What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Perhaps by luck rather than good judgement we never felt the need to climb the property ladder and we survived the 80's without incurring negative equity. Fifty years ago we bought our first and only house, a small dilapidated cottage situated in half an acre of cabbages. It cost £4750. Fifty years on it's still the same plot; the cabbages have gone, the cottage is somewhat larger, I have plenty of space to play with my six cars and should we need to sell we'd probably recoup our £4750. :);)
It wasn`t a case of trying to climb the property ladder , it was needs must due to a failed relationship which meant buying a small place of my own to live . It all happened at the wrong time unfortunately . Thankfully that is well in the past and and been mortgage free for years in a property that is now valued at considerably more than the doer upper I bought 26 years ago .

Roscobbc

We, fortunately too were never in a negative equity situation.......but were perilously close to having to sell-up when I was made redundant twice within 6 months. Had to sell a few cars and other possessions to exist. It took a good few years to recover financially.

johng

CCCUK Member
Went to a family get together over lunchtime today. An hours drive each way through a mixture of dual carriageway and busy town town driving. Seemed like a good opportunity to really test my air conditioning. It kept us cool enough, although not freezing. The coolant temperature did go up to the highest I've ever seen it 195F, normally it runs around 175F. The slightly odd thing was that whenever I accelerated hard, the air stopped coming out of the vents and came out by our feet instead. I imagine this is as a result of low vacuum whilst accelerating. Anyone else noticed this?

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I fell asleep in the stingray last night. Was watching car videos yet again and just had to get behind the wheel. Ended up in there for a few hours with a wooly coat.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
First day of Classic Silverstone today , 7 Vettes fetched up but should be 13 tomorrow and 15 on Sunday . Perfect weather for a change too but alas not a Corvette to be seen in any of todays qualifying rounds . Had to make do with a couple of Camaro`s flying the flag for Chevrolet . :( Spotted this C3 consigned to Silverstone Auctions displaying a 2016 CCCUK Membership sticker .DSC_1007.JPGDSC_1005.JPGDSC_0998.JPGDSC_0951.JPG

Letank

CCCUK Member
Spotted this C3 consigned to Silverstone Auctions displaying a 2016 CCCUK Membership sticker .View attachment 18828
That’s the Bridgehampton Blue 454 ‘72 with both the side and rear exit exhausts that sold in a similar CCA Auction at Syon Park last summer. It went for just over £35k back then, so it will be interesting to see what it goes for this time around. Shame it’s being sold on again so soon, but I always keep an eye on what’s out there and it’s not at all uncommon to see the same old cars come up every year or so.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
First day of Classic Silverstone today , 7 Vettes fetched up but should be 13 tomorrow and 15 on Sunday . Perfect weather for a change too but alas not a Corvette to be seen in any of todays qualifying rounds . Had to make do with a couple of Camaro`s flying the flag for Chevrolet . :( Spotted this C3 consigned to Silverstone Auctions displaying a 2016 CCCUK Membership sticker .View attachment 18825View attachment 18826View attachment 18827View attachment 18828
I wish I was nearer to all the action , being stuck in the shire makes it hard to attend these meets. Have a good weekend. Keep the pictures coming👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
That’s the Bridgehampton Blue 454 ‘72 with both the side and rear exit exhausts that sold in a similar CCA Auction at Syon Park last summer. It went for just over £35k back then, so it will be interesting to see what it goes for this time around. Shame it’s being sold on again so soon, but I always keep an eye on what’s out there and it’s not at all uncommon to see the same old cars come up every year or so.
looks a lovely example. Do you know if it had had a body off restoration? Keep us posted on what it makes. 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
From memory guide price was £30 to £40K . Strange how some cars get punted around so regularly .

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I'm not sure how I did this but I guess the world is being kind to me and I managed to insure it for £350 this year which is a massive difference from £1400 last year which I was paying £160 monthly but I couldn't say no, I was very depressed and wanted something to cheer me up. The other night I was desperately trying to find quotes and pretty much everyone wanted over £1000 which isn't worth it to me. I came across Sterling Insurance that did it for an actual fair price for insurance on a classic car.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I'm not sure how I did this but I guess the world is being kind to me and I managed to insure it for £350 this year which is a massive difference from £1400 last year which I was paying £160 monthly but I couldn't say no, I was very depressed and wanted something to cheer me up. The other night I was desperately trying to find quotes and pretty much everyone wanted over £1000 which isn't worth it to me. I came across Sterling Insurance that did it for an actual fair price for insurance on a classic car.

That is a bummer
I recall when I was 20 years old and bought my first used 1974 C3
Insurance all wanted big bucks saying it was due to as I was young and not common at that age to own a "sports car" and would be a risk

10 years ago I got a letter from my insurance company saying they would not renew the policy I had been paying them for 15 years
stating since I had never had a crash, never filed a claim that their math says I am due to be in a crash ;-(
F them . . .

Today I pay $450 for a whole year and that includes my 1993 Caddy and the 1999 C5 and have paid for insurance for over 55 years
and not once crashed or filed a claim.

Be nice to have all that money back !

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
great news, glad there are still sensible insurers about. 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Fab news James, glad you get to keep the Corvette.

As for insurance people, they are a laugh. Added my wife (6 years younger than me) to my 1968 Corvette policy and the insurers didn't bat an eyelid. Add my wife to my daily diesel Ford Focus insurance policy (different insurer) and its all "Woah mate, that's gonna cost tons loads more because of her age". I politely (and correctly) stated that "I have added my wife to my 300 bhp (factory rating) Corvette and that didn't change the policy cost for that insurer, but you're telling me your insurance company wants a ton load more money for my wife to be added onto a 140bhp diesel Focus that is worth bugger all?" (probably £1.5k tops). They soon saw my point and I think they added her for a token amount like a £5 or summat.