What is the latest on European tyres for our C3’s

Moliere

Busy user
I have American tyres on my C3 1974. Almost new. The front end slides on braking in the wet. Like my Harley, American tyres do not suit our weather conditions. When I changed to Metzler‘s that bike really handles. Any alternative suggestions for the C3? Makes, sizes etc?

Roscobbc

The market is a bit limited if you are looking to source reasonably priced and suitable European manufactured tyres - 'our' sizes are all but obsolete. Most of the USA sourced tyres only have a speed rating of 112 mph. Fine you might say as we have a 70 mph speed limit! - some of our members are perfectly happy with lower speed rated tyres. The Galaxy brand marketed by North Hants Tyres has a few suitable tyres with much higher speed ratings (and some good experiences from members who have used them).

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
If you have the same age tyre back and front in the same size, with the same degree of wear and only your fronts are sliding (when straight line braking) I would be looking at something else rather than the tyre

Last edited:

phild

CCCUK Member
Had a similar issue, albeit not on a Corvette, and it was the front tyres, I'gone through alignment checks etc and all was fine. Even though they had plenty of tread they had age hardened and had lost grip. The rears, this was also a RWD car, had been changed more recently since they wore quicker and were fine. New fronts made an amazing difference.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Perhaps check operation of proportioning valve?
I wonder what the proportion is front to rear. I’ve locked up my fronts plenty of times but never been aware of the rear being locked, and you certainly don’t want the rear to lock before the fronts.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
There’s no brake proportioning valve on a C3 (unless you ordered an L88 in 1968).

The differential braking is a function of caliper and master cylinder.

The valve block in the system after the master cylinder is a safety feature that locks off a leaking circuit and illuminates a warning light when the proportion of pressure front to rear isn’t correct.

Roscobbc

Thought later C3's had proportioning valves - earlier C3's as you say just have distribution block - first year C3 doesn't even have safety switch.....

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thought later C3's had proportioning valves - earlier C3's as you say just have distribution block - first year C3 doesn't even have safety switch.....

I think they just changed the design, I’ve got one of the later ones for my 69.

Moliere

Busy user
Yes and thank you. I will take her to a a guy with a brake test set up just in case. I have only driven her once from purchase and the long drive was in rain. It may have been road conditions/markings. This car had a lot of work done to her including all new brakes/steering etc.

Either way I would like a choice regarding tyres. Appears there are no European tyres available then.

Roscobbc

Yes and thank you. I will take her to a a guy with a brake test set up just in case. I have only driven her once from purchase and the long drive was in rain. It may have been road conditions/markings. This car had a lot of work done to her including all new brakes/steering etc.

Either way I would like a choice regarding tyres. Appears there are no European tyres available then.
Any European tyres may be limited to just one or two choices (depending on size you select). European emission laws relating to tyre compounds a few years seemed to limit choice of tyres for less popular sizes.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
There are European tyres available but they’re not cheap. Avon and Michelin do tyres in the appropriate sizes but they’re about £300 each.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
No European Tyres available I believe, well certainly not for my wider size on a C3 - non US you have Avon, but in my view (unless they have brought out something new in the size) not the best tread pattern for wet weather and anyway Avon I believe have been taken over by Cooper.

Nothing wrong with Cooper Cobras I have used them for decades ever since I could no longer get the Pirelli P7s - Wet weather they are great, the wider the tyre the greater the propensity to aquaplane, my fronts and rears are 295s and wet grip is more important to me than any other facet of tyre performance - Plus they are M & S and so a softer compound for dry grip and a bonus re age hardening.

What you may have experienced is the front sliding because the wheels were locked up and there was camber on the road or the steering wheel was not dead centre which can be scary at speed as it is not an experience you usually come across as most modern cars have ABS

If you lock the wheels in the Wet at speed on a C3 - YOU ARE GOING TO SLIDE - usually even a flat looking road has camber

Do NOT lock the Brakes - "If you are hairing it in the wet and need rapid braking, you need to pump the brake pedal at the same speed your heart is pumping"

Moliere

Busy user
Many thanks DV, all stated is helpful. Yes I may have locked her up. A1M, to A1 near roundabout. As I say she is new to me, first drive nearly five hours in lousy conditions that day. And the electric window would not go up! Ha! No regrets though! Fuel consumption was real bad. I usualy drive a RHD Chevrolet G20 Day van, 350, now going up for sale. She consumes nearly £65.00 on this run, fuel injected. The C3 over £80.00. Comes with the territory. Not complaining, love this lady!

Roscobbc

There are other things that can cause braking issues like you experienced. Condition of individual brake components related to each wheel is important. A partially seized caliper on the rear end is easy to overlook. Even a dodgy damper can cause potential braking issues.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
700R4 if Auto or Tremec 5 speed if a manual will save the fuel and revs if you do a fair few miles and can help pay for itself over time

Moliere

Busy user
When I get the four poster up, I will go over her. Been away from cars too long/divorce. Thank you again.
I only wanted a manual, but this car came up so I went ahead. To convert her to manual is desirable however getting all the parts probably would make it an uneconomical conversion. Will look into the 700R4?
I desired to take her to Southern France at least once in my life time. Things may have changed that now, as for most of us.
Any way thank you all.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
No European Tyres available I believe, well certainly not for my wider size on a C3 - non US you have Avon, but in my view (unless they have brought out something new in the size) not the best tread pattern for wet weather and anyway Avon I believe have been taken over by Cooper.

Nothing wrong with Cooper Cobras I have used them for decades ever since I could no longer get the Pirelli P7s - Wet weather they are great, the wider the tyre the greater the propensity to aquaplane, my fronts and rears are 295s and wet grip is more important to me than any other facet of tyre performance - Plus they are M & S and so a softer compound for dry grip and a bonus re age hardening.

What you may have experienced is the front sliding because the wheels were locked up and there was camber on the road or the steering wheel was not dead centre which can be scary at speed as it is not an experience you usually come across as most modern cars have ABS

If you lock the wheels in the Wet at speed on a C3 - YOU ARE GOING TO SLIDE - usually even a flat looking road has camber

Do NOT lock the Brakes - "If you are hairing it in the wet and need rapid braking, you need to pump the brake pedal at the same speed your heart is pumping"
Ah ! the noble of art of cadence braking as expounded by the great rally drivers of the 1960`s (y) No such thing as ABS , Traction control et al back then ! And learning to drive in my dads 1954 Moggy Minor certainly taught you mechanical empathy and antisipation of the laws of physics :cautious: