What is the latest on European tyres for our C3’s

Moliere

Busy user
Yes, but he keeps on staring at me in some kind of shock! have no idea who he is, I do not recognise him? Funny, my dear old Mother told me the same thing years back.

Moliere

Busy user
Could be, I used to know a guy who was happily married, a little younger than the guy in the Mirror. Thought he had his life mapped out with this lovely lady from his teens. 41 years married to her then she drops a bomb shell on him. Guess it took it out him some how. He is not the same person.
Hold on! on........reflection..........that guy is me!

kentvette

CCCUK Member
By European tyres do you mean European manufactured or European compliant?
........A quick look-up and it appears Cooper Cobras also have an EU label. BF Goodridge Radial T/A's don't, therefore can only be fitted to pre-1990 cars, so okay for a C3.
BF Goodridge obviously unknown rating by this classification..........

BFG's do in fact have an EU label, hence they are on my '78 and fully compliant here. They are part of the Michelin organisation by the way. Absolutely no issues with BFGs in my 30 years and almost 100k miles of use, in ALL weathers! I wouldn't have a tyre with "Cobra" on it on principle!

Moliere

Busy user
Just simply suited to the UK And France!,ha! My Harley came with the HD tyres. What a difference it made changing to Metzlers! (If I spelt that right?) I was hoping to do the same with the C3. Thank you for the info, I will look into that. All helpful on here, appreciated.
A manual conversion is now nagging at me.

Roscobbc

Too extreme and expensive for many there is the option of going aftermarket and larger diameter. Mine are 18's and 255/45/18 front - 285/40/18 rear. At the expense of some lower speed ride comfort I now have what is almost the equivalent (in cornering, traction and to a degree braking terms) of a suspension transplant.

Roscobbc

A fair number of wider section brands are available in 18's. My logic was to select sizes relating to sizes currently in use by vehicles at that time - so TVR front (255/45/18) and supercharged Jag XKR (or Maserati I think) on rear (so 285/40/18) both sets were Toyo Proxes. Kinda dropped a ricket as a few year on and TVR don't exist any more (although other cars still use this size) - the 285 is difficult to source and over £300 now! - 275/40's are far more commonplace and you can get street legal track day tyres in this size. The 285/40 (as is 255/45) the same diameter as stock C3 fitment - 275 is a bit 'shallow'

Roscobbc

Sorry its a bit long winded - seems to me that older tyres are at risk from unavailability (and oddly, so are some newer tyres!)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
BFG's do in fact have an EU label, hence they are on my '78 and fully compliant here. They are part of the Michelin organisation by the way. Absolutely no issues with BFGs in my 30 years and almost 100k miles of use, in ALL weathers! I wouldn't have a tyre with "Cobra" on it on principle!
I don't doubt the high quality of the BFG and appreciate they're a great choice for originality, but I'm curious about the EU label. On BFG's own website it says "Radial T/A is not submitted to labelling regulation" and on retailers websites some say "label exempt". I couldn't find one.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Correct me if I`m wrong but I think they are manufactured in Mexico now . Not that that should make any difference , at least it`s ****** China !!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If a tyre is designed specifically for cars made before 1990 it doesn’t need an E mark to be sold in Europe/UK.

A lot of Avon, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli and Blockley historic tyres aren’t E marked

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Gordon Bennett !

Now I know why they are called Tyres - I think what we have been doing is Tyreing

To make it simple - just ask for a set of 15" Rounds

Roscobbc

15" tyres are no good - just find a set of 24"+ diameter 'Donk' tyres and start a UK trend - be the source of envy (or subject of derision) with all your friends - make new enemies
url
maxresdefault.jpg

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
What a Herbert
Pink Discs and all - even the Sun Visor is trying to whop him
Tyre pressures must be in the 80lbs/insq to try and defeat any pot holes or the like - Body mounts will need to be Marsh Mallows and if he has not got Strutt Rods, God help him at the rear where a normal C3 relies on 150mm of tyre wall for part of the suspension.