James Camaro?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Me to, some of them on the larger cars were massive. Then came those little glass pop up ones, remember them.
About 1978 a friend took his camaro to a firm over at Heathrow to have one fitted. ( firms that supplied/fitted them were thin on the ground in 78) when it came back we all thought it was soo cool. ( it cost a fortune to do back then)Now if you see one in a car yes it’s rare but soo naff. How styles change. Same as shag pile and crushed velvet.

Corvette

Well-known user
I love the phrase” frilly bottom”

I have a Kingavon type glass aftermarket sunroof in my garage right now. ”big deal” your thinking, it is a big deal as it’s on a C3 conv hardtop! Yuk.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
They were known as Moon Roofs if I remember correctly , so trendy in their day and a must have mod back in the day .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I love the phrase” frilly bottom”

I have a Kingavon type glass aftermarket sunroof in my garage right now. ”big deal” your thinking, it is a big deal as it’s on a C3 conv hardtop! Yuk.
Don`t be ashamed , you are so `on trend` . Just 45 years too late ! :LOL:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The factory glass roofs in GM and Fords ( mainly Cadillac and Lincoln divisions) were called Moon roofs or Astro roofs. They were power sliding sun roofs. They were quite big in size and as an option very expensive. Once the aftermarket pop up roofs arrived everybody wanted them. They did one that was split into two . Each section could be opened separately. In the day that was cool or what.

Corvette

Well-known user
I thought brits called a hole in the roof a sunroof and Americans called them Moon roofs which is the same today?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think it was Cadillac that first optioned a glass “sunroof” and called it a moonroof or Astro roof.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I guess us Brits would rather see the sun than the moon as we see so little of it ! I had a Mk 2 Toyota MR2 with a factory tilt / lift glass roof that clipped into special retainers in the front luggage compartment . Very neat .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Don`t be ashamed , you are so `on trend` . Just 45 years too late ! :LOL:
I makes you wonder “why” someone would put a sunroof into a removal hardtop.
Unless the car didn’t have a very good soft top and the then owner always drove the car with the hardtop on.
Still, in its day, he was “The man” with that sunroof

Roscobbc

this poor old coupe has just been put on eBay. Even in this sorry state, it’s still got the look.

Rust was the downfall of motors for years, you hardly ever see it nowadays. Probably due to not much metal in cars nowadays either.
View attachment 10945
Perhaps (if the car is less than 40 years old) the fact that now MOT testers are likely to knock the car back if major body rust is visible?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I makes you wonder “why” someone would put a sunroof into a removal hardtop.
Unless the car didn’t have a very good soft top and the then owner always drove the car with the hardtop on.
Probably too much faff to keep putting the hard top on and off . My Marcos came with a matching hard but never fitted once in 8 years as such a hassle as you had to completely remove the entire soft top , frame and all ! They did look smart with the hard top fitted though .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My hardtop has been on 3 times in 29 years. Bloody awkward to put on, and not much better removing it. Very easy to damage your car when doing so. I suspect the same with all hardtops.
I know 55-57 T- Birds and Mercedes SL’s are just the same. Hard to do. Once off leave off, or once on leave on.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If you wait long enough, everything comes back into fashion.
I’ve still got some platform boots somewhere.