What is the latest on European tyres for our C3’s

Moliere

Busy user
Sorry, I HAD to stop the film, I am feeling quite sick now. Please ban such films, please.......please. I am going to have night mares. I will never see a Corvette C3 in the same light.......or is it, height?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
To the question of tyres etc, I'm a bit late to the scene, but my Corvette came from the states with BFG Goodrich tyres on the standard 15 inch for my 1968 Vette. They just felt horrid and I wanted to replace them with modern tyres. Looked around and found that modern tyres available in the UK easily just didn't really exist as most seemed to be for off-roaders.

So I did the only thing I could do, buy a new set of 17 inch alloys (American Racing) and tyres (Toyo Proxies - can't remember the size off the top of my head) - as pictured in my avatar. :D

Roscobbc

I have 18" Toyo Proxes on mine - OK so a fair bit wider on rear end at 285mm (but not wide enough for aquaplaning issues) - the dry and wet grip were significantly improved at the cost of road noise and ride harshness on poor road surfaces at lower speeds - they do bang and crash about compared with stock tyres. 40mph + on 'A' roads and motorways is fine. You also have the added benefit of improved braking (from the better tyres) and far better traction from the increased contact area of the tyre. Not forgetting too improved directional handling from the rigidity of low profile rubber - you loose all that typical American 'floaty' feeling. No doubt for some that's unacceptable though......

Moliere

Busy user
Interesting, thank you Ros....I am sure others too will find this helpful.
What about speedo readings guys, on the 17 inch and 18 inch with low profiles? I assume a similar overall radius to the original set up? Or not?

Roscobbc

Interesting, thank you Ros....I am sure others too will find this helpful.
What about speedo readings guys, on the 17 inch and 18 inch with low profiles? I assume a similar overall radius to the original set up? Or not?
Calculate your tyre diameter to match OEM sizes and no changes will be required - in my case the OEM sized equivalent (I think) would be 215/70/15) at something like 27" diameter. The 285/40/18 rear and 255/45/18 front's are really close to original tyre fitment diameter. Calculation is 285mm divided by 25.4 = 11.22" - divide this by 100 - then multiply this answer by 40 (to get aspect ratio) - then double that figure and add 18" to get overall diameter (26.97")

Last edited:

Moliere

Busy user
Emmm, maths has never been my best subject. Thank you none the less. OK, well now we all know, modern tyres can be used.
Question answered. Hope it helps others. A big thank you to all involved.
Now what was that other question.........
Happy and safe Vetteing.