What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yeah , very lucky really as we have Silverstone , Sywell , Santa Pod, Bicester Heritage and Gaydon Motor Museum events all within less than 30 mile radius of where I live . Will be going to the Bicester Scramble on 9th October which always has a huge turn out of amazing cars . But then you have glorious Cornish beaches on your doorstep . 😎
Brilliant! Best I could manage was cars n coffee in newquay but the 72 got a lot of compliments and also met a mach one fwend , “oooh Car fwends” 🤣🤣413C2AD7-64C4-4FF6-B313-E2F1F2FAFE25.jpegC8FF7A52-157A-4616-88C9-29EED98D9AD0.jpeg7E7A78AE-E8EA-4855-8292-D5B7D6AC3F29.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Can well imagine your car getting lots of comments Mad4 , it looks stunning . Glad you new fwends too . It`s always good to chat to like minded car nuts . :D

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Went for spin tonight. The engine fired up on the button and was ready to go after revving very slightly with my toe for about 1:30 minutes. Now instead of fixing the heater I was thinking of buying a usb heater if that even exists but anyway it wasn't that cold. Speaking of usb, you don't need AC installed because on hot days you can buy a usb fan, save lots of money! Anyway the car ran perfectly and I felt very snug in the C3 interior, love it.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've been meaning to take mine for a drive since I tweaked the carb settings a bit and tinkering in the garage. Alas, its been raining since then... except annoyingly its sometimes sunny when I'm at work and thus can't go out.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Cruised last night with my brother because... we wanted mcdonalds at midnight.🍟 It struggled to idle because it was so cold but once we got moving it was 100% fine. When I put my foot down it felt like it was going to take off! I was shocked how fast it is when you really go for it.😲

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cruised last night with my brother because... we wanted mcdonalds at midnight.🍟 It struggled to idle because it was so cold but once we got moving it was 100% fine. When I put my foot down it felt like it was going to take off! I was shocked how fast it is when you really go for it.😲
I bet the neighbours loved you firing up a Vette at midnight ! 🤣

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

The cooler the airmass is the richer the AFR is, less chance of engine knock and better performance
sounds like your carb needs some adjustment as to choke or butterfly opening or jet sizing for when engine is in open loop

antijam

CCCUK Member
When I bought my '71 three years ago the steering, in common with many C3's, was best described as 'wayward'. The rag joint was obviously shot and the power steering system was an oily mess. I checked the ball joints in the linkage for wear but all seemed tight. I replaced the rag joint and the power steering valve, ram and hoses, fiddled with the adjuster on top of the steering box and found steering considerably improved though still far from precise.
Having recently rebuilt most of the rear suspension with new spring, shocks, drive shafts, struts and trailing arms I needed to get my initial realignment checked professionally. Easier said than done in this neck of Little Britain; all the local tyre shops have gone computerised and when presented with a 50 year old Yank - computer says 'No'. :( Eventually discover a local garagiste out in the sticks who has both the equipment and the nous to do a full 4-wheel alignment on a C3 'Vette (rather reassuringly he had a bare bbc block lying on the shop floor!) With everything adjusted to within spec. but steering still less than pin sharp, it seemed a good time to attempt a more comprehensive tuning of the box adjustment.
steering box.JPG
The Saginaw box has two adjustments to remove play. The obvious one is the screw on top of the box to adjust the mesh of the sector gear with the ball nut but there's another around the input shaft below the rag joint to remove end play in the wormshaft - this adjustment should be made first..

adjusters.jpg
Ideally adjustment should be done with the box on the bench, or if left in the car at least with the Pitman arm disconnected. I elect to do neither. Being a power steering car the Pitman arm is connected directly to the control valve and separation often results in damage to the valve, however power steering does have one advantage in that until the engine is started and the valve pressurised, there is quite a lot of free play at the steering wheel which should make 'feeling' a tight spot easier.

Box lubricant has probably not been refreshed since 1971 so first job is to load the box with grease. You can buy a grease fitting specifically for the box for around £20 but it's easy to make your own. I found a 3/8" NC screw lying around the garage, shortened it, drilled it through and tapped it for a grease nipple ('zerk' to our colonial cousins).
Grease nipple.JPG

Armed with this I assembled the tools for the job......
P1370849-001.JPG
On the left left, grease, greasegun and 9/16" AF socket on a long extension bar to remove the box cover screws (If they haven't been moved in 50 years they're tight ); in the middle a large flat bladed screwdriver and a short 5/8" AF ring spanner to adjust the gear mesh and on the right, a hammer and a long steel drift to loosen the wormshaft adjuster locknut and a short 1¾" wrench to do the adjustment. I removed two screws from the top of the box, refitted my greasing tool into one and injected copious amounts of grease.
Greasing.jpg

Replaced original screws and then slackened off both adjusters. The lock nut on the wormshaft adjuster is slackened using the hammer and drift and then the adjuster wound out three or four turns using the wrench. Any lash in the wormshaft is taken up by torquing the adjuster to 5-8 lbf.in.. The arm on my wrench is about 6" so a force of about 1 lbf. applied to the end should do the trick. With the friction in the large thread on the adjuster this loading is not going to be very precise so I adjusted to remove any axial float and then gave the spanner a 'tweak'. Ensuring the adjuster didn't move I retightened the lock nut with the hammer and drift.

The sector gear lash is adjusted with the wheels straight ahead and the screw wound in until slight drag is felt at the steering wheel, then backed off about a ¼ turn. There is lost motion between the adjuster and the wormshaft so it's important to make the final adjustment by screwing the adjuster in. I did this by noting the adjuster position as the drag is felt, backing off a couple of turns, screwing in again 1 ¾ turns and then tightening the locknut while holding the screwdriver. With both adjustments done it's off for a test drive. There's certainly an improvement although the steering is still less than R&P sharp. I can though now travel down the road in a straight line without having to make constant minor corrections, so it's a significant gain.

I know there are improvements that can be made over the original system - Borgeson box or Steeroids R&P for example - but properly adjusted and maintained it's nice to keep originality.

Oh, and one final job, I put the 'Vette clock back one hour; any other C3 owners had to do the same?:unsure:;)

Last edited:

johng

CCCUK Member
Antijam, it's funny that you should post this, as I was researching this very subject 2 nights ago since I've never tried adjusting my steering box and I'm looking for things to keep me busy :)
I found this paper by Jim Shea, which is similar to your method but does have a couple differences. In particular he says you shouldn't fill the box with grease as you need air pockets to allow for expansion.
Jim Shea’s Steering Papers » Blog Archive » Manual Gear Adjustment – in vehicle (Rev 14NO2008)

antijam

CCCUK Member
.......I found this paper by Jim Shea, which is similar to your method but does have a couple differences. In particular he says you shouldn't fill the box with grease as you need air pockets
That's a good point johng. Several sources suggest filling the box until grease comes out of the hole with the screw removed. I didn't do this, only pumping grease in until I could just detect some with a screwdriver poked down the hole. At that point I refitted the screw and actually drove around for a while to get the grease and air distributed in the box before doing the adjustments.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I was hoping to take the C3 out for a final spin before going away for Christmas week but it was minus 10 degrees C in our village this morning . Add to that main roads covered in salt and the final couple of miles to the workshop being an untreated , ice covered single track lane , today was not a good idea . So drove over in the Jeep and `winterised ` the Vette . Cranked it over on the starter until oil pressure was up to 40 psi to get some oil around . Pumped up the tyres to 40 psi and rolled it forward a foot or so to stand on a different footprint . I will roll it back and forth every few weeks over the winter period . Then re-connected the battery conditioner , topped up the de humidifier that sits in the footwell with fresh granules , blew her a kiss goodnight and pulled the dust cover back over . :whistle:

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Just back from 5 months on the road and.....I want to hit the road in one of the Corvettes!
I saw many hundreds these last few months, so time to get back out there myself.

The C6 had some home TLC from Lincs Corvette today, so I'm good to head for an MOT/ Tax tomorrow.

Anyone else a winter driver? :unsure: 🎄

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just back from 5 months on the road and.....I want to hit the road in one of the Corvettes!
I saw many hundreds these last few months, so time to get back out there myself.

The C6 had some home TLC from Lincs Corvette today, so I'm good to head for an MOT/ Tax tomorrow.

Anyone else a winter driver? :unsure: 🎄
Go to it ma man . (y) I just can`t be arsed with all the hassle of washing the C3 down after every drive while there is this road crap and salt about .:(

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I was hoping to take the C3 out for a final spin before going away for Christmas week but it was minus 10 degrees C in our village this morning . Add to that main roads covered in salt and the final couple of miles to the workshop being an untreated , ice covered single track lane , today was not a good idea . So drove over in the Jeep and `winterised ` the Vette . Cranked it over on the starter until oil pressure was up to 40 psi to get some oil around . Pumped up the tyres to 40 psi and rolled it forward a foot or so to stand on a different footprint . I will roll it back and forth every few weeks over the winter period . Then re-connected the battery conditioner , topped up the de humidifier that sits in the footwell with fresh granules , blew her a kiss goodnight and pulled the dust cover back over . :whistle: