Wanted: Very Cheap and Immaculate C3..........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As much as I really enjoy the excess brute power of my Vette (with no electronic 'aids') it is hard , noisy, hot work..........and, yes perhaps time for something more civilised........
All cars ( Corvettes included) have come a long way since your 68 was made. As you say, it’s brutish, noisy, hot, and not too comfy. Of course back then we all didn’t know any better, and for a little sports car it was the norm. Times have changed. Nowadays you can have all the luxuries in a performance car. When I use my 65, it’s a bit of a novelty for me, and I still enjoy it. Being a small block and auto it’s a little bit civilised except for the noise of the side pipes. Being a convertible is also easy to get in and out off, which helps.

Roscobbc

Pro - rata I'm guessing that far more Callaway Corvettes were sold with engine mods only - as if these mods wern't expensive enough the body and 'aero' panels certainly racked-up the cost of the car - kinda odd really as so many cars only had perhaps one or two body mods.......wasn't often you'd see a Callaway with full body kit.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Pro - rata I'm guessing that far more Callaway Corvettes were sold with engine mods only - as if these mods wern't expensive enough the body and 'aero' panels certainly racked-up the cost of the car - kinda odd really as so many cars only had perhaps one or two body mods.......wasn't often you'd see a Callaway with full body kit.
Not sure when the Aerobody came out, think it was 1990. At the time it was a $10k option.
Do you remember Brian Neighbours black 89 coupe. He bought the Areobody and had it fitted. It really looked the business. I believe it’s in Sweden now.
From what I understand all the areobody panels just bolt on, no expensive bodywork needed.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

There was someone in Kent trying to sell a supposed limited edition early 90's Callaway for years (called 100 something or other I think) - it was a crazy price even way above what one would expect to see for a Callaway. There was also a Vette bodied-up as a Callaway with a stock engine for sale for a while. The most recent one I know of for sale was the early highly modified one owned by a CCCUK member from Saffron Walden. He saw his one for sale in his local auction house and was the only bidder. It was featured a few yeaes ago in Vette News.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There was someone in Kent trying to sell a supposed limited edition early 90's Callaway for years (called 100 something or other I think) - it was a crazy price even way above what one would expect to see for a Callaway. There was also a Vette bodied-up as a Callaway with a stock engine for sale for a while. The most recent one I know of for sale was the early highly modified one owned by a CCCUK member from Saffron Walden. He saw his one for sale in his local auction house and was the only bidder. It was featured a few yeaes ago in Vette News.
I think I saw that one advertised, it was silver or a light grey colour. About an 1987 so one of the first.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always easier in a convertible with the top down. Also OK on a coupe with the T-Tops off, but when on getting in/out can be a little difficult.
Mind you, once in its nice and snug.

Roscobbc

First person to take me out in a Callaway was the late 'Mustang George' Wilkinson in his silver '87. We did back to back runs up the A12 from Harold Hill. My Vette still had the oem 390 427. First really odd thing about the Callaway was the noise under boost. It was like an old fashioned electric kettle boiling away. Performance of the Callaway was much like the Vette - bags of low end grunt. But the Callaway cornered, and braked and didn't stop for breath......150 mph was very achievable even with roof off.......not acheivable with a L36 C3.....no way!

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
First person to take me out in a Callaway was the late 'Mustang George' Wilkinsons in his silver '87. We did back to back runs up the A12 from Harold Hill. My Vette still had the oem 390 427. First really odd thing about the Callaway was the noise under boost. It was like an old fashioned electric kettle boiling away. Performance of the Callaway was much like the Vette - bags of low end grunt. But the Callaway cornered, and braked and didn't stop for breath......150 mph was very achievable even with roof off.......not acheivable with a L36 C3.....no way!
A pretty rare car. I think I saw it a number of times. 87 was the first year callaway produced “his “ corvette. It’s also the only year they used the NACA ducts on the hood. I rather like those, makes it look mean.

Roscobbc

There's a knack to it - I slide in like pulling on a welly full of Swarfega :giggle: (y)
I have a dodgy back (missing lower disc) and for me the C3 coupe seating position is one of the most comfortable positions, sitting low to the floor works particularly well for me.
A pretty rare car. I think I saw it a number of times. 87 was the first year callaway produced “his “ corvette. It’s also the only year they used the NACA ducts on the hood. I rather like those, makes it look mean.
George did not take prisoners out there on the street - he would literally 'sit on the rear bumper of any car (or bike) at any speed he was driving - I've been in 'convoy' with him at three digit speeds in his 460 powered '67 fastback and seen him force lesser stuff out of the way......bit of a legend really.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I have a dodgy back (missing lower disc) and for me the C3 coupe seating position is one of the most comfortable positions, sitting low to the floor works particularly well for me.

George did not take prisoners out there on the street - he would literally 'sit on the rear bumper of any car (or bike) at any speed he was driving - I've been in 'convoy' with him at three digit speeds in his 460 powered '67 fastback and seen him force lesser stuff out of the way......bit of a legend really.
Wow, he sounds like a demon. Did he mellow with age, or was he still full on later in life.

Roscobbc

Wow, he sounds like a demon. Did he mellow with age, or was he still full on later in life.
If there were any changes in his 'on road attitude and presence' I can't say they were ever noticable...........it was fun watching him on the road........he hated bike riders with a vengance for some reason and it would show!