Other classic cars

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A full size wagon was a great car. As a kid, spent a lot of time in them. Mainly Chevrolet caprices. Lovely cars. Comfortable, roomy, nice.

antijam

CCCUK Member
We have a couple of friends who with their children regularly re-enact the Griswold family capers - I use the term friends loosely. ;)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I like the Christmas vacation one. I do watch it every time it’s on. ( sad I know)
Imagine having a neighbor like him.View attachment 16886
Me too, classic comedy and you’ve got the love the ever-trying Clark.
European Vacation is good too, like when Clark gets stuck driving round and round a roundabout in London - a new experience for Clark.
The recent Vacation remake was never going to work though, they never do.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Me too, classic comedy and you’ve got the love the ever-trying Clark.
European Vacation is good too, like when Clark gets stuck driving round and round a roundabout in London - a new experience for Clark.
The recent Vacation remake was never going to work though, they never do.
About 15 years ago when they decided to revamp clearwater beach they built a really beautiful roundabout on the main approach road. It was big, had a lovely fountain in the middle, it was a real showpiece. There were so many crashes on it , it was listed as the most dangerous area for driving in the whole of Florida. The leader of the council lost his job over it, and it was revamped.
they just couldn’t work out how to use it properly. It really was a dangerous place to drive.
To a certain extent it still is pretty scary. Locals are now used to it, but the snowbirds have no idea how to use it.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I had a 1957 Chevy in the 1960s
Cool looking but was a pig as engine would not even turn over in the winter temps of Chicago
Had to install a heater for engine block to prevent coolant and oil freezing up

57chevy.jpg57chevyb.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You know your old when a MK1 VW Golf is now referred to as a classic car and has a price tag to match. You can remember them when they were a new modern car.5FF3198F-F2B1-4046-951C-FE782438F1F8.jpeg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Real classic
Wonder what the fuel mileage was and notice how big the steering wheel is and in the center, maybe get nose bleeds up there :)

parade_of_progress1.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Very interesting what could be done without electronics or computers in 1949
What HOOT, 125 HP, look at the size of them in 1949

General Motors's Transportation Unlimited exhibition was its first post-World War II auto show and was the precursor to its traveling Motorama
exhibitions.
The show was staged first in New York City and again three months later in Detroit.
Transportation Unlimited grew from interest within GM's executive ranks to preview the company's newest innovations to consumers in order to gauge public interest.
The New York City show opened on January 20, 1949, at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and ran for eight days, closing on January 27, 1949.
More than 300,000 people visited it during its run at the Waldorf and were treated to elaborate displays of 32 production and custom vehicles from each of GM's five car divisions.

Last edited:

TimP

CCCUK Member
Here's my Opel Monza which I had in the nineties. A terrific car which I did 40000 odd faultless miles around the M25 in over 2-3 years travelling from Bracknell to Luton Airport every day. It was a terrific daily driver, very relaxing and fun to drive. The stock exhaust was deliberately constructed to make the straight six sound like the dugga dugga of a V8 - and was surprisingly effective. My favourite moment in it was going home on a very snowy night up the long incline of Ascot High Street with a 3-litre Capri in front - the only two cars stupid enough to be out in that weather. Both highly inept vehicles in snow (no traction control or ABS, just a delicate right foot - and sometimes not - Ha!) , snaking up the road was challenging and hilarious in equal measures. Brilliant.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpeg
    IMG_3564.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 4

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Gaining “classic” status now. They did them in some lovely metallic colours. I particularly liked the Green and blue ones.