Other classic cars

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always liked “hideaways” especially on 69 Camaro RS/SS models. Ford used them quite a lot, cougars, XL’s, Thunderbirds, and the Torino. That GT looks great with the hideaways and shaker.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

The 1969 Torino dash was fine IMO, a nice selection of pods. The 1970 was a complete disaster. Soo plain compared to the 1970 mustang, and 1971 wasn’t much better. Again the all new mustang for 1971 was quite nice, especially when you ordered the additional gauges for the centre console, as shown in the picture
You really needed to 'tick all the boxes' regarding interior on '71 or you'd get the ugly ywo spoke steering wheel, non 'knitted' vinyl seat covers and standard door trims without built-in handles and mock wood inserts - even centre console was an option I believe.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You really needed to 'tick all the boxes' regarding interior on '71 or you'd get the ugly ywo spoke steering wheel, non 'knitted' vinyl seat covers and standard door trims without built-in handles and mock wood inserts - even centre console was an option I believe.
Indeed you did. There were so many individual options for every model from every manufacturer. You could really tailor your new car to exactly how you wanted it. From engine, exterior appearance, interior and extras. You were in control.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
1971 was the first year for power windows offered on a mustang. Was always a very rare fitted option as the majority of buyers chose NOT to have them even tho it was a cheap extra. I’ve never personally had a 71-73 mustang with them fitted.

Roscobbc

1971 was the first year for power windows offered on a mustang. Was always a very rare fitted option as the majority of buyers chose NOT to have them even tho it was a cheap extra. I’ve never personally had a 71-73 mustang with them fitted.
My '71 Mach 1 SCJ had them and probably all other options.....but had horrible two spoke steering wheel.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My '71 Mach 1 SCJ had them and probably all other options.....but had horrible two spoke steering wheel.
That was/is a horrible steering wheel. You would have thought the original buyer having ordered the best motor and as it had power windows and more, they would have had a nice rim blow wheel.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just had a look, the rim blow wheel was a whopping $39 bucks. As most cars were financed the extra per month to have it was vertically nothing.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
This is the standard wheel.
Whoever designed a wheel like that wants shooting, along with the so called Ford “executive “ who OK’ed it for use.
6C0B1E85-5A01-4C93-9674-AF4B2A35F31A.jpeg

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Image from 30 years ago.
The 'real deal' - Light Metallic Pewter Mach 1 Mustang 429 SCJ - 'Drag Pak, so 4.11 Detroit Locker - C6 - 780 CFM Holley - solid cam and mechanical lifters - one of just 535 made. Now in the 'States presumably undergoing full restoration. Rarer than Boss 429.

MUSTANG429.jpgMUSTANG429SIDE.jpg

Roscobbc

Perhaps the nicest interior of any Yank I have ever owned.......Emberglo metallic Red XL interior in '66 Galaxie 7 Litre
1966_Ford_Galaxie_7L_2017-02-24.2742.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s a great looking interior. Those bucket seats in a full size coupe really make the interior pop.

the Mach 1 sure looks nice. That pewter poly was a real nice colour. The Franklin Mint done one in that Color as a Boss in 1/24 scale. I have it in my collection.
Nice to know it’s still about, worth big bucks nowadays.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Completely off topic, but my first car was also lettered "L ... FTM" as well - my 1.9 205 GTi (but rocking the 2 litre 16v engine from the 306 GTi6 here at the 'Ring):
_dsc1363_wm.jpg

And also to make another small world, I found this lovely Rover V8 estate with manual gearbox at the last show I was at - and it too has the "FTM ... L" reg plate.

20210814_154631.jpg

Last edited: