Wanted: Very Cheap and Immaculate C3..........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Depends on what you mean by old ! I am not ready for a wheel chair and commode jusy yet .
Sorry, perhaps old was the wrong wording. Age affects everybody differently. Getting in/out can be more difficult the older you get. A friend of mine who’s 67 can’t get in a C3 or C4, he just can bend enough.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
We don't have tilt/tele wheel so it's harder.
Also the actual steering wheel is a large diameter compared to most of today’s steering wheels which can make it difficult to enter/exit.
The old “swing away wheel” as fitted to “cigar” shape or “bullitt birds” 1961-63 Thunderbirds was a great feature. Made entering/exiting the car so much easier.

Kevin Stevens

CCCUK Member
Kev, You still looking for a C3. I have a Red T-Top 1980 with red leather seats, owned it for 23yrs, was a previous Sussex rep, but I am in Norfolk.

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
Thank you.
It has small issues that I need to work through so may need some advice. The main ones are:
1. Service brakes. It looks like it has a new servo but the brakes still need a huge amount of pressure to bring it to a stand still. Way beyond anything I’m used to.
2. Clutch. You really need to push the pedal into the carpet to get a near smooth gear change. Reverse is clunky. There’s about two+ inches of free play on the pedal.
I suppose the other thing I should see to is the windscreen wipers. There is just a click from the motor area when I select wipers. If I raise the wiper cover manually (with the plunger below the steering column), turn the wipers on and turn the service parking knob, wipers move a little bit then return to park. I’m sure this is just an earth issue so not too fussed.
Oh, and the aerial. It’s permanently extended. Doesn’t retract when the radio is switched off. Should it?
Thanks. Maybe I should post these issues to the C3 forum.

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
No no no.:rolleyes: My other passion is motorbikes and MotoGP. I used to ride down there and camp but these days it's a comfy motorhome.:)

Letank

CCCUK Member
Oh, and the aerial. It’s permanently extended. Doesn’t retract when the radio is switched off. Should it?
It looks like you have a fixed antenna from the pics. If you plan to put a cover on the car, you can loosen the nut and remove the antenna really easily. Congrats on the purchase btw 👍🏻

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve got servo brakes on mine and they really don’t require any effort at all, quiet long pedal travel but very light.

Clutch pivot shaft is pretty easy to adjust, just follow the book and see what happens. When you adjust it make sure the pedal itself is at the top of its travel, I made that mistake once.

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
It looks like you have a fixed antenna from the pics. If you plan to put a cover on the car, you can loosen the nut and remove the antenna really easily. Congrats on the purchase btw 👍🏻
Ahh, fixed, that figures. Thanks for the top tip. I found a loose switch under the upholstery left of the stowed soft top. I wondered if someone had wired it in to control the aerial. It doesn’t operate the courtesy light at the back of the baggage compartment (or soft top stowage).

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
I’ve got servo brakes on mine and they really don’t require any effort at all, quiet long pedal travel but very light.

Clutch pivot shaft is pretty easy to adjust, just follow the book and see what happens. When you adjust it make sure the pedal itself is at the top of its travel, I made that mistake once.
Thanks for that. I’m pleased to hear that they should be better. I’ve driven it less than 20 miles so far and have locked the wheels twice, both times due to cars overtaking cyclists on a bend. If this carries on I’ll have a right leg like Arnie Schwarzenegger’s!!
I’m popping it on a friends car lift next week so should be able to sort a few issues, including adjusting the handbrake.