C3 Race Car Build

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you measured the depth of the pilot bearing in the flywheel, and does that match the wear marks in the end shaft ?
Is the pilot bearing seated to end meeting the end of the crank ?
Is it the correct pilot bearing and thickness for flywheel ?

Can only see what your photo quality was but do not see marks as end shaft sliding back and forth

shaft.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Have you measured the depth of the pilot bearing in the flywheel, and does that match the wear marks in the end shaft ?
Is the pilot bearing seated to end meeting the end of the crank ?
Is it the correct pilot bearing and thickness for flywheel ?

Can only see what your photo quality was but do not see marks as end shaft sliding back and forth

View attachment 17987

Haven’t measured the depth but the pilot bearing is sitting where it should be based on the recess in the crank.

The flywheel has no impact on the position of the pilot bearing in relation to the gearbox.

The line arrowed is from the o-ring in the needle roller. So the only bit of the end of the input sitting in the bearing is forward of that. 137C4E9F-9988-4CCF-A8A6-115EEFB48675.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The play I’m talking about isn’t longitudinal (in/out) it’s radial, imagine what would happen if the bearing wasn’t there. Tolerance for radial centring of the box to flywheel is 5 thou so movement at the pilot bush wouldn’t need to be great to have a similar effect is my thinking.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There was 2 different thickness of pilot bearing depending on 5.7 or 7.4L engines as seen they have different thickness
As to flywheel thickness, if thicker than stock and/or pressure plate not allowing tranny end shaft to fully seat to depth of pilot bearing
causing any play ?

Better answered when seeing the depth of end shaft meets thickness of pilot bearing depth

pilotbear.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It’s the top sort. They’re 3/4” deep.

if flywheel or clutch was an issue the gearbox wouldn’t bolt up to the bellhousing.

Last edited:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
There’s bravery racing those fabulous machines - before safety had been invented…..no roll hoop, no seatbelts.
F27884C2-03FC-4A9D-89B8-E45B5F4A8826.png

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
The later BRM next to it is interesting too. Single inboard rear disc brake hung off the back of the diff

I guess that's either the P25 or P48.

Untitled.jpg

Certainly saved some weight in the right places I guess. The LH driveshaft reflection in the body provokes a double take....:eek:
You're going to have an interesting day :),

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I guess that's either the P25 or P48.

View attachment 18162

Certainly saved some weight in the right places I guess. The LH driveshaft reflection in the body provokes a double take....:eek:
You're going to have an interesting day :),
It’s a P48, and the single rear disc was nicknamed “the bacon slicer” 🤣🤣
There was so much engineering innovation in those glory days of motor racing. Aerodynamics and down force wings were yet to come.