Other classic cars

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
And......amazingly the general 'mindset' with most people was that they were horrible atrocities that no one wanted. Didn't they drive fantastic though if looked after properly.....and some of the optional interior fabrics were such high quality.
So true. They just glided along with the occupants seated in luxury surroundings. A trip from say NY to FL would have been fantastic, apart from the fuel costs, but back then nobody cared what it did to the gallon. You didn’t ask, and you didn’t care. You just put it in.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Back then you didn't have to dread a fuel stop, it was probably fun to top up on cheap snacks. Sad how expensive everything is now.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It looked even worse in its beige Mercury Grand Marquis Country Park-esqe guise
Dad always kept an estate as a personal car as we had large dogs when growing up. Mainly Chevrolets, but in the 70’s had a couple Mercury Colony parks. Beautiful cars top of the range. Loved um.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Dad always kept an estate as a personal car as we had large dogs when growing up. Mainly Chevrolets, but in the 70’s had a couple Mercury Colony parks. Beautiful cars top of the range. Loved um.

I’m thinking of the mid 80s version. 26A1DFA6-6064-48A0-A77C-FFE6E15A8089.jpeg
1BBEB354-12B1-43E7-AA1B-858703CCDC22.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Our 78 colony park was a monster. With those hideaways it looked great. It was white with the wood panelling and black tints. Same as the one Janet Leigh drove in the film “The Fog”

James Vette

CCCUK Member
You can buy newly built but classic looking mustangs from revology cars so I wonder if other classic car brands will allow them to be built again?

antijam

CCCUK Member
No no no, it’s the wood panelling that makes them so American. They are “plain Jane” without it.
Indeed - the 'Woody' both real and fake is an Americon icon - some worked better than others though....43742_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
...the wood on this '49 Packard has the look of a definite afterthought. (perhaps they had some old pallets to get rid of?) :unsure:(n)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s why I like the wood skin that was the norm for 60’s 70’s 80’s and even the 90’s Buicks, olds and Chevy last generation station wagons. It wasn’t bulky or looked like a plank of wood. It flowed with the car, and looked good

I watched the guys at Rambler ( AMC) fit a complete set to a ambassador station wagon that Dad bought off them. It didn’t have it on, they fitted it FOC as part of the deal. They were closing their Acton premises and wanted everything gone, he bought 3/4 wagons very cheaply.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Just think that 'plastic' wood applique just has to be better (if not so genuine) than 'real' wood. I'm thinking of all that rattling/squeaking and draughts.......perhaps a bit too much like driving a old C3....😋

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
This beauty turned up at a local classic car meet a couple of years back . The quality of the woodwork and joinery sweeping round the trunk was stunning .Woody.JPG

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They were very well put together and were a very expensive item when new. They have always retained an air of quality and expensiveness throughout the years and have now skyrocketed in price. A very sort after car.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I’m thinking of the mid 80s version. View attachment 16831
View attachment 16832

Oh, so you're trying to make me puke ! :)
My father had a 1960s Ford station wagon with the fake wood, that thing could not get out of its own way and no way give me a big woodie :)

All young kids rather have this

1956 Firebird II​

The General Motors Firebird II, a gas-turbine powered engineering concept car, was introduced at the 1956 GM Motorama. Firebird II was the successor to the famous 1953 Firebird I.
The four-passenger Firebird II was characterized by innovations like a titanium body, a regenerative gas turbine, all-wheel independent suspension with automatic load-leveling, power disc brakes, alternator, magnetic ignition key, electric gear selection, and individually-controlled air conditioning.

1956_Firebird_II2.jpg

Very cool designing

Last edited: