72 Corvette - Restoration Updates

TimP

CCCUK Member
I hope everyone has had a good Christmas. Like most of the country the weather down South has been pretty poor and the idea of grubbing around on the garage floor working on the birdcage whilst it's hacking down with rain hasn't been too attractive. So... until it improves I have retreated to the workshop where at least it is dry, there is a small heater and I can work on something that will need to be done before the car gets back on the road. Here is my steering column - it doesn't tilt or telescope and I'm not sure it even steers at the moment but here goes....

It's a little corroded (oh really?) and needs a little TLC.....

Column 1.JPG Column 2.JPG

The horn button is broken... they are about £90 for a new one (together with the rest of the horn push assembly). I think I can be innovative on this for a little less.....more on that in a future update.
Column 3.JPG

The top cover came off with a puller I had to make....
Column 4.JPG

.....and the steering lock daisy wheel came off with a 'pusher' which also had to be fabricated. It actually worked a lot better than it looks.
Column 5.JPG
There's an evil little c-clip that needs to be removed before the lock wheel can be removed - you can just see it in the pic above. I think I took longer to take this off than the rest of the bits put together. I think it's been going to be easier putting it back on again but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

More to come on this but I do have a question.....
The steering wheel has come up quite nicely with a bit of matt black paint on the spokes and a little furniture care product on the leather rim although I am going to treat it to a leather restorer to bring back the colour or at least make the shade a bit more consistent all over.
Column 6.JPG Column 7.JPG

As an aside...... I was a little surprised to remove an old label to see 'Made in France' stamped into one of the spokes.

Most of the '72's I have seen have slotted chrome spokes on the wheel so is this an alternate design, a wheel from a later model (I think it might be), from another car or an aftermarket item? Can anyone help on this?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I hope everyone has had a good Christmas. Like most of the country the weather down South has been pretty poor and the idea of grubbing around on the garage floor working on the birdcage whilst it's hacking down with rain hasn't been too attractive. So... until it improves I have retreated to the workshop where at least it is dry, there is a small heater and I can work on something that will need to be done before the car gets back on the road. Here is my steering column - it doesn't tilt or telescope and I'm not sure it even steers at the moment but here goes....

It's a little corroded (oh really?) and needs a little TLC.....

View attachment 14777 View attachment 14778

The horn button is broken... they are about £90 for a new one (together with the rest of the horn push assembly). I think I can be innovative on this for a little less.....more on that in a future update.
View attachment 14779

The top cover came off with a puller I had to make....
View attachment 14780

.....and the steering lock daisy wheel came off with a 'pusher' which also had to be fabricated. It actually worked a lot better than it looks.
View attachment 14781
There's an evil little c-clip that needs to be removed before the lock wheel can be removed - you can just see it in the pic above. I think I took longer to take this off than the rest of the bits put together. I think it's been going to be easier putting it back on again but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

More to come on this but I do have a question.....
The steering wheel has come up quite nicely with a bit of matt black paint on the spokes and a little furniture care product on the leather rim although I am going to treat it to a leather restorer to bring back the colour or at least make the shade a bit more consistent all over.
View attachment 14782 View attachment 14783

As an aside...... I was a little surprised to remove an old label to see 'Made in France' stamped into one of the spokes.

Most of the '72's I have seen have slotted chrome spokes on the wheel so is this an alternate design, a wheel from a later model (I think it might be), from another car or an aftermarket item? Can anyone help on this?
Nice work tim, that wheel looks smaller diameter with a thicker rim than the one on my 72. Maybe a later one but funny from france as you say.

Attachments

• B967732B-D718-47C5-8ACD-A4CB74AD4654.jpeg
    B967732B-D718-47C5-8ACD-A4CB74AD4654.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 7

johng

CCCUK Member
Your steering wheel looks very similar the one that came on my 78, but mine doesn't have anything stamped on the back.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Nice work tim, that wheel looks smaller diameter with a thicker rim than the one on my 72. Maybe a later one but funny from france as you say.
Thanks for the pic. I think I will find an original chrome spoke wheel once the car is back on the road. I quite like the one I have got but I think the chrome ones look really nice.

TimP

CCCUK Member
I’ve got a hornpush somewhere I think. It’s not great but it is in one piece.
Most excellent - have you got a picture? I'm going to try and make a new one over the next week or so but if you have one spare that could be really good too.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep

Surely the steering wheel is an aftermarket fitment if it is French made?
I would have thought just about everything on a C3 is actually made in the USA, but it’s a good question.
Later Corvettes might have quite a few imported components I would imagine.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Surely the steering wheel is an aftermarket fitment if it is French made?
I would have thought just about everything on a C3 is actually made in the USA, but it’s a good question.
Later Corvettes might have quite a few imported components I would imagine.
Looking in to this further I think the wheel is from a '77 with the spokes painted black. I watched a youtube video of somebody replacing the horn switch contact on their '77 and the wheel is the same apart from the spokes which on mine have been painted black....

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Looking in to this further I think the wheel is from a '77 with the spokes painted black. I watched a youtube video of somebody replacing the horn switch contact on their '77 and the wheel is the same apart from the spokes which on mine have been painted black....
Take a look at this link to an article about Lecarra steering wheels - originally made in France. This is likely what you have, but I’m still thinking it might be aftermarket.

You can still get them for a Corvette, now made in USA

Last edited:

TimP

CCCUK Member
Take a look at this link to an article about Lecarra steering wheels - originally made in France. This is likely what you have, but I’m still thinking it might be aftermarket.

You can still get them for a Corvette, now made in USA
I think you've got this spot on! (y) I have read the articles above and checked the pictures and dimensions - and everything tallies. Another website says that the Made-in-France Lecarra wheels have this stamped on the back of the spokes, which also fits perfectly. Many thanks - mystery solved!👍👍

TimP

CCCUK Member
As I mentioned in an earlier post I thought I would try and fabricate a new horn bush as the old centre was in 4 pieces...

Column 3.JPG
Yes, they are available as a complete unit but I wondered if this could be fixed in a different way - at least for the time being, and it might be fun trying. So whilst the weather outside was the wrong side of miserable I retired to the workshop and set about creating a new one.

First I printed off a suitable logo that I found on the internet and printed it off on glossy photo paper. The two 'ears' are there because I need to cover up a white hole that was (some unknown reason) in the middle of the logo and the two corners of the black rectangle stuck out the top.
Column 8.JPG
Then by scouring the house I found a suitable mould of the right diameter to cast the new horn centre in. This is the plastic top to an Illy coffee tin which is correct to the millimeter, flexible (so the moulding pops out easily) and made out of polypropylene and the resin won't stick to it. Perfect!
Column 9.JPG

Then mix and pour in the resin - I am using a GlassCast 3 resin from Easy Composites for this - and then swear and stamp feet and be generally disagreeable as the resin is full of bubbles....
Column 12b.JPG

But don't worry! This resin is self degassing and after 36 hours it has cured quite nicely. Not perfect but Ok for this purpose. There quite a lot of tiny bubbles if you look closely but if my head gets that close to the horn button when driving my car a few bubbles in the resin will be the least of my problems.
Column 12.JPG
After drilling three holes to fit in the metal horn ring and stacking it together with a cleaned up steering wheel (using a red leather restorer from Furniture
Clinic) and a freshly painted boss looks quite presentable.
Column 15.JPG

.... and a bit better than it was before anyway.
Column 1.JPG

The weather seems to be a lot better the last couple of days so the funs over and its back to the garage and more birdcage bliss... Sort of.:)

Attachments

• Column 14.JPG
    Column 14.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 6

johng

CCCUK Member
That looks really good Tim. The resin obviously goes over the top of the paper, does it also go underneath? If not how did you drill the holes without it showing, or are they right near the edge?

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi John, Thanks! Yes some of the resin goes underneath but some of the photo paper is still exposed so I will lacquer ity before putting it all back together.

The three rivets that hold the centre disc on don't seem to have a regular shape - they are not equally spaced around the disc but they are tucked out of sight once assembled. See pic below
Column 16.JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
As I mentioned in an earlier post I thought I would try and fabricate a new horn bush as the old centre was in 4 pieces...

View attachment 15030
Yes, they are available as a complete unit but I wondered if this could be fixed in a different way - at least for the time being, and it might be fun trying. So whilst the weather outside was the wrong side of miserable I retired to the workshop and set about creating a new one.

First I printed off a suitable logo that I found on the internet and printed it off on glossy photo paper. The two 'ears' are there because I need to cover up a white hole that was (some unknown reason) in the middle of the logo and the two corners of the black rectangle stuck out the top.
View attachment 15031
Then by scouring the house I found a suitable mould of the right diameter to cast the new horn centre in. This is the plastic top to an Illy coffee tin which is correct to the millimeter, flexible (so the moulding pops out easily) and made out of polypropylene and the resin won't stick to it. Perfect!
View attachment 15036

Then mix and pour in the resin - I am using a GlassCast 3 resin from Easy Composites for this - and then swear and stamp feet and be generally disagreeable as the resin is full of bubbles....
View attachment 15033

But don't worry! This resin is self degassing and after 36 hours it has cured quite nicely. Not perfect but Ok for this purpose. There quite a lot of tiny bubbles if you look closely but if my head gets that close to the horn button when driving my car a few bubbles in the resin will be the least of my problems.
View attachment 15032
After drilling three holes to fit in the metal horn ring and stacking it together with a cleaned up steering wheel (using a red leather restorer from Furniture
Clinic) and a freshly painted boss looks quite presentable.
View attachment 15035

.... and a bit better than it was before anyway.
View attachment 15037

The weather seems to be a lot better the last couple of days so the funs over and its back to the garage and more birdcage bliss... Sort of.:)
Damned clever stuff old chap ! (y)

TimP

CCCUK Member
I have been asked a few times if I am confident that my repairs are as strong as the original. It's a very good question, not meant to be critical and certainly not taken that way. Over the months (more like years actually :rolleyes:) I have given it a lot of thought. I am a novice with Corvettes and I first started welding when I bought this car a couple of years ago. Obviously I want this car to be safe when finished so it's a question that really does need to be addressed.

To mitigate that risk (almost sounded like an ex-project manager there) I have a copy of the Factory Assembly Manual and I'm following the build instructions very carefully. Replacement parts and patches are made from as thick a replacement steel as was used in the original (if not a bit thicker due to using metric thicknesses) and I am taking time to get things right (probably about 1000 times longer than when my car was actually put together!) The bottom hinge post brace is probably a good example.

Here is the hinge post with it's boot in its 'test' position prior to its second attempt at fitment.

Birdcage brace 129.JPG

There are six holes for plug welding that I have drilled on the boot brace face where the door hinge mounts (by the 4 elongated holes). These are in the same places where the FAM says they should be.

When removing the old ones I have noticed that the production spot welds are somewhat ... ahem.. approximate. There were the 6 spot welds to be removed on the passenger side that needed to be drilled out but only one or two were close to where they should be, certainly not positioned for max strength..

Birdcage brace 79.JPG
The driver's side was a lot worse.....
Birdcage brace 128.JPG
The (only remaining) part of the boot brace that I had to remove from the driver's side hinge post came off very easily as it only had one spot weld (of the 6 specified) and one tiny dot in the middle that broke off by itself when I pulled it. Oops!

When I saw the severely corroded condition the of the lower birdcage when I removed the glassfibre I was amazed that the doors were still hanging let alone functional so I think GM's engineers must have included a generous safety margin in their stress calculations.

I think that having the plug welds in the right place and in the right quantity, and with the right amount of care I should be able to match the original integrity. Having had to remove the hinge post that I had so carefully welded in place before Christmas (oh yes :cry: - more on that in a later post) I can say that the plug welds I did were everything I hoped they would be - a mixed blessing when you need to remove them, but good to know nevertheless. With a decent paint finish on top it should last a whole lot longer too.

I have spent the last two months trying to fit the lower windscreen frame (.... about 1000 times longer than when my car was actually put together is probably an understatement) which ... TaDaaaaaa ...I have now finished. I hope to write post on this soon.....