Other classic cars

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Nostalgia is great. I wonder in say 2065, if people will look back and fondly remember 2022. ?
I donโ€™t think in say 1969 people looked back and fondly remembered 1929.

antijam

CCCUK Member

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Nostalgia is great. I wonder in say 2065, if people will look back and fondly remember 2022. ?
I donโ€™t think in say 1969 people looked back and fondly remembered 1929.
You know what they say about nostalgia , its rembering things the way they never were . But by `eck they were good old days ! Ricketts , Ringworm , Dyptheria and beef dripping sandwiches for tea every day . We were poor but we were `appy ! :ROFLMAO:

Roscobbc

View attachment 16757
So many classics to choose from. I don't think I could resist a 59 cadillac though.
The Romford road from Seven Kings, through Ilford, Manor Park, Forest Gate all the way through to Statford - a distance of perhaps 4 or 5 miles was full of second hand cars dealers - some of the lots backed on to the main railway line and included derelict WW2 bomb flattened sites. In the 50's and 60's and perhaps a little later were the places that many chose to buy an old banger from some fairly dubious looking characters. Many of these 'dealers' ran American cars, the '59 and '60 Cadillac was a popular choice....in fact anything big, shiny and bedecked with chrome did the job for the dealers. Thing was that no one, absolutely wanted these cars. They didn't want the Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Aston Martins either. UK plc was broke for at least 20 years after WW2 and it just wasn't the 'done thing' to have a flashy, ostentatious car that perhaps only did 10 mpg. Interestingly all these cars could be bought for peanuts.........especially the '59 and '60 Caddi's. People actually hated them - too big, too flashy, too American and, even worse over here in the UK. They were pennies to buy. You would actually see a few of them on the Romford road semi-derelict. Dealers couldn't sell them, they didn't care - just left them where they stood (being worth nothing as such) I remember a gold '59 or '60 - must have had the optional air suspension just sitting on its bump stops virtually on the ground in a side road near Woodgrange station for years.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The same with Mk 2 Jauguars . Back in 1970 I went with my mates to big scrap yard that backed onto the main railway line in Wellingorough ( funny how they all backed on railway lines !) to look for seats to fit in an old Commer 15 cwt van we had bought to drive through Europe in . We clambered over piles of cars and stripped out the front and rear leather seats from the Jag Mk 2 and bolted them into the back of the van . The would have been a couple quid or so because the van only cost us ยฃ60 !! Imagine doing that these days . Boy , we sure had some fun in that van . :D

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Apart from the normal depreciation cycle the first major oil crisis was the killer for large engined cars. You just couldnโ€™t sell them.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That Caddy was a big ass PUCK boat :mad:
An uncle had a 1958 with those big ass fins (reminds me of a 57 Chevy Belair had fins like that)
and one time about 8 of us were crammed in it and not enough room
so I was made to sit on the rear bench seat area floor ๐Ÿ–•

Was a long trip and the caddy was like a big ass boat on the ocean and I think exhaust was also coming in
I was so fricking puking seasick and from then on would never sit in any rear seat !

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Never liked the side trim on the 59 fleetwood. The 59 Eldorado is one of THE cars of the fifties, the other for some reason is the 57 Bel Air. The Eldorado I can understand. It was Cadillacs flagship car and with those tail fins soo outrageous. Also the price was horrendous. The Bel Air on the other hand was a 200k plus model year production cheap and cheerful everyday car for the masses. Go figure. ๐Ÿค”