Bangers & Cash 1977 Saudi Corvette JNH 820T

Corvette

Well-known user
The previous owner of the white 69BB I posted earlier has sent me the link of Clarkson racing against it at York way back in 1992. Fast forward to 5m 6 seconds.

funchi

Well-known user
Corvette so Clarkson was just as annoying back then.

Good how you were able to update your previous post re MHX 59L

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The previous owner of the white 69BB I posted earlier has sent me the link of Clarkson racing against it at York way back in 1992. Fast forward to 5m 6 seconds.

I used to have the Typhoon, you had to drive it slow to drive it quick, you gave it some gas the Turbo came in and you were hitting the Rev limiter, not exactly nimble on tight corners at speed, but then 4 wheel drive, it was good fun.

I bought it privately, it was HPI clear, but soon found it had been repaired and subject to a total loss claim, it was before the internet and HPI relied on scripts over the telephone and then the contractual agreement followed in the post, I knew they would wrangle on what was said on the phone, so before I made them aware, I got a PI to pose as a prospective purchaser and HPI the vehicle, they gave it the all clear, the phone call was taped - they went all the way to the day before the Court Hearing before they caved in, they told my Solicitor the only reason they were paying was because of the tape, I was fortunate, how lucky was I not to lose what I had paid out - A lesson learned, no matter how good it looks, put it on the ramp before you buy it!

funchi

Well-known user
Here is a real challenge does anyone recognise the white Corvette, it could be the first Corvette I photographed. The location is Goodmayes Essex and I think it could have been Alloa Rd.

The Red Corvette belonged to someone I went to school with Dave. These photo were taken in Betterton Rd Rainham Essex.

77.jpg78.jpg79.jpg80.jpg

Last edited:
V

Vetteheadtony

Yes Tony, that is exactly as I remembered them being named, "Saratoga" but when I was Googling I got "Moon Roofs", I think they were both Brand Names - Moon Roofs contracted with GM under licence, but later fell out of agreement - Saratoga always went their own route of supplying their after market tops to the end user and not via GM
Had a set on that 76 I bought over from the states and they are now on Paul’s yellow 76 at our Essex meet. The Vette from the film “The Hot One” with Mark Hamill had a set, very rare and I actually think they look and fit better than GM ones

funchi

Well-known user
Some early photos from the eighties, and Sratchwood Services, hope they jog some memories.

81.jpg82.jpg83.jpg

84.jpg

Bethnal Green you can see my company Transit in the back ground.

87.jpg

Roscobbc

That Cadi sedan - is it a '48 flatehead? with an unusual history? - if so I might have had that for a while.......it went to Holland in the end(if the same car)

Daytona Vette

Well-known user

funchi

Well-known user
Hi Rosoco (y) this is a guess, the photo could have been taken in Chadwell Heath or Goodmayes or not to far away, I only passed the house so did not know the owner.

Last edited:

funchi

Well-known user
I am extremely embarrassed to say I can’t remember the name of the owner of this beautiful C2 Corvette.
The photos were taken outside my first house.

DaytonaVette (y) yes I agree the white wall tyres and wheels do look good. I did not keep in touch with Dave when we left school.

Yet another coincidence Dave actually lived of the road where my first house was, and where the photos of the beautiful blue C2 Corvette were taken.
I only found out by passing his house which had an American car on his drive and we got talking, it could have been a Camaro or Mustang, but to long ago to remember, Dave moved to Rainham Essex where you can see his lovely red C3 Corvette.

91.jpg92.jpg93.jpg

Last edited:

funchi

Well-known user
I did not know the owner of these two lovely Corvettes but I did speak to him once.

If my memory is correct he is a successful hairdresser, I think the 1980 Corvette photo was taken at the rear of his hairdressers shop, and the C4 taken in Emerson Park Essex.

He must be a real petrol head as his registration TAV 6 is now on a 2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

94.jpg95.jpg96.jpg

Roscobbc

I did not know the owner of these two lovely Corvettes but I did speak to him once.

If my memory is correct he is a successful hairdresser, I think the 1980 Corvette photo was taken at the rear of his hairdressers shop, and the C4 taken in Emerson Park Essex.

He must be a real petrol head as his registration TAV 6 is now on a 2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

View attachment 5288View attachment 5289View attachment 5290
That's Trevor Vale - he's not in to Vette's any more - moved near Tylers Common on the outskirts of Upminster - he occasionally would pop in to the Red Lion on club nights in his DBS......

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Lendrum and Hartman (in Hammersmith). Anyone remember that name? GM authorised dealer for US models including Corvette. Still on the go in 1978 according to this ad for their brochure?

Attachments

• lendrum and hartman 1.jpg
    lendrum and hartman 1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 5
  • lendrum and hartman 2.jpg
    lendrum and hartman 2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 5