fill the day . Got there at the 9 am opening and went off to get a breakfast bap and coffee and went back to the Vette to find Smokey Bear parked alongside . I thought I had been nicked by the Highway Patrol . :ROFLMAO:

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
I replaced the BFG's (265/50 x 15)on the rear of my Minor last year with the only tyre I could find that had a better speed rating - Galaxy's from North Hants. These BFG's were at least 20 years old, looked like new, had done probably 300 trips up my local strip, plus road miles. Wet handling was scary, and really low on grip in the dry too so i looked for an alternative, and Galaxy's seem to be the best option at present. I dread having to replace the bigger Mickey Thomson's on my other Minor - if i can find any. Tyres in general have decreased in availability and up in price.

Pete

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I replaced the BFG's (265/50 x 15)on the rear of my Minor last year with the only tyre I could find that had a better speed rating - Galaxy's from North Hants. These BFG's were at least 20 years old, looked like new

Pete
When I recently got my C3, the BFGs had a huge amount of tread left but one was so seriously cracked and with the other tyres showing similar signs of old age, I wasn't taking any chances with any of them!

New boots all round. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
IMG-20220330-WA0026_copy_1080x1440.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member

Letank

CCCUK Member
I have seen a number of C3s in the UK with these on. Theyโ€™re very likely an SUV tyre with an aspect ratio of 70, but the tread pattern is definitely geared more towards on road than off-road use. They wonโ€™t be commercial use as those would typically be designated โ€˜Cโ€™ in the size. I have 22โ€ M+S tyres on my daily and I will push that much harder than I would my C3 on UK roads, so I think they would be fine for C3 owners looking for a cheaper alternative to BF Goodrichโ€™s or Cooper Cobraโ€™s.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just looked on their website, it says they are mainly for road use. They look fine to me.
I doubt many owners ever push their C3 hard anymore. There bloody antiques now. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
When I recently got my C3, the BFGs had a huge amount of tread left but one was so seriously cracked and with the other tyres showing similar signs of old age, I wasn't taking any chances with any of them!

New boots all round. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
View attachment 16493
I think what kept my BFG's in good condition is the fact that my car is always garaged. I believe it's being exposed to sunlght that contributes greatly to tyre degradation. However, the tyres were rock solid with almost no give in the rubber, and obviously got worse with age. Even when fresh, the wet weather grip was extremely poor bordering on the dangerous. I gave them to a friend to use as a mock up for his hot rod model Y with strict instructions not to run them, but it's up to him really, but he has been warned.

Pete

Roscobbc

Old BFG's loose grip - harden-up - and never seem to wear out.......commensurate with age. Its an odd fact but it seems almost that the older they get the longer they last (except for the micro-cracking on the block pattern) 'complaining' voiciferously when cornering by screaming like some old American land barge from the 50's or 60's

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Old BFG's loose grip - harden-up - and never seem to wear out.......commensurate with age. Its an odd fact but it seems almost that the older they get the longer they last (except for the micro-cracking on the block pattern) 'complaining' voiciferously when cornering by screaming like some old American land barge from the 50's or 60's
You couldnโ€™t make a cop series without all the screeching, it somehow made the car chase etc.