C3 Race Car Build

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Would love to live in canada but all my family is here.
Not with all that bloody snow. Got lots of friends ( snowbirds) in Canada. OK in summer but once that snow comes they are off to FL.
I remember once talking to a Canadian lady at our local market. It was mid April and she had just spoken to her son back in Canada. We were outside talking in 85degree heat and she said her son said the snow was 3 feet outside the house.
Brrrr šŸ„¶šŸ„¶šŸ„¶šŸ„¶ I thought standing there shirtless in my shorts. She said she wasnā€™t going back until it had all gone. Didnā€™t blame her either.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Not with all that bloody snow. Got lots of friends ( snowbirds) in Canada. OK in summer but once that snow comes they are off to FL.
I remember once talking to a Canadian lady at our local market. It was mid April and she had just spoken to her son back in Canada. We were outside talking in 85degree heat and she said her son said the snow was 3 feet outside the house.
Brrrr šŸ„¶šŸ„¶šŸ„¶šŸ„¶ I thought standing there shirtless in my shorts. She said she wasnā€™t going back until it had all gone. Didnā€™t blame her either.
I stayed with some friends of a friend in Phoenix. Theyā€™d moved there for the warm climate as heā€™d got joint problems in cold weather after ejecting from an F4. Only thing is, itā€™s so hot in Phoenix they never went anywhere that didnā€™t have AC, even the local baseball stadium is all enclosed and air conditioned!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I stayed with some friends of a friend in Phoenix. Theyā€™d moved there for the warm climate as heā€™d got joint problems in cold weather after ejecting from an F4. Only thing is, itā€™s so hot in Phoenix they never went anywhere that didnā€™t have AC, even the local baseball stadium is all enclosed and air conditioned!
Totally agree. Some of the Desert states are just Too hot, and as you say you canā€™t go outside. No point in a convertible there, canā€™t really use it top down until the winter months I assume.
the southern states are the nicest for top down driving for most of the year.

always loved F4ā€™s a fantastic plane that could take a lot of damage and still perform well. The ā€œbig uglyā€ as it was fondly called did like a drink tho, bit like a BB corvette. šŸ˜‚

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I got a second degree burn from leaning on a red brick wall in Phoenix! šŸ¤ šŸ™ˆ

We arrived at the venue at night & pulled in & when we woke, the venue was nicely air conditioned.

When I ventured out, I leaned on the wall to call down to a fellow crew mate below & I burnt myself, I then discovered it was 111f / 44c outside. šŸ„µ

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Would love to live in canada but all my family is here.
Canada is the only country I ever fealt inclined to emigrate to . If I had been 10 years or more younger when I first went there I would probably be living there now . They were crying out for engineers back then . Amazing country with proper weather . Hot in summer and damned cold in winter with lots of snow , not like the UK where one season is much like the other these days . The Canadians are great people and more proud of any British heritage they can lay claim to than we are in the |UK since the PC brigade outlawed having a sence of pride in true English heritage . The wilderness of the Rockies is my kinda country too . Big country and far less people .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Finally got to the bottom of the fluctuating temp. Gauge would go from 160 to 230f and back constantly. Would never spit coolant out but something wasnā€™t right. Eventually gave up trying to figure out what it was an decided to through some parts at it. First thing was to change the thermostat. Itā€™d got a high flow one with bypass holes in it. It was new when I built the engine and Iā€™d tested it previously. So I got on old one that had been lying at the bottom of the parts tub for years, tested it, drilled 4 bypass holes in it and stuck it in. What do you know cooling is now perfect, maybe too many bypass holes as it sits about 160-170 but working fine. I canā€™t explain why change from the one pictured below to a normal type makes a difference unless it was causing some sort of air/steam lock being a different shape.

High flow one that was in there:
606ED967-8466-44F1-8724-D6E836F515FC.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Fluids and tappets all checked, no real change so fingers crossed cam is run in ok.
C897F756-BE43-417F-810E-8A5932F1ABE8.jpeg
Canā€™t get to the bottom of stalling under heavy braking. Thereā€™s a lot of fuel around the carb mouth, but itā€™s not coming out the float vents so I can only assume itā€™s coming out the air bleeds. Fuel level is below the sight plug so not sure what to do now.

Roscobbc

Firstly have you put a spirit level on the milled pad on the inlet manifold. If 'pad' isn't level float settings will be out of wack.
Are you using 'snorkels' on the float bowl vents? - if not it could explain fuel levels within float bowl 'welling-up' and flooding engine under heavy braking/acceleration.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Firstly have you put a spirit level on the milled pad on the inlet manifold. If 'pad' isn't level float settings will be out of wack.
Are you using 'snorkels' on the float bowl vents? - if not it could explain fuel levels within float bowl 'welling-up' and flooding engine under heavy braking/acceleration.

Itā€™s got vent whistles in the carb.

Iā€™ll look at the level. But I thought theyā€™re supposed to be angled slightly down at the front?

Roscobbc

Itā€™s got vent whistles in the carb.

Iā€™ll look at the level. But I thought theyā€™re supposed to be angled slightly down at the front?
'Whistles' is what I meant, sorry. Unless carb is 100% level any float levels you set, (especially secondary) will be incorrect. Presuming the carb slopes 'forward' you simply reduce float level (by trial and error) on primaries and increase the level on secondaries.........or machine carb pad level.......or use angled carb spacer.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Iā€™ve fiddled with the levels, full story:

If I do an emergency stop from say 20 mph it stalls and is difficult to restart.

Iā€™ve disconnected the brake servo and it doesnā€™t make a difference.

It does it in gear and out of gear, so not clutch.

I raised the float levels above normal and it didnā€™t make a difference.

If you look at the carb mouth after itā€™s stalled and without doing anything else itā€™s wet with petrol. I lowered the floats to below normal and it made no difference. I also put two 4ā€ lengths of tube on the vents and it made no difference. The only place I can think the fuel is escaping from the air bleeds but not sure.

Roscobbc

TBH Oneball I've had all the above issues in the past - an Edelbrock Torker inlet was a big culprit - had to use a 5% angled spacer to get the carb 100% level - compensating with raising/lowering float levels was not the real answer. The other thing perhaps to consider is excessive fuel pressure.......not enough to create an issue during normal running......but sufficient perhaps to create a situation that you have described. Holley float needles IMHO are rather 'delicate' and don't take too much excess fuel pressure......what about trying next size/diameter down float needles? (restrict the incoming flow)......so many people overdo the fuel feed/fuel pump pressure etc on Holly carbs which is generally the root cause of many issues (certainly for street driven cars)