C3 Race Car Build

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
10” at the rear, 8.5” at the front and 295 50r15 and 275 55r15 tyres.

The car looks more and more stunning every time you post an update Oneball . It `s a real beauty and amazing workmanship . (y)
I feel a Top Trumps coming on for the C3 Forum ! How about 12 x 15 rear & 10 x 15 front running on 295 / 50 `s and 275 / 55 `s for starters . DSCF9440.JPG

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Yes great credit to Oneball the race car gets better and better, a lot of attention to detail and doing it all correct, I hear he is a better race car driver than a race car builder - so the best is yet to come from Oneball.
How about 10.5 front 12.0 rear and 295 50 15s all round Chuffer!
IMG_9080 (3).JPG

Roscobbc

Wouldn't 12" rear wheels present clearance issues for Oneball (despite the flares?) - not too sure for race use but the old tried and tested tyre/wheel sizing for road going 15" wheel/tyre combo's (and to help prevent wheel damage against kerbs) was wheel width plus 1" 'overlap' each side of the wheel - using that theory a 295 section tyre would be correct for a 10" rim and 255 correct for 8" rim - however the increased side wall strength of a lower profile tyre will allow use of additional width tyre on same size rim (Oneball do you use the same sizing reference for race use?) - using that same theory a 12" wide wheel ideally should use a 355 section tyre (if available) - other wise this may happen - (albeit extreme!)
1453369970_FZNq.jpg

s2vuinb1jep01.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes great credit to Oneball the race car gets better and better, a lot of attention to detail and doing it all correct, I hear he is a better race car driver than a race car builder - so the best is yet to come from Oneball.
How about 10.5 front 12.0 rear and 295 50 15s all round Chuffer!
View attachment 10266

BUGGER !! An extra half inch makes all the difference ! :ROFLMAO: You are the Top Trump champ so far . So beat that someone !
No drag strip cars are allowed - must be street legal .

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Equivalency table
Rim widthMinimum tyre widthMaximum tyre width
11,0 Inches275 mm305 mm
11,5 Inches285 mm315 mm
12,0 Inches295 mm325 mm
12,5 Inches305 mm335 mm

Roscobbc

Equivalency table
Rim widthMinimum tyre widthMaximum tyre width
11,0 Inches275 mm305 mm
11,5 Inches285 mm315 mm
12,0 Inches295 mm325 mm
12,5 Inches305 mm335 mm
Those tyre recommendations are generally applicable to larger diameter 18", 19", 20"+ wheels where even the OEM tyre fitment will be closer to the rim width than perhaps higher profile tyres.
The real issue for earlier Vette's with OEM sized wheels (and particularly C3 owners) is the lack of suitable speed rated tyres. With seemingly only one brand (Galaxy) that has the speed rating suitable for some of the faster Corvettes many owners will still want to stick with BFG's and Cobra's
This thread has made me wonder how wide a tyre I can fit to my 1948 MG - rim width is 2.5"..........:unsure:;)
I think you need to make an exploratory visit to your local bicycle shop.......

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I am mindful that we (me included) are side tracking Oneball's Race car Thread, the sooner we get back on track the sooner Oneball can get out on theTrack!

Can't wait for the Start up!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The thread drift isn’t a problem

10 inch is the normal wheel size for the rear. Some people also run 9.5 or 10 on the front. But the extra grip I guess is balance by extra drag.

As for tyre sizes the manufacturers list optimum tyre and rim combinations so that’s what I’ve used to come up with the sizes. It’s a pretty normal combo same as GT40s

Oneball

CCCUK Member
This thread has made me wonder how wide a tyre I can fit to my 1948 MG - rim width is 2.5"..........:unsure:;)

MG TC?

Ignition box in place
BFAD3D19-2FC7-4C41-9DAC-DD35F751976F.jpeg

Trying to work out best plan for an expansion tank. Can’t use the standard item as it has too many holes and mine was naff anyway. So either need a C2 type with the one bottom inlet or go for an aftermarket one. The top of the cooling system is actually higher than the standard position, marked by the masking tape on the firewall

D383BCBD-D19C-4AC0-A81B-42F9BA73708E.jpeg

antijam

CCCUK Member
Right first time Tim! I don't want to take the thread any further from your build but there is a tenuous connection with Corvettes. US servicemen returning home after the war (WW2) with 'T'-Type MG's provoked awareness in the States that cars could be fun and not just transport, leading directly to the creation of the first Corvette.
This is my TC.....

1-P1320209-002.JPG

In the piccie it's actually wearing big fat (ha-ha) 5.25 - 16 tyres rather than the standard 4.50 - 19's (on the 2.5"rims). Improbable as it may seem, given the diminutive 1250cc four pot engine....

1-P1320215.JPG

.....this is to avoid wheelspin with 'vigorous' driving. The car weighs very little and the long stroke engine produces lots of torque so pulling away cleanly needs more rubber on the road!

Sorry for the diversion - along with the rest of the forum I'm gagging to see the completion of your build! :D

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That’s a lovely looking TC. Do like the colour not your normal red or green.

Do fancy something of that era or earlier. My mate who’ll be sharing the driving with the Vette in 2 driver races, races a supercharged Austin 7 that was built by his friend John Miles.

D6FE94D6-37B9-41F7-BCD8-45A2D0206DD2.jpeg

John sadly died a couple of years ago, this is when he was at Lotus

16CAC537-5B45-491A-BD51-DA08BBAE4785.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Right first time Tim! I don't want to take the thread any further from your build but there is a tenuous connection with Corvettes. US servicemen returning home after the war (WW2) with 'T'-Type MG's provoked awareness in the States that cars could be fun and not just transport, leading directly to the creation of the first Corvette.
This is my TC.....

View attachment 10279

In the piccie it's actually wearing big fat (ha-ha) 5.25 - 16 tyres rather than the standard 4.50 - 19's (on the 2.5"rims). Improbable as it may seem, given the diminutive 1250cc four pot engine....

View attachment 10278

.....this is to avoid wheelspin with 'vigorous' driving. The car weighs very little and the long stroke engine produces lots of torque so pulling away cleanly needs more rubber on the road!

Sorry for the diversion - along with the rest of the forum I'm gagging to see the completion of your build! :D

Absolutely gorgeous (y) Those were the days when Britain built great cars !